Pro life
undecided
[Show Results]

Are athiests pro-choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 09:50 AM
RE: Are athiests pro-choice?
I almost chose undecided but my heart kept pulling me to click pro-choice instead.

I do think that abortion is used too freely and carelessly by women who "accidentally" get pregnant or for other selfish reasons.

I struggle sometimes and find myself going back and forth between pro-choice and pro-life. I don't think any life at all should be terminated but what if the baby/fetus was known to have some horrific disease that would only make its life completely miserable? What if it was known that the baby would only survive for hours after birth? But then again, my brain shifts...don't we have too many full-to-capacity orphanages of children who need to be adopted? Aren't there plenty of children in foster care who need healthy homes? If we don't allow women to have abortions what do we do with all the children that are born? Are there enough families willing to adopt them? Will they become a burden on society if they are babies who are born addicted to crack or some other drug? Will this baby then grow up and be an addict itself only to continue the cycle?

As you can see, I'm still pretty torn...I've completely rambled, hence my indecisiveness. Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like **Justine**'s post
12-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Re: Are athiests pro-choice?
I'm am pro abortion because a lot of the people getting them are people who shouldn't be procreating anyways. The idea that every life is precious is bullshit. If the "parents" themselves can recognize this, why get in their way?

The act itself sounds horrible tho and I'm not sure how people cab work in those clinics.
12-04-2013, 12:24 PM
(12-04-2013 12:48 AM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I am completly cutting religious beleifs out of this question. But, I think people generalize atheists as very liberal, and democratic. Leaning towards agnosticsm, I tend to be pro-life. This has nothing to do with my past religous beliefs, but based off of what I think is right. I am respectful of your opinion, but want to know what atheists beleive, it seems interesting to me.Consider

I'm neither. I strongly believe in women's reproductive rights. Period. "Pro-life" is really anti choice.

To me there is nothing to discuss.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I think it is one of those areas, where it is a life changing choice for a woman. I think women are not proud of the fact they have had abortion/s. I see that many atheists seem to be pro-choice. Think of this...although I lean towards pro-life, I still see the good in stopping a human life from growing. Scenario...
A young girl, at 16 gets pregnant by her dead beat boyfriend. She is confused, so she goes seek council from her support system. She does not want to do this, but feels it is the only way. She goes and gets one, learns hr lesson, and will never use it as a form of birth cotrol again. 1 year later, she gets pregnant with her new boyfriend. Sne decides to eep her baby, and it works out between the to of them. Healthy baby, healthy couple. The young girl is now ready to have kids, based off of one abortion. The young girl also has more children, and would not have had the life that she has now if it were not for that 1st abortion. Because she had 1 abortion, she has kids that would not be alive today if it were not for that. Her life would be completly different if she did not have that abortion.

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
12-04-2013, 12:45 PM
(12-04-2013 12:42 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I think it is one of those areas, where it is a life changing choice for a woman. I think women are not proud of the fact they have had abortion/s. I see that many atheists seem to be pro-choice. Think of this...although I lean towards pro-life, I still see the good in stopping a human life from growing. Scenario...
A young girl, at 16 gets pregnant by her dead beat boyfriend. She is confused, so she goes seek council from her support system. She does not want to do this, but feels it is the only way. She goes and gets one, learns hr lesson, and will never use it as a form of birth cotrol again. 1 year later, she gets pregnant with her new boyfriend. Sne decides to eep her baby, and it works out between the to of them. Healthy baby, healthy couple. The young girl is now ready to have kids, based off of one abortion. The young girl also has more children, and would not have had the life that she has now if it were not for that 1st abortion. Because she had 1 abortion, she has kids that would not be alive today if it were not for that. Her life would be completly different if she did not have that abortion.

The concept of giving women control over their body, is one of a progressive society. And even better than that? It has correlated with prosperous and well-educated societies.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
(12-04-2013 09:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have to admit to being interested in this poll simply because it is showing us something about the demographics of the site compared with the US population in general. So far, I am not disappointed.

Also curious what those who put 'undecided' mean by that exactly.

Haven't thought about it?

Prefer to stay out of it?

Against abortion but also against government telling you what to do?

I chose undecided and here is why:
My position is essentially pro-choice but there is one area where I have a great deal of difficulty. That is late-term abortion of a healthy fetus that is able to survive with a minumum amout of medical internention and has a good prospect of living a reasonably healthy life. I'm sure that some will say that this is a very small proportion of cases and I would agree. The problem for me is that I see this as murder.

Perhaps some of those who voted pro-choice see this scenario the same way I do but voted pro-choice based on the general prinicple. If that is the case, we agree.

My secondary reason for voting "undecided" was simply to make the case that it's not that simple when it comes to actually creating law.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
12-04-2013, 01:04 PM
(12-04-2013 01:01 PM)Heathen Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 09:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have to admit to being interested in this poll simply because it is showing us something about the demographics of the site compared with the US population in general. So far, I am not disappointed.

Also curious what those who put 'undecided' mean by that exactly.

Haven't thought about it?

Prefer to stay out of it?

Against abortion but also against government telling you what to do?

I chose undecided and here is why:
My position is essentially pro-choice but there is one area where I have a great deal of difficulty. That is late-term abortion of a healthy fetus that is able to survive with a minumum amout of medical internention and has a good prospect of living a reasonably healthy life. I'm sure that some will say that this is a very small proportion of cases and I would agree. The problem for me is that I see this as murder.

Perhaps some of those who voted pro-choice see this scenario the same way I do but voted pro-choice based on the general prinicple. If that is the case, we agree.

My secondary reason for voting "undecided" was simply to make the case that it's not that simple when it comes to actually creating law.

Late-term abortions can't be done without medical consent. The woman already is unable to choose to do it on her own legally. Only physicians can sign off on it, and only a few clinics even do late-term abortions. It either has to be medically relevant for the fetus, the mother, or the mother has to be deemed mentally unfit in some way.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Odd to assume that all atheists have the same opinion (as was expressed earlier).

Had you used the term that others have used... pro-baby-killing...

Of course the answer is 'yes'.

We are not all vegetarians.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
(12-04-2013 01:04 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Late-term abortions can't be done without medical consent. The woman already is unable to choose to do it on her own legally. Only physicians can sign off on it, and only a few clinics even do late-term abortions. It either has to be medically relevant for the fetus, the mother, or the mother has to be deemed mentally unfit in some way.

I'll admit that I'm not an expert in US law concerning these cases. I'm just going by the debate I see in the more reputable US media which has lead me to conclude that these things do indeed occur. Perhaps I'm being misled. Or perhaps it is occuring and not being prosecuted. I'd be curious to read the legal statutes and case law and I'll do some research on it. Any links or sources would be appreciated.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
12-04-2013, 01:58 PM
A late term abortion is actually a misnomer. Anything done beyond 24 weeks is considered late term. Most are done because the mother's health and life were at risk. As a mom of a 29 week premie I can tell you at 24 weeks more often those children face a myriad of health issues that last their whole lives.

I was lucky, at 30 weeks (plus or minus two weeks depending on the doctor) my son had mild issues but he still wasn't "ready". The only reason he could breathe on his own was because we had time to give steroids to help develop his lungs.

I was in the hospital for two weeks before he was born too...so we were well prepared for any outcome.

All I'm saying is that even at 30 weeks, had his birth been rapid, without medical interventions he would have faced much more serious problems than he did.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon