Are left wing politicians and liberals in love with Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
RE: Are left wing politicians and liberals in love with Islam
(07-11-2013 04:52 PM)kim Wrote:  Sam Harris has expressed frustration with being labeled an atheist and often employs ignostic arguments criticizing the ambiguous and inconsistent definitions of "God". Harris finds the label and concept of atheism as extraneous as needing to label oneself a non-racist or a non-believer in Zeus. In this sense, Harris finds debating about the existence of God to be both absurd and ascientific yet still an inconvenient necessity when speaking in defense of reason and science.

He's an ignostic. As am I. Big deal. Dodgy

I am also ignostic.

When asked whether I believe in God, I respond "depends... define God first."
What Theists often do is use a very abstract definition of God to prove
that God exists, or at least claim that it is impossible that he does not exist.
Then, in Church, God suddenly is this lad who listens to prayers, performs
miracles etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2013, 06:16 PM
(07-11-2013 06:03 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 05:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes.

So.... You believe one can be Jewish and not believe in any gods at the same time? Explain that one.

Have you got the mental power of a hamster?

We've been down this road already - ethnicity, culture.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-11-2013, 06:16 PM
(07-11-2013 01:51 PM)nooneofconsequence Wrote:  Another feature (in my experience) of the Left down here is strong support for Palestine and Palestinians and a ferociously anti-Israel attitude. In fact it's one of the defining differences between Left and Right here. I imagine it's the same elsewhere.

(And yes I know that not all Palestinians/Arabs are muslims but y'know Arab christians/Arab muslims -- they all piss in the same pot.)

Granted this is probably due in part to an undercurrent of generalised anti-semitism that flows through left discourse but that can't explain all of it.

I mean, why should Australians give a shit about some internecine squabble amongst the tribes of the Levant? What makes this particular bought of 1000+ year old hair-pulling an issue of such import here in the southern hemisphere? I mean surely there's enough oppression in our near neighbourhood (Indonesia, Burma, Malaysia, Indigenous Australians etc.) to occupy our attention?

Sure those things get a run at ranty, patchouli-scented student demos outside Sydney Town Hall but the Palestinian clusterfuck really makes cunts freak out.

After some pondering, I've concluded that it's probably got more to do with Leftist concerns about the US. Israel is seen as the most tangible product of American post war "imperialism" (for want of a better word) and is to be struggled against accordingly.

Y'know BDS, aid flotillas to Gaza and all that other stuff. So I conclude that the hard-on my fellow lefties have for Palestine is largely a "my enemy's enemy is my friend" type thing.

Or something like that. It's still early here. Undecided

I should add it's not my intention to divert this otherwise stimulating exchange into yet another interminable back-and-forth about the Yids versus the Camel Fuckers.

-- Max

Leftists are often more sympathetic to Palestine than rightists. I do not think
this has anything to do with Islam, but more with Palestine being perceived
as the underdog here.
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
(07-11-2013 06:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-11-2013 06:03 PM)I and I Wrote:  So.... You believe one can be Jewish and not believe in any gods at the same time? Explain that one.

Have you got the mental power of a hamster?

We've been down this road already - ethnicity, culture.

Don't be rude to Hamsters. I&I is just a troll nothing more. He is generally ignorant of most science and has an irrational hatred towards anyone smarter than himself and since he is kind of a dim bulb that includes a lot of people. He says things for shock value because he needs to be the center of attention and is not capable of doing that without acting out. All in all he is a waste of space and irrelevant to any conversation since he cannot actually contribute in a meaningful way.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
So many big questions this morning!

(07-11-2013 02:10 PM)I and I Wrote:  ...
I see no reason for not hating a racist fascist extremely oppressive Israel. Tell me a reason why I shouldn't hate such a government.

Because hate is bad for your soul.

(07-11-2013 02:16 PM)I and I Wrote:  ...
Question: why do atheists love a right wing murder and torture supporting religious guy? Sam Harris

Which ones? Please name them.

So.... You believe one can be Jewish and not believe in any gods at the same time? Explain that one.

What do these four awesome orators have in common?

[Image: pl_print_harris_f.jpg][Image: 300pxStephenfry.jpg][Image: article-2190200-00162F5900000258-265_306x423.jpg][Image: DLJ_b&w.jpg]

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
07-11-2013, 06:34 PM
(07-11-2013 06:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So many big questions this morning!

I see no reason for not hating a racist fascist extremely oppressive Israel. Tell me a reason why I shouldn't hate such a government.

Because hate is bad for your soul.

(07-11-2013 02:16 PM)I and I Wrote:  ...
Question: why do atheists love a right wing murder and torture supporting religious guy? Sam Harris

Which ones? Please name them.

What do these four awesome orators have in common?

[Image: pl_print_harris_f.jpg][Image: 300pxStephenfry.jpg][Image: article-2190200-00162F5900000258-265_306x423.jpg][Image: DLJ_b&w.jpg]

They all smoke Player's?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2013, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 06:42 PM by Heathen.)
Are left wing politicians and liberals in love with Islam?

I hate the left/right, conservative/liberal dichotomy. It insults my intelligence. Some embrace those labels and some can't see past them.

However, some people choose to try to understand Islam. It has a very long complicated history and has a major influence on our world. Seems to me that it just might be a good idea to learn about it and understand who these Muslims really are. Don't non-muslims want the same thing? I've known several and have had a few very "deep" conversations with them. They are not much different than Christians. Just a different fairy tale. Yes, there are some very extreme Islamists but they are pretty much "over there" but we have a few crazy Christians "over here" too and they are actually in government and creating law. Which is really more dangerous? Take 9/11 out of the equation, see past the hysteria and add up the numbers. Of dead.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post
07-11-2013, 06:40 PM
(07-11-2013 06:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  ...
They all smoke Player's?

Perhaps they are players who smoke? I dunno but nope.

You can have two more guesses.

(and no, it's not that they are liberals who are in love with Islam)

07-11-2013, 06:43 PM
(07-11-2013 06:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What do these four awesome orators have in common?

Girly's got this one. They're all Jewish! ... Consider ... No there's more than that. ... Consider ... They're all Jewish atheists! ... Consider ... I'm still missing something. ... Consider ... They're all gay Jewish atheists! What'd I win?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-11-2013, 06:45 PM
I used to enjoy them.....
[Image: Player_s_navy_cut_filter_s_20_b_white_bl...a-copy.jpg]

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post