Pro life
undecided
[Show Results]

Are athiests pro-choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Question Are athiests pro-choice?
I am completly cutting religious beleifs out of this question. But, I think people generalize atheists as very liberal, and democratic. Leaning towards agnosticsm, I tend to be pro-life. This has nothing to do with my past religous beliefs, but based off of what I think is right. I am respectful of your opinion, but want to know what atheists beleive, it seems interesting to me.Consider

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post
12-04-2013, 12:53 AM
RE: Are athiests pro-choice?
This should be interesting.

I'm on the fence.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
12-04-2013, 12:53 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 12:57 AM by Vosur.)
athiests

athiests

athiests

athiests

ಠ_ಠ

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 16 users Like Vosur's post
12-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Damn, that got right past me.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
12-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Did I miss something? I'm totally not getting what is going on??

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
12-04-2013, 01:07 AM
First, I must say that the pro-life/pro-choice dichotomy is at best questionable if not outright bs.

But I digress, I'm pro-choice, why? because it's a practical solution to an impossible problem. We do immoral things all the time and we don't even flinch about those, so what's one more in the list? war, inequality, environmental degradation, you name it.
Just let women (and the dads also) decide and don't get killed in some underground abortion "clinic" and bother with the "is the foetus a person" question later, at least we'll get a few problems out of the way and will get more information to make a better decision afterwards.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
12-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Wait, when I joined the atheism organization, nobody told me that our leadership was going to tell me what I am supposed to believe or do...

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot.

THERE IS NO ATHEIST ORGANIZATION. No club, no group, no policy, no administration, no affiliation.

We're all different, we all believe whatever the hell we want, do whatever the hell we want, and live however the hell we want. Thankfully, almost all of us are relatively social creatures and conform to society's golden rule, more or less, but that is about the only rule that (somewhat) unites us.

So before I answer your question, I'm going to rephrase it:

Are the individuals who post here pro-choice?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
12-04-2013, 01:33 AM
I'm pro-choice.

I've thought a lot about this over the years since being of legal age to vote. I don't believe I PERSONALLY would ever be able to go through with getting an abortion, though. But that's the thing: What if there was a law in place that said I'd go to jail or whatever because I solicited a clinic/health professional for an abortion some time down the line because I saw no other "solution?" All I know is that if I ever felt that it was "necessary," I'd want to be able to get it done legally and safely.

Also, people find ways to get around laws all the time; There will still be abortions perfomed regardless of any laws that are in place. Why not allow SAFE and legal options?

A mom can't afford to take care of HERSELF; She gets pregnant and realizes she can't take care of her growing fetus because she'd rather drink and smoke and not eat healthy foods. Even if people argued that adoption should be considered, what about the fact that she is potentially bringing another crack-addicted infant into the world who will have serious birth defects that would make that child's daily life extremely difficult? It's not fair to even take a chance.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 4 users Like Peanut's post
12-04-2013, 01:39 AM
I think people misinterpret pro-choice as pro-baby killing.
pro-choice is exactly that, you are in favor of people being able to make up their own damn minds on the situation and not dictate for them how they should run their lives.

I accept that people have different (even though they're wrong) opinions to me and I can't tell them how they are to run their lives as I don't expect them to tell me to run mine.

Abortion, I can't even imagine, must be an extremely hard decision, especially for a young lady, as it is without society ramming down their throats what horrible people they are. It's like, you're not in their situation, how the fuck do you know what they're going through back the fuck off!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 9 users Like earmuffs's post
12-04-2013, 01:45 AM
I'm pro-choice up to a certain point. That point is generally when the fetus has a functioning nervous system and brain activity. I think that's pretty much the point when I'm uncomfortable with killing it. (And really, that's the only time I believe the word "killing" actually applies)

Having said that, I'm also in favor of a woman aborting a child even after such time if medical issues call for it. I can imagine it would be a horrific decision at that point and I would gladly offer condolences, but prior to a fetus having a functioning nervous system; it's a fuckin' thing. It's a squishy, non-thinking thing. Sure, it somewhat resembles what a human might eventually be. And sure, it's got a blood-supply and a heartbeat. But it's not thinking. Without thought, it's no more alive in any relevant sense than a tumor.

I'd also like to state - for any anonymous viewers - that pro-choice means precisely that. "In favor of a choice". This means I'm entirely in favor of a woman or couple deciding to keep their child if they wish. Pro-choice does not solely mean "pro-abortion". In a funny kind of way, it also means "pro-life". We're merely in favor of there being a choice available. What that choice is, ultimately, is of no concern to us.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post