Are christians sad Jesus died?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: Are christians sad Jesus died?
(03-04-2014 11:44 AM)Banjo Wrote:  He complained to His Father???

He is His Father.

Not quite. I'm going to go into some Trinitarian theology here, so bear with me.

Per the doctrine of the Trinity, there is one god, but there are 3 "persons" that are part of this "Godhead." Yes, it's called a Godhead. It's a difficult concept for many Christians and others to comprehend. But basically, this one god is divided into 3 parts, or 3 persons. These 3 persons (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost) are not each other. They are entirely distinct from one another with different roles, different functions, etc... but they all make up the one God. You might think of it like a triangle. Each corner is totally distinct from the other corners, but they are all part of the same triangle.

Meh. So anyway, there's the Trinity in a nutshell. So when you're talking to a Christian and they mention the trinity, you have an idea of what it is they're referring to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 12:09 PM
(03-04-2014 11:52 AM)Charis Wrote:  

He is His Father.

Not quite. I'm going to go into some Trinitarian theology here, so bear with me.

Per the doctrine of the Trinity, there is one god, but there are 3 "persons" that are part of this "Godhead." Yes, it's called a Godhead. It's a difficult concept for many Christians and others to comprehend. But basically, this one god is divided into 3 parts, or 3 persons. These 3 persons (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost) are not each other. They are entirely distinct from one another with different roles, different functions, etc... but they all make up the one God. You might think of it like a triangle. Each corner is totally distinct from the other corners, but they are all part of the same triangle.

Meh. So anyway, there's the Trinity in a nutshell. So when you're talking to a Christian and they mention the trinity, you have an idea of what it is they're referring to.

Triangle...good explanation. A christian I spoke to about this years ago described it as water. It can be a steam, ice or liquid and all have a different action but ultimately they are all H2O. I could kinda get my head around that.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
03-04-2014, 12:23 PM
The Father the Son and the Holy Ghost was always a bad idea. I am unimpressed by Christians jumping through hoops in an attempt to correct it.

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electicity or aerodynamics.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
03-04-2014, 12:26 PM
(03-04-2014 12:23 PM)Banjo Wrote:  The Father the Son and the Holy Ghost was always a bad idea. I am unimpressed by Christians jumping through hoops in an attempt to correct it.

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electicity or aerodynamics.

I would agree.
03-04-2014, 12:31 PM
(03-04-2014 12:23 PM)Banjo Wrote:  The Father the Son and the Holy Ghost was always a bad idea. I am unimpressed by Christians jumping through hoops in an attempt to correct it.

I am stealing that as a signature Thumbsup

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Blackhand293's post
03-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Be my guest. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
(03-04-2014 09:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  This, THIS is a perfect example of religions being exclusive and even cannibalistic. Besides having great antagonism towards other belief systems and non believers they go around eating their own.

I thought their cannibalism was displayed during communion.

(03-04-2014 10:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You see that? That is Jesus kicking some ass. That isn't some love-thy-neighbor, helping-to-cure-the-poor Jesus. That right there is a Republican Jesus! Tongue

I thought this was Republican Jesus:

[Image: republican-jesus.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
03-04-2014, 01:34 PM
(03-04-2014 11:52 AM)Charis Wrote:  

He is His Father.

Which branch of Christianity is this from? I'm just curious because I was raised Catholic and the Trinity is explained somewhat differently there. By Catholic doctrine, there are the same 3 persons in God, but each is wholly and completely God. They are not "parts" of God so the triangle analogy would not work. Growing up Catholic, I could never wrap my head around this. I couldn't help, but think of them more like the triangle analogy you gave, but I also knew that wasn't true to what I had been taught.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
03-04-2014, 02:44 PM
The way I understood the trinity as a catholic kid was, that god left his throne to become a human (as still god) and then proved to be god by resurecting and then leaving again as the holy spirit on his way back to the throne.

Which meant to my little pee brain, that it was god all the time, just in different forms at different times.... which of course he can do, because he's god.

What utter nonsense, even then, us alter boys made fun of the concept, but had to think like this to keep the penguins and priests happy that we understood.... well, something. Hobo

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
(03-04-2014 01:34 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(03-04-2014 11:52 AM)Charis Wrote:  Not quite. I'm going to go into some Trinitarian theology here, so bear with me.

Which branch of Christianity is this from? I'm just curious because I was raised Catholic and the Trinity is explained somewhat differently there. By Catholic doctrine, there are the same 3 persons in God, but each is wholly and completely God. They are not "parts" of God so the triangle analogy would not work. Growing up Catholic, I could never wrap my head around this. I couldn't help, but think of them more like the triangle analogy you gave, but I also knew that wasn't true to what I had been taught.

Yes, they would be considered entirely God, but God was in 3 parts. Each of these parts being entirely God, but not the ENTIRETY OF God.

Like each corner of the triangle being entirely part of the triangle but not making up the entirety OF the triangle. The triangle analogy is probably not a perfect analogy.