undecided
[Show Results]

Are athiests pro-choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 09:09 AM
RE: Are athiests pro-choice?
(12-04-2013 08:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 08:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  One of my sisters-in-law works in women's health clinic. She is feminist, pro-choice, ex-Catholic.

She has said, though, that when she sees a woman coming in to the clinic for her third abortion, she wants to take a baseball bat and whomp her upside the head.

In her view, abortion is not an ethical choice for birth control.

Hard for me to disagree with that.

Like all things, there will be those that abuse the system.
But why should those that really do need the system be stripped of that right because of a few bad eggs?

Abortions happen regardless of the law. If it is illegal it just goes underground and becomes a public health problem. My stance is kind of the same as my stance on drugs the cost of the fight is not worth the goals since in both cases the goal is impossible to reach. As for the morality of the actual practice thats really only up to the women that choose to have the procedure (for whatever reason) Also the "Pro-reproductive rights" side is much more effective at preventing abortions by promoting the teaching of proper Sexual education and condom use than the "pro-fetus" movement is with their embrace of no birth control at all Abstinence only Jesus based approach. If you want to see what the "pro-lifer's" really want go look up the Personhood amendments they keep trying to pass the one that would ban all abortion including the morning after pill and would have the side effect of banning in vitro fertilization. So when one side burns down buildings and kills people and their goal is not less deaths but total control of women then thats probably why people that aren't being lyed to by religion are more likely to be against it. /end rant

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-04-2013, 09:13 AM
I think Chas' sister-in-law's point (and perhaps mine and Chas' too), is that contraceptives and access to contraceptives, would prevent abuse of the system if used properly. Negating this issue all together.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-04-2013, 09:19 AM
(12-04-2013 09:13 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I think Chas' sister-in-law's point (and perhaps mine and Chas' too), is that contraceptives and access to contraceptives, would prevent abuse of the system if used properly. Negating this issue all together.

Precisely that. And education.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-04-2013, 09:21 AM
(12-04-2013 09:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 09:13 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I think Chas' sister-in-law's point (and perhaps mine and Chas' too), is that contraceptives and access to contraceptives, would prevent abuse of the system if used properly. Negating this issue all together.

Precisely that. And education.

Education should just be tacked on to all of our problems. Too many stupid people is always the underlying cause.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-04-2013, 09:28 AM
(12-04-2013 09:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 09:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  Precisely that. And education.

Education should just be tacked on to all of our problems. Too many stupid people is always the underlying cause.

Yup, more Vacation Bible School for all. Bowing

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-04-2013, 09:29 AM
(12-04-2013 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 09:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Education should just be tacked on to all of our problems. Too many stupid people is always the underlying cause.

Yup, more Vacation Bible School for all. Bowing

Always the clever asshole... Dodgy

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
(12-04-2013 12:48 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I am completly cutting religious beleifs out of this question. But, I think people generalize atheists as very liberal, and democratic. Leaning towards agnosticsm, I tend to be pro-life. This has nothing to do with my past religous beliefs, but based off of what I think is right. I am respectful of your opinion, but want to know what atheists beleive, it seems interesting to me.Consider

My "athiestic" stances are irrelevant regarding my view of the "pro-life/pro-choice" ideas.

If you want my opinion on it, I am "pro-choice" for the sole reason that I think people should be able to have a choice as to how their bodies, and whatever hangers on which might be in them, are treated in accordance to that owners whims and their whims alone, after all, their body and the unformed spawn, are their property... At least until the proto-human (the spawn) has a brain capable of at least basic motor functions...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
(12-04-2013 09:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yup, more Vacation Bible School for all. Bowing

Always the clever asshole... Dodgy

Flattery will get you nowhere.Dodgy

12-04-2013, 09:32 AM
(12-04-2013 09:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 09:29 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Always the clever asshole... Dodgy

Flattery will get you nowhere.Dodgy

I think you meant "flatulence"

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-04-2013, 09:34 AM
I have to admit to being interested in this poll simply because it is showing us something about the demographics of the site compared with the US population in general. So far, I am not disappointed.

Also curious what those who put 'undecided' mean by that exactly.

Haven't thought about it?

Prefer to stay out of it?

Against abortion but also against government telling you what to do?

—Thomas Henry Huxley