Are all religions equal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Rainbow Are all religions equal?
As of late, I’ve heard the saying “I treat all religions the same”. However, I say they’re not. The logical fallacies committed by the scientologists differ in severity from that of Christians. While they all have the same underlying insidious belief in a god and faith, the principles applied by them are far different, and the ground down principles of Christianity aren’t as harmful in comparison to those of Islam. So why do you say they are all the same? Or do you say that in the first place?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 11:39 PM
RE: Are all religions equal?
(06-02-2012 11:20 PM)confuzedsushi Wrote:  As of late, I’ve heard the saying “I treat all religions the same”. However, I say they’re not. The logical fallacies committed by the scientologists differ in severity from that of Christians. While they all have the same underlying insidious belief in a god and faith, the principles applied by them are far different, and the ground down principles of Christianity aren’t as harmful in comparison to those of Islam. So why do you say they are all the same? Or do you say that in the first place?

I'm not one of the people saying "all religions are the same", but I don't think they differ in "logical fallacies". Do you have an example?

I think the effects of religions make them different. If Christians and Muslims didn't try to impress their morality and practices on us, then we wouldn't have much of a problem with them. I shake my head at the stupidity of believing in Buddhist gods, but I'd never waste my time trying to convert a Buddhist --- their belief system doesn't interfere with mine in any way. I feel the same way about Wikkans and Pagans. I don't understand why they'd worship nature, but I could give a flying fuck because I know they are never going to preach to me or try to change my country's laws to conform to their religious beliefs.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
07-02-2012, 01:38 AM
i dont think the logical fallacies matter as much as the central "commands" of the
religion how they are told to interact with their members/other people.
you also forget the dark ages christians who tortured and exicuted for religion
and some of the modern day christian terrorists like abortion clinic bombers and the norway guy

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
(06-02-2012 11:20 PM)confuzedsushi Wrote:  As of late, I’ve heard the saying “I treat all religions the same”. However, I say they’re not. The logical fallacies committed by the scientologists differ in severity from that of Christians. While they all have the same underlying insidious belief in a god and faith, the principles applied by them are far different, and the ground down principles of Christianity aren’t as harmful in comparison to those of Islam. So why do you say they are all the same? Or do you say that in the first place?

In the sense that they are all untrue, they are equal.

But some are more equal than others.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Scientology is on the bottom of the list. Close to it is Mormonism and Satanism. I'd call it a tier of relevance.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
(06-02-2012 11:39 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I shake my head at the stupidity of believing in Buddhist gods, but I'd never waste my time trying to convert a Buddhist --- their belief system doesn't interfere with mine in any way.

I thought Buddhism didn't have gods? Do you mean Hinduism?

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
07-02-2012, 11:37 AM
(07-02-2012 11:17 AM)tazmin98 Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 11:39 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I shake my head at the stupidity of believing in Buddhist gods, but I'd never waste my time trying to convert a Buddhist --- their belief system doesn't interfere with mine in any way.

I thought Buddhism didn't have gods? Do you mean Hinduism?

No, I meant Buddhism... but I realize now that only certain sects of Buddhism worship Gods, after looking it up. Forgive my ignorance of Buddhism. As I said, it doesn't behoove me to try to convert a Buddhist, so I have literally no interest in knowing more about what they believe in the interest of figuring out "what's wrong with it", like I do with other religions.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
07-02-2012, 11:57 AM

I guess I fall into the “I treat all religions the same” category.
As you most rightly pointed out, "they all have the same underlying insidious belief in a god and faith". That's enough for me.

As long as there is a benign version, the door remains open to the more radical version which is sure to sprout and flourish sooner or later.
Had christianity been squashed all those many years ago, or the dogma that spawned it, would islam have sprouted? I'd say not.
Educate humanity to reduce religions sinister grip on the human mind.

I say condemn each and every one until it completely disappears from existence.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 12:13 PM by Thomas.)
Do we use a "body count" to evaluate which one has been worse?
The religion with the least brutality is the best?

Joe Stalin (50 million) was more of a mass murder than Hitler (25 million).
The winnier is?

The root problem is the same in all religions. Blind faith.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
07-02-2012, 01:05 PM
All religions are equal in the sense that they are all MAN MADE and designed chiefly to control people through fear in one form or another.

Religions are equal in the sense that each has, to some degree (albeit minor) some good points.
Some say that the basic, collective teachings of religions are "timeless" which may be true but they don't need a system of fear, coercion, manipulation and blackmail to be delivered with.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.