Are all cultures equal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2016, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2016 01:22 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
RE: Are all cultures equal?
(23-02-2016 11:23 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 11:12 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Since some cultural values are entirely incompatible with one another, I would say no.

This is where the debate starts, though.

What is the ultimate standard? The Platonic form? Is there one?

If there is no actual set of universal values all cultures are both equal and unequal at the time same.

They can be logically inconsistent (i.e. inherently contradictory) without there being any set of universal values. There doesn't need to be a set of universal values to say the concept of female circumcision, for example, is incompatible with the concept of feminism. It's also different than saying cultures which accept feminism are superior to cultures which practice female circumcision. Moreover, how cultures deal with the suffering of its members can be highly inconsistent as well, and so there is more suffering in some cultures than others (that is not to say that all cultures necessarily have the means to effectively deal with the suffering of its members at this moment, or are entirely responsible for that suffering).

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2016, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2016 01:15 PM by carol.)
(22-02-2016 04:38 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 12:27 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't think that all cultures are equal. If you want example just look at female genital mutilation. To make people suffer in name of idiocy is a hallmark of culture worthy nothing but scorn.

I never figured out why female genital mutilation is any worse than male genital mutilation as was done to me and all my brothers.
Can you enlighten me? Why not be against all genital mutilation?
May be too much information, do not read if a fussypants:

Although both can be painful and dangerous, circumcision never removes the penile shaft. Female mutilation involves the vulva-both the outer in inner parts, removing the entire clitoris, Gasp and sewing it into a small hole. That makes sex for women painful from then on- forever afterwards because of scar tissue.
Healing for a man can take a few days to a week, for a woman can take months. Women can have health problems the rest of their lives because of it, including problems with childbirth.
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
23-02-2016, 01:16 PM
(23-02-2016 01:10 PM)carol Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 04:38 PM)DerFish Wrote:  I never figured out why female genital mutilation is any worse than male genital mutilation as was done to me and all my brothers.
Can you enlighten me? Why not be against all genital mutilation?
May be too much information, do not read if a fussypants:

Although both can be painful and dangerous, circumcision never removes the penile shaft. Female mutilation involves the vulva-both the outer in inner parts, removing the entire clitoris, Gasp and sewing it into a small hole. That makes sex for women painful from then on- forever afterwards because of scar tissue.
Healing for a man can take a few days to a week, for a woman can take months. Women can have health problems the rest of their lives because of it, including problems with childbirth.

I believe there are various procedures and degrees of severity depending on the culture.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-02-2016, 01:25 PM
(23-02-2016 01:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 01:10 PM)carol Wrote:  May be too much information, do not read if a fussypants:

I believe there are various procedures and degrees of severity depending on the culture.

Yes, I have read that too.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/
23-02-2016, 02:13 PM
(23-02-2016 12:30 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 11:23 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  This is where the debate starts, though.

What is the ultimate standard? The Platonic form? Is there one?

If there is no actual set of universal values all cultures are both equal and unequal at the time same.

They can be logically inconsistent (i.e. inherently contradictory) without there being any set of universal values. There doesn't need to be a set of universal values to say the concept of female circumcision, for example, is incompatible with the concept of feminism. It's also different than saying cultures which accept feminism are superior to cultures which practice female circumcision. Moreover, how cultures deal with the suffering of its members can be highly inconsistent as well, and so there is more suffering in some cultures than others (that is not to say that all cultures necessarily have the means to effectively deal with the suffering of its members at this moment, or are entirely responsible for that suffering).

Agreed.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
24-02-2016, 02:16 PM
(22-02-2016 10:48 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  This question is something I've been going over in my mine all day. I really am not sure. What're your opinions?

P.s Wasn't sure which section I was to post this thread in, sorry!

Morally equal? No, of course not.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
24-02-2016, 04:46 PM
(24-02-2016 02:16 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 10:48 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  This question is something I've been going over in my mine all day. I really am not sure. What're your opinions?

P.s Wasn't sure which section I was to post this thread in, sorry!

Morally equal? No, of course not.

You have to try better than that.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
25-02-2016, 04:28 PM
(24-02-2016 04:46 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(24-02-2016 02:16 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Morally equal? No, of course not.

You have to try better than that.

Why? You didn't ask for specifics. Do you think that a culture that practices female genital mutilation is morally equal to one that does not? Do you think that a culture which respects individual rights as American culture used to, even if imperfectly, is morally equal to North Korea? I don't.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
26-02-2016, 10:23 AM
It's all personal preference.

There is no objective moral inequality amongst cultures.
27-02-2016, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2016 09:11 PM by Bear100.)
although giving equal respect to all cultures seem like a justified argument at first glance, I don't think all cultures deserve to be respected equally

let's take the despicable practice of islamic honor killing for example. unfortunately it's not all too uncommon to hear of some teenager getting raped and then getting killed by father afterwards for "soiling her purity". let's take a look at this newspaper article (found it in one of my textbooks, actually) - admittedly 2004 isn't the most recent year, but that this is even happening in 21st century is alarming enough.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-blog...7075/posts

looking at the headline: Ignoring the pleas of his 14-year-old daughter to spare her life, Mehmet Halitogullari pulled on a wire wrapped around her neck and strangled her — supposedly to restore the family's honor after she was kidnapped and raped.

if we were to accept that all cultures deserve equal respect, we would also give equal respect to this incredibly backwards custom rooted from archaic religious sexism. it's seriously flawed morally to pretty much any sane person living in a morally developed world.

there are also other examples like suttee (illegal today) and FGM (already been mentioned) that undermine the idea that all cultures deserve to be respected equally.
[+] 1 user Likes Bear100's post