Are atheists snobs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: Are atheists snobs?
(10-09-2014 04:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have to admit it, I'm a bit of a snob. I have a difficult time relating to anyone who is uneducated. Would you consider this snobbery? It doesn't make any difference if the person is self educated, that is they may not have had the opportunity to attend a college but have read books on a variety of subjects and out of curiosity, continue to learn. Sometimes I wonder if my being an atheist has as much to do with an attraction to the general intelligence of the atheist community as it does with the similar agreement towards religion and god.

I can be, I can easily be an elitist ahole because it makes me feel smarter than the average citizen when I look around me in the community, when I consider that most likely 2/3 or more of those walking beside me believe in some form of delusion called religion, when I read absolute drivel that comes from people, when other people with degrees can't put together a decent sentence, or spell, or articulate a thought, when I take my wife to busch gardens (we have season passes and it is one exit down the road from us, so we go there and walk and people watch) and look around at the cattle mooing around wearing the most awful things for their body types, babbling in half coherent sentences...its like they don't own a mirror.

Overcoming this daily is hard for me. I go hot and cold, I go from understanding the "human condition" to feeling absolute disgust for my fellow man....then I feel guilty for feeling like such an elitist ahole...ah well. ...and the circle continues

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes. I admit it.

It takes first-class stupidity to believe xtian bullshit and I have no time for it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
11-09-2014, 06:43 PM
(11-09-2014 02:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 10:44 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I wouldn't call that snobbery...it's just an untrue belief.

LOL. It's an untrue belief that they're snobby about.
Well I suppose it depends on how they behave Tongue. I could best express what I mean by that in a sound-clip, which unfortunately I'm not going to produce.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Re: RE: Are atheists snobs?
(11-09-2014 11:14 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Nah, I just happen to be better than everyone else. I'm not a snob or arrogant about this indisputable fact Tongue
Isn't that a true example of being a snob bob? Tongue
14-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Re: RE: Are atheists snobs?
(11-09-2014 03:48 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 04:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have to admit it, I'm a bit of a snob. I have a difficult time relating to anyone who is uneducated. Would you consider this snobbery? It doesn't make any difference if the person is self educated, that is they may not have had the opportunity to attend a college but have read books on a variety of subjects and out of curiosity, continue to learn. Sometimes I wonder if my being an atheist has as much to do with an attraction to the general intelligence of the atheist community as it does with the similar agreement towards religion and god.

I can be, I can easily be an elitist ahole because it makes me feel smarter than the average citizen when I look around me in the community, when I consider that most likely 2/3 or more of those walking beside me believe in some form of delusion called religion, when I read absolute drivel that comes from people, when other people with degrees can't put together a decent sentence, or spell, or articulate a thought, when I take my wife to busch gardens (we have season passes and it is one exit down the road from us, so we go there and walk and people watch) and look around at the cattle mooing around wearing the most awful things for their body types, babbling in half coherent sentences...its like they don't own a mirror.

Overcoming this daily is hard for me. I go hot and cold, I go from understanding the "human condition" to feeling absolute disgust for my fellow man....then I feel guilty for feeling like such an elitist ahole...ah well. ...and the circle continues
I am pretty much a snob, but inside only. I don't go around and listen to people talking about how great Allah is and how we should be grateful to Him. Turns me off but I don't show it on my face, tho. Maybe living here in Malaysia plays a part. But my aunty is a liberal Muslim, who hates Arabs and all extreme takes on religions. And she is a snob. When we discuss about religions and stuff, we actually getting with our snob on. So snobbery is not necessarily a characteristic of an atheist, IMO.