Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2013, 02:07 AM
RE: Are false beliefs ok?
(24-12-2013 12:15 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 09:38 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Karma is the only woo that woos me
It keeps testing my faithlessness.
or god could be fucking with me.

Doesn't karma only count for past lives and racking up points for the next one?

If I did believe in karma then it would be a customised sporehux edition..
Actually I'm close to creating a purely materialistic karmic belief system.
Where karma is exchanged as positive and negative algorithms with causal probabilities.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2013, 02:41 AM
False beliefs are only okay if you are ready to accept they may be wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
24-12-2013, 07:41 AM
(24-12-2013 02:07 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 12:15 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Doesn't karma only count for past lives and racking up points for the next one?

If I did believe in karma then it would be a customised sporehux edition..
Actually I'm close to creating a purely materialistic karmic belief system.
Where karma is exchanged as positive and negative algorithms with causal probabilities.

So it works like credit default swaps? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2013, 07:42 AM
The more your beliefs deviate from objective reality, the higher the probability that said reality will kick your ass. Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
24-12-2013, 09:35 AM
(22-12-2013 06:34 PM)natachan Wrote:  I'm posting this here because it is a question that has been bothering me. It's a question my father brought up with me. I like to say that everyone is entitled to their opinion and to their own belief. But what if this opinion or belief is demonstrably false? Do you have the right to the opinion that if you eat nothing but peanut brittle you will turn into a peanut?

There is one poster who believes that the prisons consist of a higher percentage of atheists than the public at large. We have another that believes the earth doesn't rotate and is the center of the universe. There are others who hold beliefs that are proven to be false. Do they have a right to believe these things? Do they have a moral obligation to themselves to admit their beliefs hold no water?

I think a person has the right to hold a false belief no matter how ludicrous it is or how obviously contrary it is to reality. But the right also stops there. They do not have the right to teach or impose that false belief upon others (good luck enforcing that though). They also don't necessarily have the right to act upon that belief, especially if doing so will cause harm to others.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
24-12-2013, 09:58 AM
My dad seems to think that these people who hold demonstrably false beliefs deserve to be ridiculed and mocked. I think that simply ignoring them is better. He holds that if its false you don't have to respect their belief. I'm not sure.
24-12-2013, 10:14 AM
(24-12-2013 09:58 AM)natachan Wrote:  My dad seems to think that these people who hold demonstrably false beliefs deserve to be ridiculed and mocked. I think that simply ignoring them is better. He holds that if its false you don't have to respect their belief. I'm not sure.

I can ignore them until they try to shove something down my throat or legislate something that affects my life. Then it's gloves off.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
24-12-2013, 10:18 AM
(24-12-2013 09:58 AM)natachan Wrote:  My dad seems to think that these people who hold demonstrably false beliefs deserve to be ridiculed and mocked. I think that simply ignoring them is better. He holds that if its false you don't have to respect their belief. I'm not sure.

There is no reason to respect false beliefs. In fact, it is intellectually dishonest to do so.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-12-2013, 10:37 AM
In my experience *everyone* is fucked up somehow, so why would I trust some bungling government to mandate what can and cannot be taught to my kid? Rather do the job myself, run the risk of indoctrinating the kid, but at least the little fucker will be indoctrinated with the best set of beliefs that *I* can possibly give him.

At the same time I see no point in trying to control someone else's thinking. Freedom of thought is a human right, so obviously at some point el kiddo's gotta learn to think for himself...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-12-2013, 11:16 AM
(22-12-2013 11:16 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...
on a collision course with Andromeda

According to Hubble, the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.

I've seen a couple of Prof. Krauss lectures where he demonstrates this, that the galaxies are moving away from each other, by showing overlaid grids of dots.

So what gives with Andromeda?

Didn't it get the memo?