• 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 07:10 PM
RE: Are false beliefs ok?
BlinkShocking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2013, 07:12 PM
There is a reason why none of us here seem to be bothered with the beliefs of Buddhists, Hindus or Jains...

It's because their religions are distinct from their social structures and their moral systems.

Meaning that their beliefs will never be forced onto others outside their communities.

The reverse is what pisses off many of us regarding the monotheisms.

However, they still indoctrinate their children with these, albeit harmless, beliefs... which, in my view, is still a form of child abuse.

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
22-12-2013, 08:55 PM
False beliefs are fine in some ways, in other ways they are not. The problem is that most of humanity can't distinguish between facts and beliefs - or maybe most of humanity doesn't want to distinguish.
22-12-2013, 09:10 PM
A belief based on a lie, is still a lie. Is that anyway to live one's life? I don't think so.

[Image: tumblr_mbm8v1CoCp1ruxis1o1_500.jpg]

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
22-12-2013, 09:16 PM
eh, I'm pretty good on calling people on their shit. I'm a bit lenient on theists, thats fine makes them happy good.
Now, if someone I know is going to a psychic for $50+ I'm gonna unleash some hellBig Grin

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-12-2013, 09:32 PM
(22-12-2013 06:38 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Most atheists will claim they are fine with allowing theists to believe as they wish, so long as those theists are not infringing upon the rights of others with those beliefs and so long as others are not harmed due to those beliefs.

As an anti-theist, I do not hold to that nonsense. I would rather see the entire belief system eradicated, seeing no real benefit for allowing anyone to cling to their self-deluded religious beliefs.
If Hitler's followers were evil then so are Christians.
22-12-2013, 09:38 PM
It only took 16 posts to prove Godwin's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
22-12-2013, 09:39 PM
(22-12-2013 06:58 PM)natachan Wrote:  I believe that each person has a moral obligation TO THEMSELVES to seek out the truth regardless of their own personal scruples. This is a personal belief of mine, and I understand as such it can hold no weight with others except as they can rationally judge it.
And I believe anyone who believes he is superior to anyone, for whatever reason, is evil (to use Christinsanity's favourite word) and deserves every bit of shit they get pelted with.
22-12-2013, 09:47 PM
I can't legally stop people from having wacky beliefs or raising their children with them...but I'm always going to do everything within my power to make people wake up from them.

For one, I don't want people to live in fantasy worlds unless there is no other alternative for them. For two, I have a right to be concerned with how the people in my community vote and what things they will fight for.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
22-12-2013, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2013 09:52 PM by The Misanthrope.)
(22-12-2013 09:38 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  It only took 16 posts to prove Godwin's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

If you can come up with a word that insinuates Christians are more evil than Nazis I'll gladly use it. Yes