Are all cultures equal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2016, 02:38 PM
RE: Are all cultures equal?
(22-02-2016 01:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I take it you are of the male Caucasian “culture”.

Nope. I am a half breed -- Native American and "caucasian male."

Hispanic high school drop out rate is the highest of any ethnic group at 14%. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...education/ That's not "lumping." That's a fucking fact.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2016, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 07:42 PM by Full Circle.)
(22-02-2016 02:38 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 01:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I take it you are of the male Caucasian “culture”.

Nope. I am a half breed -- Native American and "caucasian male."

Hispanic high school drop out rate is the highest of any ethnic group at 14%. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...education/ That's not "lumping." That's a fucking fact.

So from the Pew research:
#1 -Over the past decade, the Hispanic high school dropout rate has dropped dramatically.
#2 - Hispanics are making big inroads in college enrollment
#3 - Even though more Hispanics are getting a postsecondary education than ever before, Hispanics still lag other groups in obtaining a four-year degree.
#4 - Another reason Hispanics lag in bachelor’s degrees is that nearly half who go to college attend a public two-year school, the highest share of any race or ethnicity.
#5 - Hispanics are significantly less likely than other groups to have student debt.

Hardly supports your original statement that “Hispanics do not value education”.
Reading a bit into this more Hispanics are attending college and paying for it as they attend.

Again, could it be that there are other factors involved? Such as 1st and 2nd generation immigrants whose parents didn’t or couldn’t go to school (college or otherwise) and have low paying wages that preclude them from sending their kids to get a higher education? Or that to make ends meet the teenage kids have to go work to help the family?

I would love to see the statistics between Hispanics who have been in the US for multiple generations vs those that are recently arrived. I see the difference here in Miami with the Cubans who came during the 1960’s and those who came in the Mariel boat lift in 1981 and more recently the influx of new arrivals.

Those that came in the 1960’s pretty much run Miami (hold almost all the elected offices) and are the movers and shakers. Their children attended or attend the private schools and are sent to the best universities. One of those is now running for POTUS.

Compared to the 1981 group, this group is just now beginning to make inroads with higher education. The recently arrived don’t even speak the language so school, especially higher education is not a possibility...yet.

Anyway, it is apparent that you have a highly selective view of the situation, especially after reading the Pew research you point to.

And yes, you are lumping. It would be like me saying all English speakers are fill-in-the-blank. Aussies, Canadians, Brits, Irish, New Zealanders etc. See my point?

PS Another link on the very same page you referenced:
Hispanic College Enrollmemt Surpasses Whites for First Time
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...irst-time/
Smartass

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
22-02-2016, 03:10 PM
The purpose of culture, from an evolutionary perspective, is to aid in survival in those many situations where our biological predispositions would otherwise be insufficient. The practicality of a culture is highly dependent on the needs of the society in which it is practiced. As those needs change, cultures, or at least certain aspects of cultures, must adapt. If people practicing a certain culture choose to remain emotionally attached to those aspects of it that have become detrimental rather than beneficial to their survival, then that culture is arguably inferior.

I am not racist, but I am very much culturist. That's not to say I necessarily believe different cultures should be treated as a threat, that's a whole different debate. I am merely saying that the beliefs which make up those cultures can indeed be counterproductive towards the evolutionary reasons humans have culture.

'Murican Canadian
22-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Meaningless without first defining "equal".

What are the qualitative and quantitative factors comprising that evaluation?

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
22-02-2016, 04:32 PM
(22-02-2016 11:32 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I've noticed they try to use the argument that the "hijab" gives them a larger sense of freedom. It's a strange position to take.

The most common answer is that it is being less beholden to standards of physical appearance that is liberating.

Which is not strange at all...

... this is my signature!
22-02-2016, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2016 04:43 PM by DerFish.)
(22-02-2016 12:27 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't think that all cultures are equal. If you want example just look at female genital mutilation. To make people suffer in name of idiocy is a hallmark of culture worthy nothing but scorn.

I never figured out why female genital mutilation is any worse than male genital mutilation as was done to me and all my brothers.
Can you enlighten me? Why not be against all genital mutilation?
22-02-2016, 04:40 PM
(22-02-2016 04:38 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 12:27 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't think that all cultures are equal. If you want example just look at female genital mutilation. To make people suffer in name of idiocy is a hallmark of culture worthy nothing but scorn.

I never figured out why female genital mutilation is any worse than male genital mutilation as was done me and all my brothers.
Can you enlighten me? Why not be against all genital mutulation?

People are more or less inured due to its ubiquitousness. They are both human rights violations.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2016, 04:47 PM

I never figured out why female genital mutilation is any worse than male genital mutilation as was done to me and all my brothers.

Female genital mutilation is often done because it takes away a womens ability to feel pleasure from having sex. It's done as a "we man dominate women" caveman bullshit.

Chopping the tip of a dudes dick skin off on the other hand does not take away his ability to feel sexual pleasure. I'm not saying I'm pro chopping dick skin, I'm just saying that it doesn't effect those guys 'effected' anywhere near the level that it effects those poor African women effected.

Atleast that's what I've been told/read.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
22-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Sure on the regards that a culture is a culture and another culture is a culture. And a sub-culture is a culture. There is your equal notion of a culture vs another culture.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
23-02-2016, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2016 01:20 AM by Szuchow.)

I was using this as a example. Also look at Earmuffs post.

In the end though I'm against both, even if circumcision really lovers risk of cancer. FGM however looks to me as being more invasive and painful as it's not only cutting the skin and this is why I used it as a example.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.