Are christians sad Jesus died?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 09:00 AM
RE: Are christians sad Jesus died?
(03-04-2014 02:47 AM)Pippen Wrote:  or happy that he did. Personally I would feel massively shithouse if someone died for me. I wouldn't want to celebrate it at all. It would make me all guilty and ashamed. They seem to think it is amazing and special.

Not that it really matters because he never existed to start with but it is kind of sick to glorify someone dying.

This speaks to the mindless acceptance of religion by many believers. For the ones who are happy about Jesus' death, I think it shows how little they have truly thought about it. All they hear is "God is great, Jesus saved you, there will be paradise in heaven, by the way Jesus died a horrible torture-filled death in order to save you, God loves you, Jesus is your friend, ask and you shall receive, true happiness comes from a relationship with Jesus".

It's all right up there with the mindless repetition of pre-written prayers that believers recite without the first thought about what they are saying; and the unwavering belief in and support of a book about which they have no real clue what it contains.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Happy.

Because He rose, and He was able to return to the Father and not have to be human anymore. Jesus complained about His humanity a few times to God.

Yes, He did die for us, but the normal emotions of guilt and sadness associated with a sacrifice like that are made moot because of His resurrection. It was good for us and for Him.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-04-2014, 09:08 AM
(03-04-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Happy.

Because He rose, and He was able to return to the Father and not have to be human anymore. Jesus complained about His humanity a few times to God.

Yes, He did die for us, but the normal emotions of guilt and sadness associated with a sacrifice like that are made moot because of His resurrection. It was good for us and for Him.
While I, of course, don't buy the death and resurrection story, I'm glad to see you have at least thought about why your are happy about it; which is more than I can say for the average Christian.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
03-04-2014, 09:10 AM
(03-04-2014 02:47 AM)Pippen Wrote:  or happy that he did. Personally I would feel massively shithouse if someone died for me. I wouldn't want to celebrate it at all. It would make me all guilty and ashamed. They seem to think it is amazing and special.

Not that it really matters because he never existed to start with but it is kind of sick to glorify someone dying.

I think they are absolutely thrilled that he died Big Grin, but with a strong under current of guilt Sadcryface...

03-04-2014, 09:12 AM
(03-04-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...Jesus complained ...

He complained?! Doesn't sound very "god" like, and far less than "perfect"...

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
03-04-2014, 09:13 AM
(03-04-2014 03:24 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 03:22 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Christianity is a death cult.

I am not kidding. A better description is Christianity is an apocalyptic death cult.

Make no mistake.

HEY, to be fair Islam and Hinduism are also death cults.

... not really.

... this is my signature!
03-04-2014, 09:15 AM
(03-04-2014 09:08 AM)Impulse Wrote:  While I, of course, don't buy the death and resurrection story, I'm glad to see you have at least thought about why your are happy about it; which is more than I can say for the average Christian.

I don't know. I bet most Christians understand the notion of being sad about the death and happy about the resurrection and have thought out at least that much.

While I may find some of the apologetics lacking, I don't think most of them are wandering around that much in the dark on their own beliefs.
03-04-2014, 09:15 AM
(03-04-2014 09:12 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...Jesus complained ...

He complained?! Doesn't sound very "god" like, and far less than "perfect"...

Complaining and asking questions isn't a sin.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-04-2014, 09:23 AM
(03-04-2014 09:15 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 09:08 AM)Impulse Wrote:  While I, of course, don't buy the death and resurrection story, I'm glad to see you have at least thought about why your are happy about it; which is more than I can say for the average Christian.

I don't know. I bet most Christians understand the notion of being sad about the death and happy about the resurrection and have thought out at least that much.

While I may find some of the apologetics lacking, I don't think most of them are wandering around that much in the dark on their own beliefs.
I agree that they most are aware at some level, but what I mean is many don't really think about it all that much. It's like on Good Friday, it's time to be sad (and even then many Christians just go on with life with little thought to what day it is), but after that, forget about it for the rest of the year. And, even when they do think about Jesus' death, how deeply do they really empathize with what it means for someone to be subjected to hours and hours of torture and humilation? In my experience, Christians generally acknowledge the torture and death, but the words ring hollow. They give more lip service than true heart-felt appreciation. And, in fairness, it's far more difficult to do so about something that wasn't personally witnessed.

03-04-2014, 09:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZFaZWi2uSI
See 5:53, Easter Vigil liturgy : the "Exultet".
"O felix cupla" .... "O happy fault".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exsultet
"O truly necessary sin of Adam,
destroyed completely by the Death of Christ!
O happy fault
that earned for us so great, so glorious a Redeemer!"

Answer : damn right they are.
(And BTW, why ELSE would the Easter Bunny bring me treats, for crying out loud).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.