Are both Popes now infallible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2013, 03:38 PM
The invention of the papal infallibility concept didn't happen until the First Vatican Council in 1869, well after the last Pope resigned. So this is the first time there have been a Pope and an ex-Pope since they decided that the Pope is infallible (can't be wrong or questioned because of his direct contact with God... his hat gives him good reception). Does the ex-Pope have his superpowers revoked by God or are they both infallible? What if they disagree on an issue? How can two people talking directly to God get two different messages?

Sub-question: if the two infallible Popes competed in a two-man sack race against Jesus and God, who would win?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
14-03-2013, 03:46 PM
RE: Are both Popes now infallible?
(14-03-2013 03:38 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  The invention of the papal infallibility concept didn't happen until the First Vatican Council in 1869, well after the last Pope resigned. So this is the first time there have been a Pope and an ex-Pope since they decided that the Pope is infallible (can't be wrong or questioned because of his direct contact with God... his hat gives him good reception). Does the ex-Pope have his superpowers revoked by God or are they both infallible? What if they disagree on an issue? How can two people talking directly to God get two different messages?

Sub-question: if the two infallible Popes competed in a two-man sack race against Jesus and God, who would win?
As a Jesuit I think Pope Francis will make a new ruling ensuring only He retains infallibility, further enhancing the intriguing concept.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
14-03-2013, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2013 04:49 PM by DLJ.)
(14-03-2013 03:38 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...

It depends.

Is it a transcendental sack race or do the sacks actually have to exist?

Academic really... the popes might be infallible and therefore un-fallable but omnipotence will win every time.

Smartass

Edit: No, wait! With omni-benevolence, the holy binity would let the popes win.

After the race, Jesus was interviewed by uncorroborated eye-witnesses and is said to have said...
"We would have won but the bastard kept moving in mysterious ways"

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
14-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I would think resigning means giving up your magic infallibility ring...can't have two top dogs, can we?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
14-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Why are we talking about papal sacks now?
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
14-03-2013, 04:59 PM
So let me get this straight: before becoming Il Papa none of the candidate cardinals are considered to be infallible in any way? Then, suddenly, magically, he is bestowed?

I'm a cardinal. You'd think I'd know this, eh?
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
14-03-2013, 05:01 PM
It's the ring...my precious.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
14-03-2013, 06:08 PM
(14-03-2013 04:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  After the race, Jesus was interviewed by uncorroborated eye-witnesses and is said to have said...
"We would have won but the bastard kept moving in mysterious ways"

To which God replied, "I had to move in mysterious ways because this asshole kept playing the martyr the whole time. 'Oh, my foot is cramping for all mankind! Where are my disciples to help me?' Prima donna."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
14-03-2013, 06:56 PM
I think anything the new pope says will overrule anything palpatine said. They would both still be right though... Doesn't make sense but this is catholisicm we are talking about here.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
14-03-2013, 06:59 PM
There aren't "both popes". There is only one.

And that one is only 'infallible' on matters of doctrine.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user