Are good and evil useless moral concepts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 03:02 PM
RE: Are good and evil useless moral concepts?
It's simple.

Good = Guinness Stout
Evil = Coors Light

This may seem a bit simplistic - but it will help you keep things correctly classified as "good" or "evil".

Always willing to help.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Irrational, but not necessarily useless.

'Murican Canadian
15-05-2015, 01:42 PM
@Tomasia

Sorry for the late response, but to clarify my point and attempt to your question I would put it this way. Lack and excess of a characteristic or action. For exemple, a person who is violent will generally be qualified evil, but to me, it would seem more logical to call it excessively violent since violence in itself isn't wrong and someone who lack violence might just happen to be doing wrong things and be considered evil. Thus the stigma is moved from the characteristic to the circomstances and the choices made at that specific point.
17-05-2015, 09:59 PM
Victim: Please do not take away my life, It is not agreeable for me to lack consciousness, you will deny a family their father, a husband... I am afraid and I will do anything temporarily to avoid the 'bad' fate it looks like you are just about to inflict upon my world that revolves only for me.

Killer: But I get a reward from this, I have an agenda, a personal interest. I can not fathom nor do I care for how you feel, the only care I have Is if I was to be caught. I would lose my freedom forever. My worlds spinning around me right now and whilst you may not think it now, I feel as if IM the victim of all this.

Me as an observer to the analogy: Nihilism. Its good, bad, both and neither.

Unless im the victim......

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
17-05-2015, 10:17 PM
First of all, please edit your spelling. From a Taoist perspective,"good" and "evil" events are simply events. It is humans that put the judgement upon them. Look at how much "good" comes from natural disasters. Humanity bands together to offer aid after earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. when it comes to human actions, we all have the impression that altruism is better than selfishness. This is only true if there is a creator, otherwise it's just another human judgement.
18-05-2015, 06:10 AM
(15-05-2015 01:42 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Sorry for the late response, but to clarify my point and attempt to your question I would put it this way. Lack and excess of a characteristic or action. For exemple, a person who is violent will generally be qualified evil, but to me, it would seem more logical to call it excessively violent since violence in itself isn't wrong and someone who lack violence might just happen to be doing wrong things and be considered evil. Thus the stigma is moved from the characteristic to the circomstances and the choices made at that specific point.

So it instead of calling the holocaust evil, we would call it an excessively violent event?
18-05-2015, 06:51 AM
(18-05-2015 06:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  So it instead of calling the holocaust evil, we would call it an excessively violent event?

If God didn't step in to stop it, can you call the holocaust evil? You might say that the defeat of the axis powers was God's punishment for the holocaust, but if you head down that path I for one cannot follow you there. Everything in this world is tolerable to God so in what sense is anything evil under God's law?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
18-05-2015, 07:02 AM
(18-05-2015 06:51 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  [b]If God didn't step in to stop it ...

You mean like superman would have? Thawarted the plan of his puny Lex Luther (Hitler), with this superior superpowers?

Quote:......can you call the holocaust evil?

Yea, why not. Why does one thing negate the other?

Quote:You might say that the defeat of the axis powers was God's punishment for the holocaust,

No, I wouldn't say that either.

Quote: Everything in this world is tolerable to God so in what sense is anything evil under God's law?

God created our world, which functions and exists the way it does, with all its pain, misery and tragedy, and creatures capable of committing great evil, along with good, along with hopefulness, joy, and love. Why would something like the holocaust which is seen as evil by most people, no longer be evil, because of a God who created a world, with the capacities for it?

Are we just now gonna go down the route of claiming that a God who created a world like this, could not be good, he would have to be malevolent or something like that?