Are false beliefs ok?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Are false beliefs ok?
I'm posting this here because it is a question that has been bothering me. It's a question my father brought up with me. I like to say that everyone is entitled to their opinion and to their own belief. But what if this opinion or belief is demonstrably false? Do you have the right to the opinion that if you eat nothing but peanut brittle you will turn into a peanut?

There is one poster who believes that the prisons consist of a higher percentage of atheists than the public at large. We have another that believes the earth doesn't rotate and is the center of the universe. There are others who hold beliefs that are proven to be false. Do they have a right to believe these things? Do they have a moral obligation to themselves to admit their beliefs hold no water?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2013, 06:37 PM
RE: Are false beliefs ok?
I say as long as they aren't harming anyone else or teaching their beliefs to kids then let them believe what they want.
[+] 1 user Likes thedudette's post
22-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Most atheists will claim they are fine with allowing theists to believe as they wish, so long as those theists are not infringing upon the rights of others with those beliefs and so long as others are not harmed due to those beliefs.

As an anti-theist, I do not hold to that nonsense. I would rather see the entire belief system eradicated, seeing no real benefit for allowing anyone to cling to their self-deluded religious beliefs.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
22-12-2013, 06:40 PM
People have the right to believe what they will.

But people do not have a right to their own 'facts'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
22-12-2013, 06:40 PM
My ex-mother in law believes that if you don't eat what you crave when you're pregnant your baby will resemble that food in the face.
She believes that pregnant women have special healing powers, and that newborn babies are "like whales" and you shouldn't put hats on them because they breath through "that little hole on top of their heads"

I don't know. I don't see why someone shouldn't be entitled to believe in ridiculous things so long as their belief doesn't cAuse harm to anyone else.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
22-12-2013, 06:41 PM
As long as their false beliefs only effect them, I really have no problem with it. I would love if we could eradicate false beliefs, if only to have more people as productive members of society, but I just don't see it happening Confused
22-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Moral obligations to themselves to admit that their beliefs don't hold water - that is a very interesting way of putting things. To others or just to themselves?
Right to hold those beliefs - yes, absolutely.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
22-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I believe that each person has a moral obligation TO THEMSELVES to seek out the truth regardless of their own personal scruples. This is a personal belief of mine, and I understand as such it can hold no weight with others except as they can rationally judge it.
22-12-2013, 07:05 PM
(22-12-2013 06:40 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  My ex-mother in law believes that if you don't eat what you crave when you're pregnant your baby will resemble that food in the face.

Undecided

I think I would be getting granny checked for Alzheimer's dementia. If she checks out medically, I'd look into a restraining order. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-12-2013, 07:09 PM
(22-12-2013 07:05 PM)kim Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 06:40 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  My ex-mother in law believes that if you don't eat what you crave when you're pregnant your baby will resemble that food in the face.

Undecided

I think I would be getting granny checked for Alzheimer's dementia. If she checks out medically, I'd look into a restraining order. Dodgy

Lol. She lives in Guatemala so we are safe. She believes a lot of crazy stuff though. Like everyone has worms in their stomachs obviously, if not then what would eat our food??
She's probably the craziest person I have ever met.