Are false beliefs ok?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 12:57 AM
RE: Are false beliefs ok?
Lost, did I make a judgment? I made an observation and asked a question.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 08:57 AM
(22-12-2013 06:38 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Most atheists will claim they are fine with allowing theists to believe as they wish, so long as those theists are not infringing upon the rights of others with those beliefs and so long as others are not harmed due to those beliefs.

As an anti-theist, I do not hold to that nonsense. I would rather see the entire belief system eradicated, seeing no real benefit for allowing anyone to cling to their self-deluded religious beliefs.

I think it's better for people to hold stupid beliefs that don't hurt people than stupid beliefs that do hurt people; however, I would rather people be honest in examining their own beliefs and to see a lot of these beliefs just go away.

The problem with this is that many people refuse to look at their own beliefs honestly. They might trick themselves into saying they are. I've seen Christian Bible studies and other discussions that "look at both sides" with an obviously predefined end-goal in mind. If you butt in and tell people why they're wrong, they'll see you as being rude and simply become further entrenched. I wish there were some way to simply get them to be honest about their beliefs.
Find all posts by this user
23-12-2013, 09:16 AM
(23-12-2013 12:57 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Lost, did I make a judgment? I made an observation and asked a question.

I'm sorry, love. I wasn't trying to accuse you of making a judgement. I was just trying to answer your 2 questions with my honest opinion.
23-12-2013, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2013 09:23 AM by BlackMason.)
False beliefs are not ok. False beliefs have the potential to ruin lives. Take your typical muslim extremist suicide bomber. A false belief gone wrong.

False beliefs are not ok because it is our beliefs that inform our actions. When a person's internal model of reality is flawed, disaster is only a few steps away. Look at people rejecting medical intervention and going for faith healing via prayer instead. There's a bible scripture that says "death and life are in the power of the tongue, they that love it shall enjoy the benefits of it". So some people in my family think that they can use their words to achieve something like greater wealth. This of course is absolutely bogus and results in bitter disappointments that affect people who are not directly involved. These are examples of flawed internal models of reality or false beliefs.

False beliefs should be eradicated! They serve only to hold back our species. Not so harmless now?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
23-12-2013, 09:27 AM
False beliefs increase the likelihood of detrimental actions. To the extent that beliefs are internal, they are of little concern. When they inform action they are of concern.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
23-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I've become convinced that human beings will likely never be ok with the reality of their mortality. As such, there may always be beliefs centered on an immortal soul, which are the foundation of all other religious belief. Even in the face of the most convincing evidence to the contrary. Honestly, I feel uncomfortable challenging people who I surmise really need to live forever, especially elderly people.
23-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Karma is the only woo that woos me
It keeps testing my faithlessness.
or god could be fucking with me.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
24-12-2013, 12:15 AM
(23-12-2013 09:38 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Karma is the only woo that woos me
It keeps testing my faithlessness.
or god could be fucking with me.

Doesn't karma only count for past lives and racking up points for the next one?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
24-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Hmm, my take on this might be harsh.

Should they have the right to hold false beliefs (assuming they don't harm others)? Well if you mean they shouldn't be killed or punished for their beliefs, then sure.
Should they have the right to have their false beliefs respected, acknowledged, or protected from ridicule? No, not in my opinion.
Should they have the right to spread their false beliefs as if it is fact under a protected status under the law? No, not in my opinion.
Should they have the right to manipulate impressionable minds to follow their false beliefs? No, not in my opinion.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
24-12-2013, 12:54 AM
The only way false beliefs are okay is if you're child that still believes in Santa
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user