Are atheists more "spiritual" than theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2015, 07:31 AM
RE: Are atheists more "spiritual" than theists?
I'm not sure of Jane Goodall's religious views, but she describes spirituality as "being amazed at things outside yourself" (see this video here). By that definition, I guess you could say I'm spiritual because the world around me and the universe I live in is so utterly amazing. However, there is no agreed upon definition. The colloquial usage is always connected to religion or the supernatural in some way. In that regard, I am certainly not spiritual.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
30-08-2015, 02:49 AM
(06-02-2015 11:33 AM)QuasiAtheist Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 11:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, bullcrap. There were morals before there was writing. Actions are comparatively good or bad.

There is no objective standard for atheists or anyone else.

COWCHIPS !!

1. Correct, there were absolute morals before writing came to exist. Actions can only be called good or bad in accordance to some unchanging higher standard otherwise its just an opinion. I may think that using women for sex is perfectly permissible even if I have 4 stds because it makes me feel good and helps me sleep better, while you may find it reprehensible but it would be just your opinion .

2. Atheists like everyone else, daily demonstrate that there are objective moral standards . Notice the REaction of the Atheist who gets morally wronged by Another --- is their reaction one indicating that they have been violated of an absolute moral law or is their reaction ' Oh well, you thought it was correct to do to me so no problem.....have a nice day ' ? Atheists as well as some other social Groups want to live according to moral relativism but they expect others treat them according to absolute moral laws .

I would disagree about morals being absolute, especially if you want to claim they are defined in the bible. For example read psalm 137 verse 9. How exactly are we meant to understand that? Also consider almost any moral question of the day and realise that christian people argue on both sides using bible passages as proof.

Morals are defined by culture and with western culture being dominant we tend to think that everyone thinks the same way but there are many cultures with morals we would disagree with e.g. up until recently many jungle tribes would think nothing of killing members of other tribes and eating their brains.
Find all posts by this user
30-08-2015, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 03:30 AM by Matrim Cauthon.)
(06-02-2015 11:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, bullcrap. There were morals before there was writing. Actions are comparatively good or bad.

There is no objective standard for atheists or anyone else.

The existence of anything made up of components likely not all originating from the same person (products of 'teamwork'; writers may not make their own ink & paper, workers maybe not their own tools, etc) - is evidence of at least the most basic 'morals/ethics', far pre-dating written language, much less Moses' tablets.

“Narg know people come back somtimes. Narg wait. You no need sword. Put sword down. Narg no hurt.” – Narg
Find all posts by this user