Are cosmic bodies... Conscious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2010, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2010 12:00 PM by Cetaceaphile.)
Are cosmic bodies... Conscious?
I've been lost in thought for most of the day. And though it may be the headcold talking, I think it's entirely possible that large cosmic bodies could be conscious.

Maybe not intelligent as a complex life form, but the electromagnetic energy around suns, planets, ect, could make a state where a planet is aware of it's existence.

I don't mean truly aware like humans are aware of themselves and can self-analyze, but conscious, to a point of being aware of their surroundings as they drift through space, observing and watching the universe around them. Or maybe an internal consciousness. A planet knows when it is hit by an asteroid, and mourns the impact?

Any thoughts on this.

So far I've not been able to prove it or find any evidence, but that might be because I haven't found anyone else saying anything similar xD (edited for clarity since I arsed it up first time xD )

Help me out here. :3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM

RE: Are cosmic bodies... Conscious?
(11-11-2010 11:36 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I've been lost in thought for most of the day. And though it may be the headcold talking, I think it's entirely possible that large cosmic bodies could be conscious.

Maybe not intelligent as a complex life form, but the electromagnetic energy around suns, planets, ect, could make a state where a planet is aware of it's existence.

I don't mean truly aware like humans are aware of themselves and can self-analyze, but conscious, to a point of being aware of their surroundings as they drift through space, observing and watching the universe around them. Or maybe an internal consciousness. A planet knows when it is hit by an asteroid, and mourns the impact?

Any thoughts on this.

Sounds like someone tripping on acid Tongue. Consciousness as we define it cannot be contained in celestial bodies. Plain and simple. To use verbs such as "know" and "aware" implies biological consciousness. Exactly what made you think that this was "entirely possible?"

Besides, it is not as if the earth, for example, is one coherent body, like a frog. The earth is just a conglomeration of atoms that are grouped together by gravity, but not by any organization. The fact that all these atoms are in the same place is because that is just how they were arranged through collisions when the solar system was young.

(11-11-2010 11:36 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  So far I've not been able to disprove it, but thats probably because I haven't found anyone else saying anything similar xD

Remember the burden of proof. The burden of proof is on you to prove it, not disprove it. So don't think of this as something you need to disprove.
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
(11-11-2010 11:36 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I've been lost in thought for most of the day. And though it may be the headcold talking, I think it's entirely possible that large cosmic bodies could be conscious.

Probably the head cold. Tongue

Quote:Maybe not intelligent as a complex life form, but the electromagnetic energy around suns, planets, ect, could make a state where a planet is aware of it's existence.

How?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I didn't mean biological consciousness, I meant like an energy type of consciousness. The same way that the brain channels energy into thought could maybe happen in more ways that just with a biological brain.
Also if I'm not mistaken, biological life came about when certain elements were drawn to each other for non-life reasons.

Also sorry, I was meant to say 'prove' I guess I was overlapping conversations a little. xD

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
11-11-2010, 12:03 PM
(11-11-2010 11:58 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I didn't mean biological consciousness, I meant like an energy type of consciousness. The same way that the brain channels energy into thought could maybe happen in more ways that just with a biological brain.

Yes, it could, but an electromagnetic field doesn't possess the necessary components. Even if you add planets to the mix, it doesn't work. The necessary pieces just aren't present.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
11-11-2010, 12:05 PM
What components are missing?

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
11-11-2010, 12:17 PM
(11-11-2010 12:05 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  What components are missing?

Switches, mainly. In both artificial and biological intelligence, there are components present which act as switches to alter the pathway of other reactions (or computations). If/then statements, basically. Since there is no way for a solar system (or single planet, or other celestial body) to map an if/then series, there can't be consciousness. It can't respond to stimuli.

11-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Ahh ok.

Seriously I was expecting not to have to answer your next post :O I was ready to go and think up something else. xD

Still. I'm going to bring up lightning as a first thing. I'm not sure if it's completely understood, but on planets with a fair amount of electromagnetic fluctuation there is a change in the electromagnetic ring of the entire planet with each lightning strike. As well as changing the net a little I think this also makes the safe zone where earth satellites are the safest to orbit without getting knocked out by radiation and debris.

For the stimuli thing, that may be something that happens. There are may changes due to outside forces, this could be seen as response to stimuli, though if a planet is an energy based life form then I don't think I would know how it would react to things that we might see as a threat. The stimuli though would probably end up a grey area and left in the closet until a later date when we are better at measuring and monitoring things.

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
(11-11-2010 12:23 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Still. I'm going to bring up lightning as a first thing. I'm not sure if it's completely understood, but on planets with a fair amount of electromagnetic fluctuation there is a change in the electromagnetic ring of the entire planet with each lightning strike. As well as changing the net a little I think this also makes the safe zone where earth satellites are the safest to orbit without getting knocked out by radiation and debris.

For the stimuli thing, that may be something that happens.

It strikes me as highly unlikely. I don't know very much about the structure of the brain, though. I think there are more components than the if/then tracks, and I doubt that the lightning could really function like that anyway, but we're out of my knowledge bubble here. I really have no idea.

11-11-2010, 01:35 PM
It must suck being a planet, floating around, dodging meteorites and such...

But really, conscious? When something hits the planet and it loses some mass, does it lose some of its consciousness too, and when the stuff that the planet lost hits an other planet and becomes a part of it, does it become a part of its conciousness?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.