Are incest laws hypocritical?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2010, 08:07 AM
RE: Are incest laws hypocritical?
I never actually stated my opinion on this. It is gross, but I think a lot of things gross. I don't think incest laws should be too terribly strict, isolated cases are no big deal, but in more of a cult like setting(that can last for generations), then I think we need some laws against that.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2010, 12:10 PM

Soooo... How do we get from Adam and Eve to now without incest? Just saying.
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Never mind Adam and Eve. God himself is a perpetrator of incest. Isn't he our "heavenly FATHER"? What about immaculate conception?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Or Noah and his family... Limited gene pool there; that had to include some incest... or bestiality o.0

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
(03-10-2010 02:59 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Or Noah and his family... Limited gene pool there; that had to include some incest... or bestiality o.0

Yup. One way or another, we ARE related to apes.
07-10-2010, 01:08 PM

Incest doesn't JUST increase birth defects. It can increase the chance of heredatory diesases to massivly larger amounts. For instance, the gene of some siblings both have a certain chance to get a defect. If they procreate, then their children will have the same chance. However, if the siblings procreate TOGETHER, then the chances of the offsprinbg getting the certain defect is doubled. It isn't fair on the children.

Incest laws are hypocritical, mostly I feel, because the Bible seems based off generations of inbreeding. But you have to understand that incest is wrong on a social level and an ethical level.

And incest laws are not offending to a particular person, but laws against people with defects procreating can cause 'offence' and seems like discrimination.
22-12-2010, 07:39 AM

it would be interesting to hear a bible thumpers view on this subject. if one holds that the bible is completely true, we are all products of incest, and all relations are incestuous. lets start with adam and eve... eve was created from adams rib, and their offspring did not have E Harmony to go find a date, then comes the flood and the only human survivors were Noah and his family, cozy little plato's retreat of incest, kinda like the place that convinced god to flood the joint in the first place ain't it? just more holes , contradictions and repugnant behavior spelled out in their "good book".
incest is a game i'd rather not play......
22-12-2010, 08:22 AM
(22-12-2010 07:39 AM)freethinker1 Wrote:  it would be interesting to hear a bible thumpers view on this subject. if one holds that the bible is completely true, we are all products of incest, and all relations are incestuous. lets start with adam and eve... eve was created from adams rib, and their offspring did not have E Harmony to go find a date, then comes the flood and the only human survivors were Noah and his family, cozy little plato's retreat of incest, kinda like the place that convinced god to flood the joint in the first place ain't it? just more holes , contradictions and repugnant behavior spelled out in their "good book".
incest is a game i'd rather not play......

Incest in the bible:
Adam and Eve were probably very close genetically speaking(if Eve was made from Adam's rib, they should have been twins), so there is that, and their children being fruitful with their siblings(Genesis 4). , then there is Noah(Genesis 9), then Lot is raped by his daughters(Genesis 19), and Jacob marries his nieces(Genesis 29). Point is, lots of incest.

But, I believe their general excuse is that the thing that makes inbreeding dangerous is not a lack of genetic diversity and an increase of detrimental recessive genes becoming shown, but sin. The more sin you live in(and keep in mind sin is pass on from generation to generation), the worse inbreeding is. Therefore, incest was okay back then, but not now.

It's kind of amazing how they make things fit, isn't it?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
22-12-2010, 10:46 AM
anti-incest debate!? seriously!? I thought I was open minded, but no.. I guess I have a long way to go.
I'm gonna go stand over by the "yick!!!" crowd.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
27-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Hmm... interesting, I now think the genetically disabled shouldn't mate, just for the genetic thing. And yes it may be considered descrimination by some, but there is actually some science and reasoning behind it. Although I also think that you should have to take an IQ test to get your sperm and eggs activated, so you can't pass on stupid (genetically alter human beings to have dormant eggs and sperm unless activated by a medical procedure of some sort first). Or better yet, just engineer everybody to be genetically successful like in Gattaca and don't limit anybodies mating!