Are endomorphs just doomed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Are endomorphs just doomed?
I have an endomorph body type, and even though I thought this was a vague label for a long time I decided to look into it because, despite different diets and exercise of every type, I manage to gain between 10 and 20 pounds per year for a few years now and I'm not sure why.

Logically I should be normal size, but even against my best efforts I'm just getting larger and more capable.

Anyways, I looked it up and this endomorph, exomorph stuff is a birth trait. And even though I went through most of my life like "people are fat because they keep eating too much" I now know that isn't true.

Still it's annoying. There is so much I can't do that I consider cutting food out entirely sometimes.

My most recent diet has been having 1 full size meal every two days and no food in between, which I started in January. I also started to walk 5 miles a day (which I have been averaging 3 miles a day for a few years anyway) and this year I still managed to gain 14 pounds.

Better than last year. Walking 4 miles a day and eating one large and one small meal a day I gained 19 pounds.

Still I think I'm doomed.

The most annoying thing is that my doctor can't find anything wrong with me.

I think this endomorph is doomed.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2010, 07:03 AM
RE: Are endomorphs just doomed?
I'm not a fitness expert but I do try to keep fit. It's tough at times because of my work schedule (and because lately I have not been able to get out of bed at 5:40 to hit the gym but being lazy is not really a good excuse).

Anyway, while not any kind of expert, what I do know is that crazy diets generally don't work. They may take weight off for a short period but they are hard to maintain. Also, starving your body is not a particularly good idea.

If you look around on-line, you can find different ways to eat that should help you get some results. Most experts say you are better off eating 6 small meals a day and just maintaining that. The meals should be of specific things, like grilled chicken and salads. Mix that in with exercise (which it sounds like you do already) and you should see results.

I'd recommend your next step be to go see a nutritionist. They should be able to help you come up with a plan that should help you out. Also, instead of just walking maybe join a gym and get a personal trainer to help you set up an exercise routine where you build muscle, which is the best way to burn fat.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-11-2010, 09:54 AM
I qualified as a personal trainer when i was 18 and set up my own fitness website http://www.coopersguns.com you will find pretty much all you need to get in shape and if you cant you can mail me on here or through the website. just by reading your message i can tell you that you are NOT doomed, but you do need to radically re asses your diet. Starving yourself only makes it worse. If you are interested at all about getting in shape please contact me, its not as difficult or as daunting as you may think. Just understanding the basics about how your body works can get you results, and if you try obviously.

this isnt a spam by the way!

It's easy to think people are listening to you, but in actual fact they are just waiting for their turn to speak.
30-11-2010, 04:17 PM
The long and the short of it is, you are starving your body, and it's answering by storing as much as it can now, so it's got something to live on when the "famine" gets worse. Eat healthy food. Eat it often. Eat normal portions (not too much, but enough that 15 minutes AFTER you've finished you feel satisfied. You'll learn how much with a little practice. If you just eat until you're full, then you've over eaten.)

I gave Nealsons website a quick skim. I couldn't endorse it without a thorough read, but from what I did read, it looks like he's got his head on straight. His last sentence says it all. Learn how your body works. Once you understand what it's telling you, your entire outlook will change.

One last thing. We've bastardized the word "diet". It shouldn't be synonymous with "weight loss". Diet is what we eat. You should never "go on a diet". What you need to do is CHANGE your diet.

Nealson > Never thought for a moment it was spam! Thanks for linking an appropriate site.

Just visiting.

-SR
30-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree with eating healthy foods but ultimately, when it comes to weight, all that matters is how many calories you take in vs. how many you burn. There was a guy recently who went on a all junk food diet but reduced his caloric intake and lost 26 pounds in a short amount of time. He may have had other problems, but just reduce the number of calories you take in and that alone will help.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-11-2010, 05:59 PM
I guess I just panicked because I was putting on so much weight on a normal diet.

I just figured that lowering my calorie intake would make it better. Didn't make it worse anyhow.

I think when I get some time I'll read through Nelson's website. I also might try get a better job so I can actually afford to eat more than 1 meal every 2 days xD Sucks to be living with parents who take most of my money in rent and don't provide food. Sucks to live where even a 1 bedroom apartment cost 120,000.

But ya, I'll take a back step on the food lacking thing as best I can and I think I'll up my exercise. Back when I was getting ready to join the army I used to do a bit on a rowing machine every morning, though I sold that to pay for a new bed when mine broke xD

But yeah, I been weight lifting for a few days now, getting back into the rhythm of that to help myself a little. I used to have arms like tree trunks and do 80 pushups a go back about 18 months ago, even with the weight I'd put on. Now my arms are weedy. I'm actually using a pair of dumbbells which I put away because they were mere paperweights at the time, lol.

So thanks for all the info guys. I'ma use every post Wink

01-12-2010, 06:42 AM
I weigh 175 and I'm 5'11. IDK how I weigh this much. My father was like 140 in college as was his father. My mom's father was like 5'3. So I guess I lucked out. But I can't figure out for the life of me why I'm 175. I go to the gym pretty consistently, but I'm not a bulge of muscle. Just toned I guess. I do push ups, pull ups, and run pretty consistently. Is it just my body type? Or do I have 20 lbs of fecal matter and water weight in me? LOL that's the only explanation I can think of.
04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
i am 5'7 and weigh 200lbs. your body will usually find a nice spot to float around unless you make some changes. we all know what healthy foods there are and that going to the gym helps us lose weight but unless you have a properly structured plan and STICK to it then not many changes will happen. There is no reason why a healthy person cannot lose/ gain weight, all it takes is understanding determination. as regards any mystery weight you have, muscle is more dense than fat therefor weighs more, put a 200lb beef cake to a 200lb fatty and see the proportions. also height is a factor, there is more bone matter which also accounts for weight.

It's easy to think people are listening to you, but in actual fact they are just waiting for their turn to speak.
11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
5 small meals a day as healthy as I can afford. Extra time with sword practice and weight lifting, started with sit ups.

I gained 7 pounds in 2 weeks and feel weak all the time. I'm going to go see my doctor and find out wtf is wrong with me.

11-12-2010, 10:13 PM

(30-11-2010 01:05 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I have an endomorph body type, and even though I thought this was a vague label for a long time I decided to look into it because, despite different diets and exercise of every type, I manage to gain between 10 and 20 pounds per year for a few years now and I'm not sure why.

LOL ... I feel your pain. How long can one use having babies as an excuse?
Quote this message in a reply