Are all cultures equal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 05:29 AM
RE: Are all cultures equal?
(27-02-2016 09:08 PM)Bear100 Wrote:  although giving equal respect to all cultures seem like a justified argument at first glance, I don't think all cultures deserve to be respected equally

let's take the despicable practice of islamic honor killing for example. unfortunately it's not all too uncommon to hear of some teenager getting raped and then getting killed by father afterwards for "soiling her purity". let's take a look at this newspaper article (found it in one of my textbooks, actually) - admittedly 2004 isn't the most recent year, but that this is even happening in 21st century is alarming enough.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-blog...7075/posts

looking at the headline: Ignoring the pleas of his 14-year-old daughter to spare her life, Mehmet Halitogullari pulled on a wire wrapped around her neck and strangled her — supposedly to restore the family's honor after she was kidnapped and raped.

if we were to accept that all cultures deserve equal respect, we would also give equal respect to this incredibly backwards custom rooted from archaic religious sexism. it's seriously flawed morally to pretty much any sane person living in a morally developed world.

there are also other examples like suttee (illegal today) and FGM (already been mentioned) that undermine the idea that all cultures deserve to be respected equally.

Some people think abortion is despicable. Some people think killing and eating animals is despicable. Are these people as correct as you are?

As far as respect goes, nothing "deserves" respect. We can choose whether or not we want to respect something. If we like something, we'll probably respect it, if not, we probably won't. Just a basic human characteristic....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2016, 07:16 AM
(28-02-2016 05:29 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 09:08 PM)Bear100 Wrote:  although giving equal respect to all cultures seem like a justified argument at first glance, I don't think all cultures deserve to be respected equally

let's take the despicable practice of islamic honor killing for example. unfortunately it's not all too uncommon to hear of some teenager getting raped and then getting killed by father afterwards for "soiling her purity". let's take a look at this newspaper article (found it in one of my textbooks, actually) - admittedly 2004 isn't the most recent year, but that this is even happening in 21st century is alarming enough.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-blog...7075/posts

looking at the headline: Ignoring the pleas of his 14-year-old daughter to spare her life, Mehmet Halitogullari pulled on a wire wrapped around her neck and strangled her — supposedly to restore the family's honor after she was kidnapped and raped.

if we were to accept that all cultures deserve equal respect, we would also give equal respect to this incredibly backwards custom rooted from archaic religious sexism. it's seriously flawed morally to pretty much any sane person living in a morally developed world.

there are also other examples like suttee (illegal today) and FGM (already been mentioned) that undermine the idea that all cultures deserve to be respected equally.

Some people think abortion is despicable. Some people think killing and eating animals is despicable. Are these people as correct as you are?

As far as respect goes, nothing "deserves" respect. We can choose whether or not we want to respect something. If we like something, we'll probably respect it, if not, we probably won't. Just a basic human characteristic....

Without a respect for human life and individual autonomy, a peaceful, productive, humane society cannot exist.
Humans across the world and all through history have discovered and re-discovered this fact.
So there's that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-02-2016, 08:27 AM
(28-02-2016 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 05:29 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Some people think abortion is despicable. Some people think killing and eating animals is despicable. Are these people as correct as you are?

Without a respect for human life and individual autonomy, a peaceful, productive, humane society cannot exist.
Humans across the world and all through history have discovered and re-discovered this fact.
So there's that.

Exactly, that's why there is no such thing as "a peaceful, productive, humane society."

It's in our nature to compete with each other, and when we're desperate, we act like a cornered wolf (we bite), and concern for anyone else's autonomy goes out the window.

As long as humans exist, a peaceful, productive, and humane society will not.

So there's that....
28-02-2016, 09:43 AM
(28-02-2016 08:27 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  Without a respect for human life and individual autonomy, a peaceful, productive, humane society cannot exist.
So there's that.

Exactly, that's why there is no such thing as "a peaceful, productive, humane society."

It's in our nature to compete with each other, and when we're desperate, we act like a cornered wolf (we bite), and concern for anyone else's autonomy goes out the window.

As long as humans exist, a peaceful, productive, and humane society will not.

So there's that....

That's a false unproven cobclusion.

Especially since the terms are so loose. You could potentially have a society like that in the future with say 10 living humans living in a robotic over abundant on resources region.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-02-2016, 10:01 PM
(28-02-2016 08:27 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 07:16 AM)Chas Wrote:  Without a respect for human life and individual autonomy, a peaceful, productive, humane society cannot exist.
So there's that.

If you mean there is no perfect example, sure. There never will be, but you consistently portray things in absolute terms.

Quote:It's in our nature to compete with each other, and when we're desperate, we act like a cornered wolf (we bite), and concern for anyone else's autonomy goes out the window.

And that is why there are laws and limitations on behavior, i'e' freedom.

Quote:As long as humans exist, a peaceful, productive, and humane society will not.

If you mean there will never be a perfect one, sure. But neither will there ever be perfect freedom because that is an ideal.

Quote:So there's that....

No, there isn't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2016, 09:19 AM
(28-02-2016 05:29 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Some people think abortion is despicable. Some people think killing and eating animals is despicable. Are these people as correct as you are?

with all due respect to fetuses and animals, abortion and killing/eating animals are are a more morally complex that we're still finding answers for so there are bound to be stronger disagreements on this matter at this point in time. (i.e. should we apply equal human rights for fetus and animals?)

honor killing, on the other hand, is a clear violation of human rights that undermines value of human life and autonomy (as Chas pointed out) in the name of extreme sexism and piety, that is in no way comparable to abortion and killing/eating animals.

Quote:As far as respect goes, nothing "deserves" respect. We can choose whether or not we want to respect something. If we like something, we'll probably respect it, if not, we probably won't. Just a basic human characteristic....

it was a response to the original poster who wanted to know this in the first place (not that I am "blaming" him for asking):

(22-02-2016 11:16 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Maybe the question is a bit ambiguous. I mean to ask whether or not people think all cultures deserve to be equally respected and treated equal.
06-03-2016, 01:17 PM
(22-02-2016 10:48 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  This question is something I've been going over in my mine all day. I really am not sure. What're your opinions?

P.s Wasn't sure which section I was to post this thread in, sorry!

Nope. Tribalism for example is terrible, harmful to both the individual and the group as a whole. When you look around the world almost everywhere you find it you find wanton human suffering.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
06-03-2016, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 07:12 PM by Matt Finney.)
(29-02-2016 09:19 AM)Bear100 Wrote:  

with all due respect to fetuses and animals, abortion and killing/eating animals are are a more morally complex that we're still finding answers for so there are bound to be stronger disagreements on this matter at this point in time. (i.e. should we apply equal human rights for fetus and animals?)

honor killing, on the other hand, is a clear violation of human rights that undermines value of human life and autonomy (as Chas pointed out) in the name of extreme sexism and piety, that is in no way comparable to abortion and killing/eating animals.

Quote:As far as respect goes, nothing "deserves" respect. We can choose whether or not we want to respect something. If we like something, we'll probably respect it, if not, we probably won't. Just a basic human characteristic....

it was a response to the original poster who wanted to know this in the first place (not that I am "blaming" him for asking):

(22-02-2016 11:16 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Maybe the question is a bit ambiguous. I mean to ask whether or not people think all cultures deserve to be equally respected and treated equal.

Ok, so killing human animals is a violation of human animal rights, but killing non-human animals is not a violation of non-human animal rights? Huh

Are humans the only animals with rights? (do any animals actually have rights?)

(in the above, I only say "human animals" is because humans are indeed animals, whether we want to admit it or not)
06-03-2016, 02:50 PM
(06-03-2016 01:17 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(22-02-2016 10:48 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  This question is something I've been going over in my mine all day. I really am not sure. What're your opinions?

P.s Wasn't sure which section I was to post this thread in, sorry!

Nope. Tribalism for example is terrible, harmful to both the individual and the group as a whole. When you look around the world almost everywhere you find it you find wanton human suffering.

So, if someone had a desire for harm, both for themselves and others, then tribalism would be superior, correct?
07-03-2016, 05:24 AM
(06-03-2016 02:50 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 01:17 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Nope. Tribalism for example is terrible, harmful to both the individual and the group as a whole. When you look around the world almost everywhere you find it you find wanton human suffering.

So, if someone had a desire for harm, both for themselves and others, then tribalism would be superior, correct?
Define superior.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.