Are incest laws hypocritical?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2010, 05:57 PM
RE: Are incest laws hypocritical?
(27-12-2010 01:04 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  Or better yet, just engineer everybody to be genetically successful like in Gattaca and don't limit anybodies mating!

I have suggested in a few arguments that genetically engineering people to be smart and healthy would be a good thing. For some reason people find that thought "unethical". Having this opinion does not mean that I am hating on every stupid or disabled person in the world, it just means that I don't think we should make any more of them if we have the means to do otherwise.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 10:00 PM
(27-12-2010 05:57 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  I have suggested in a few arguments that genetically engineering people to be smart and healthy would be a good thing. For some reason people find that thought "unethical". Having this opinion does not mean that I am hating on every stupid or disabled person in the world, it just means that I don't think we should make any more of them if we have the means to do otherwise.

I think that part of that fear is the whole idea of "Playing God", the horror. But seeing as there is no real god to fix things, playing god and using all brain power we have to fix the world seems like a natural thing to do.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
30-12-2010, 11:25 PM
(30-12-2010 10:00 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(27-12-2010 05:57 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  I have suggested in a few arguments that genetically engineering people to be smart and healthy would be a good thing. For some reason people find that thought "unethical". Having this opinion does not mean that I am hating on every stupid or disabled person in the world, it just means that I don't think we should make any more of them if we have the means to do otherwise.

I think that part of that fear is the whole idea of "Playing God", the horror. But seeing as there is no real god to fix things, playing god and using all brain power we have to fix the world seems like a natural thing to do.

That is actually what drives me against Christians, because I want to be a genetic engineering researcher, but fear my work will be stifled by baseless arguments.
20-01-2011, 01:40 PM

I'm not bothered if people wish to have sex with members of their own family as long as it is consensual, although they would have to take on board the way society would judge them If they were to find out. If what people are saying about genetic predispositions in children from inbreeding I would probably say I'd only agree with it if protection Is used, but then that should make me feel inclined to also think that non-related people who have genetic issues shouldn't procreate... which reminds me of that dumb argument anti-gay people use when they say Gays shouldn't marry because they cant have babies, yet it is fine for infertile people or elderly people to marry. I think most people are against incest because they think it is "yick"... I think jellied eels are "yick" but it doesn't mean i should be against other people eating them .. Tongue

(20-01-2011 11:23 AM)albernmatt Wrote:  People who were involved in incestuous few generations have been affected mentally and physically so as to be easily visible to outsiders. These characterists in farming would be scared of normal people and caused them to reject the people shown in these characterists. processing functions, then regarded as divine punishment.

I have no Idea what the hell you just said.
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Quote:I have no Idea what the hell you just said.
Replace ''you'' with ''it'' and you'll get it.

Would I allow close relatives to have a that kind of relationship?
-Yes.
Would I allow them to have kids?
-I'd rather have them use the sperm of someone who's not a relative.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any liberals capable of defending income tax laws? frankksj 154 1,785 22-05-2014 03:56 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Stand your ground laws TheBeardedDude 184 3,110 03-08-2013 02:57 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Ohio really screwed women on this anti abortion laws Bows and Arrows 8 380 01-07-2013 08:35 PM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver
  Laws on soliciting kingschosen 24 1,257 29-01-2013 02:44 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Blasphemy laws almost out the window! Janus 3 302 28-11-2012 08:34 AM
Last Post: Humakt
  Why do democrats hate voter ID laws so much? germanyt 41 2,499 18-05-2012 11:54 AM
Last Post: kineo
  What are the laws in the UK regarding close shifts (UK) Phenakist 1 240 18-03-2012 10:35 AM
Last Post: Karl