Pro life
undecided
[Show Results]

Are athiests pro-choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 10:25 AM
RE: Are athiests pro-choice?
(16-04-2013 10:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  What about all those children that could have been when you have sex that doesn't result in pregnancy? Or when you masturbate?

Seriously, 'the child that could have been' argument is not compelling.

This. Every time you rub one out, you're committing genocide by that reasoning. Every sperm is sacred. You'd have to have a perpetual rutting season, everybody would fuck everybody just in case one of those potential children ended up being a good/smart/talented person. Hell, what if they grow up to be serial killers? Maybe you should abort all fetuses to avoid them growing up to be bad people...

People I know who are against abortion seem to use some weird "spark of life" argument, which I also don't find compelling because I think it gives a fertilized egg magical attributes. And even if it was compelling, it is still assuming that procreation is ALWAYS better/more ethical than no procreation, which I don't agree with.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2013, 10:38 AM
(16-04-2013 10:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 09:38 AM)Caveman Wrote:  I am both.
I am pro-choice. But if it turns out a woman is carrying my child I will beg her not to abort it. (unless there are serious health risks)
I could never live with the thought of the child that could have been.

What about all those children that could have been when you have sex that doesn't result in pregnancy? Or when you masturbate?

Even with a pregnancy, only one sperm of many actually fertilizes the egg, so what about all the babies that didn't get to fertilize the egg?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-04-2013, 12:41 AM
(16-04-2013 10:25 AM)amyb Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 10:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  What about all those children that could have been when you have sex that doesn't result in pregnancy? Or when you masturbate?

This. Every time you rub one out, you're committing genocide by that reasoning. Every sperm is sacred. You'd have to have a perpetual rutting season, everybody would fuck everybody just in case one of those potential children ended up being a good/smart/talented person. Hell, what if they grow up to be serial killers? Maybe you should abort all fetuses to avoid them growing up to be bad people...

People I know who are against abortion seem to use some weird "spark of life" argument, which I also don't find compelling because I think it gives a fertilized egg magical attributes. And even if it was compelling, it is still assuming that procreation is ALWAYS better/more ethical than no procreation, which I don't agree with.

A sperm or an egg by itself has absolutely no potential to become a human being. Claiming destroying a sperm is destroying a potential human being is like claiming destroying a tire is like destroying a potential car.
17-04-2013, 08:00 AM
I don't think the analogy is quite right, but still, I don't get the idea of worrying about potential babies. Even the potential of a fertilized egg. In fact, i think there are too many pregnancies carried to term, and I think it's often selfish of the people to keep having babies, as if having babies is always a better choice than not having babies, especially since many places are already overpopulated, some parents can't take care of themselves much less a baby, and also for people who think all babies should be born, then go on to bitch about people getting government aid to feed and clothe the kids they can't afford (though I also blame religion for being anti-birth control, and telling people to multiply).
22-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I think both sides have valid arguments. I don't think anybody wins as far as what is right and what is wrong.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
22-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Sorry buggered up your poll, I clicked on the vote button out of habit. Please ignore the one pro life vote. However, if I was atheist I still would probably be pro life.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
22-04-2013, 12:14 PM
(17-04-2013 08:00 AM)amyb Wrote:  I don't think the analogy is quite right, but still, I don't get the idea of worrying about potential babies. Even the potential of a fertilized egg. In fact, i think there are too many pregnancies carried to term, and I think it's often selfish of the people to keep having babies, as if having babies is always a better choice than not having babies, especially since many places are already overpopulated, some parents can't take care of themselves much less a baby, and also for people who think all babies should be born, then go on to bitch about people getting government aid to feed and clothe the kids they can't afford (though I also blame religion for being anti-birth control, and telling people to multiply).

Epic run-on sentence. Bowing

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
22-04-2013, 12:36 PM
(16-04-2013 10:25 AM)amyb Wrote:  Every time you rub one out, you're committing genocide by that reasoning. Every sperm is sacred. You'd have to have a perpetual rutting season, everybody would fuck everybody just in case one of those potential children ended up being a good/smart/talented person. Hell, what if they grow up to be serial killers? Maybe you should abort all fetuses to avoid them growing up to be bad people...

Somebody had to do it:

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
22-04-2013, 01:46 PM
@Stark Raving: I was drunk. I make run-on sentences while drinking, I'm afraid.

@cufflink: lol.

I saw this link on FB this morning and I think it explains the faction of pro-lifers that I really hate, the ones who see pregnancy as punishment for women having sex:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/08/02/how-to-spot/
22-04-2013, 01:58 PM
(22-04-2013 12:10 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I think both sides have valid arguments. I don't think anybody wins as far as what is right and what is wrong.

Of course both sides have valid points on either side of the argument. What the poll is asking is whether you are willing to force women to follow rules or let them come to their own conclusion.

Time travel means never having to say you will have been going to be sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes Telempath's post