Are christians sad Jesus died?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 09:26 AM
RE: Are christians sad Jesus died?
(03-04-2014 09:23 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I agree that they most are aware at some level, but what I mean is many don't really think about it all that much. It's like on Good Friday, it's time to be sad (and even then many Christians just go on with life with little thought to what day it is), but after that, forget about it for the rest of the year. And, even when they do think about Jesus' death, how deeply do they really empathize with what it means for someone to be subjected to hours and hours of torture and humilation? In my experience, Christians generally acknowledge the torture and death, but the words ring hollow. They give more lip service than true heart-felt appreciation. And, in fairness, it's far more difficult to do so about something that wasn't personally witnessed.

Good point. On Easter Sunday, the church is filled with "Christians" who haven't been to church since last Easter.

Lip service.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 09:34 AM
(03-04-2014 09:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Good point. On Easter Sunday, the church is filled with "Christians" who haven't been to church since last Easter.

Lip service.

Hey, now, be fair.

Some of them were there on Christmas.

Tongue

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
03-04-2014, 09:41 AM
(03-04-2014 09:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 09:12 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  He complained?! Doesn't sound very "god" like, and far less than "perfect"...

Complaining and asking questions isn't a sin.

How is complaining not a "sin". I'm pretty sure complaining is not part of "God's" plan, and anything that goes agains "God" is a "sin", there for complaining is a "sin".

Perfect people would have no reason to complain. If you have the ability to complain, you are less than a "perfect" person.

03-04-2014, 09:42 AM
(03-04-2014 09:34 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 09:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Good point. On Easter Sunday, the church is filled with "Christians" who haven't been to church since last Easter.

Lip service.

Hey, now, be fair.

Some of them were there on Christmas.

Tongue

touche

03-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Lip service.

My parents instilled in me an enormous distaste for these so-called "Christians". We would bad mouth them after the service, roll our eyes, belittle and look down at them. Christians indeed, harrumph!

This, THIS is a perfect example of religions being exclusive and even cannibalistic. Besides having great antagonism towards other belief systems and non believers they go around eating their own. The irony of their own doctrines would be laughable if it weren't so tragic.

Anyway, I always thought that the main reason you went to mass was to show off your new outfit. Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-04-2014, 09:44 AM
(03-04-2014 09:41 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 09:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Complaining and asking questions isn't a sin.

How is complaining not a "sin". I'm pretty sure complaining is not part of "God's" plan, and anything that goes agains "God" is a "sin", there for complaining is a "sin".

Perfect people would have no reason to complain. If you have the ability to complain, you are less than a "perfect" person.

Because Jesus wasn't omniscient. He didn't know exactly what was going to happen. He asked God if He could skip the death. God told him "no". He accepted it and went through with it.

That is not a sin.

03-04-2014, 10:41 AM
(03-04-2014 09:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 09:41 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  How is complaining not a "sin". I'm pretty sure complaining is not part of "God's" plan, and anything that goes agains "God" is a "sin", there for complaining is a "sin".

Because Jesus wasn't omniscient. He didn't know exactly what was going to happen. He asked God if He could skip the death. God told him "no". He accepted it and went through with it.

That is not a sin.

Anyways, If you want to knock Jesus down a peg or two, I'd say flipping tables and attacking people with a whip on holy ground seems to be a larger blemish.

[Image: 3224823-2050962630-jesus.jpg]

You see that? That is Jesus kicking some ass. That isn't some love-thy-neighbor, helping-to-cure-the-poor Jesus. That right there is a Republican Jesus! Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-04-2014, 10:58 AM
(03-04-2014 10:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 09:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because Jesus wasn't omniscient. He didn't know exactly what was going to happen. He asked God if He could skip the death. God told him "no". He accepted it and went through with it.

That is not a sin.

Anyways, If you want to knock Jesus down a peg or two, I'd say flipping tables and attacking people with a whip on holy ground seems to be a larger blemish.

[Image: 3224823-2050962630-jesus.jpg]

You see that? That is Jesus kicking some ass. That isn't some love-thy-neighbor, helping-to-cure-the-poor Jesus. That right there is a Republican Jesus! Tongue

Not only that but one day Jesus is going to come back and murder us all with a reaper, and stomp us in a giant wine press spelling our blood forming a lake of blood.

That doesn't sound like a kind loving Jesus. That sounds like bullshit evil, sadistic Jesus Evil_monster!

Revelation 14:14-20
New International Version (NIV)
Harvesting the Earth and Trampling the Winepress

14 I looked, and there before me was a white cloud, and seated on the cloud was one like a son of man with a crown of gold on his head and a sharp sickle in his hand. 15 Then another angel came out of the temple and called in a loud voice to him who was sitting on the cloud, “Take your sickle and reap, because the time to reap has come, for the harvest of the earth is ripe.” 16 So he who was seated on the cloud swung his sickle over the earth, and the earth was harvested.

17 Another angel came out of the temple in heaven, and he too had a sharp sickle. 18 Still another angel, who had charge of the fire, came from the altar and called in a loud voice to him who had the sharp sickle, “Take your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of grapes from the earth’s vine, because its grapes are ripe.” 19 The angel swung his sickle on the earth, gathered its grapes and threw them into the great winepress of God’s wrath. 20 They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses’ bridles for a distance of 1,600 stadia.

03-04-2014, 11:13 AM
There are a couple different emotional responses within Christian circles to the death of Jesus. My only evidence is what I've personally seen in my interactions with Christians of various denominations, so perhaps take this with a grain of salt.

Some approach the death of Jesus as a miracle in and of itself. The thinking here is often along the lines of,"WOW! To think that an infinite omnipotent God actually cared enough for US that He would bother to come down and save us from this mess we've made! That is amazing! It's something we don't deserve, and yet He did it anyway!"
And so they end up approaching it like it's la Dia de los Muertos en Mexico.

Others are also celebratory, but also more pointedly somber, with the emphasis being on the sins that have been committed that made such an act necessary in the first place. "We are so sinful, so vile... we're hardly worth saving. To think that God would do something for... for US? We don't even deserve to tie His shoes, let alone deserve for Him to lay down His life for us."

Theologically, the resurrection was seen as, not a trick against God, but a trick against death. It is seen as necessary for Jesus to have defeated Death. If he had simply died with that being that, then it would be noted that Death would have been the victor here. But since Jesus is said to have risen, now it's Jesus who is the victorious one. Now Jesus holds the keys to Death and Hades, and the peasants rejoice. Wink

And yes, the 2nd coming of Jesus is not supposed to be a particular peaceful one. Christians all know about it (or most do) and most express more glee over it than I personally think is warranted.
03-04-2014, 11:44 AM
He complained to His Father???

He is His Father.

He sacrificed Himself to Himself to fulfill a prophesy He created.

Of course having said that, it is impossible for Him to die. So He simply pretended to die and moved back home again. Then apparently returned to "arrise". He then got a Roman centurian to admit to the crime of deserting his post-a capital offence by the way-reclaimed His cadaver doll in which He had pretended to live, and walked around with a bunch of zombies so as to prove World War Z was going to be a bad movie.

Next!

(03-04-2014 09:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Happy.

Because He rose, and He was able to return to the Father and not have to be human anymore. Jesus complained about His humanity a few times to God.

Yes, He did die for us, but the normal emotions of guilt and sadness associated with a sacrifice like that are made moot because of His resurrection. It was good for us and for Him.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.