Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2012, 09:09 AM
RE: Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?
INTP.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post
14-09-2012, 09:28 AM
(14-09-2012 08:22 AM)Dom Wrote:  Do you have to take the short one to get a letter definition (INTJ) ?

I took the long one and got descriptions but I don't see any letter combination at all.

Yup....perhpaps I will just remove the link for the long one to encourage more results for us...

14-09-2012, 09:30 AM
This is mildly depressing:

Extraversion............... 1

Friendliness................ 3

Altruism..................... 3

Sympathy................... 3

Orderliness................. 2

Self-Discipline............. 3

Emotionality............... 1

But so what? Got it where it counts:

Intellect................... 96

Liberalism................ 97

Psychological liberalism refers to a readiness to challenge authority, convention, and traditional values. In its most extreme form, psychological liberalism can even represent outright hostility toward rules, sympathy for law-breakers, and love of ambiguity, chaos, and disorder.

Hi 5. Yeah!

14-09-2012, 09:37 AM
(14-09-2012 08:54 AM)Impulse Wrote:  ISTJ for me. I'm not sure about the S. Reading the descriptions for S vs. N, I think I cross over between the two a lot depending on the situation.

I have taken a several of these before, I sometimes get INTF instead of INTJ (Feeling instead of Judging). I have come to the conclusion that I am probably between 55-60% Judging. As I said, this test like all tests of this type, are flawed. That doesn't mean they aren't useful. It still gives you an insight into yourself.

14-09-2012, 03:49 PM
(13-09-2012 08:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I am curious, do you think that Atheists and Agnostics are non-believers because of their personality type?

Regardless of the (possibly/probably flawed) personality test, the title of the thread raises an interesting question: are we atheists because we're thinkers or are we thinkers because we're atheists, or are we thinking atheists because of some other cause?

We're probably not thinkers because we're atheists. Can probably rule that one out.

(13-09-2012 08:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I have meet plenty of intelligent Theists in my day, and personally do not believe that intelligence is the cause of our non-belief.

Intelligent does not necessarily equate to being a "thinker". Or more specifically, to being a critical thinker. Other factors figure into that mix, such as willingness to explore alternative solutions. William Lane Craig is clearly intelligent. Yes, I'll grant him that. But put him in a situation that requires critical thinking to arrive at some conclusion, any conclusion except "God did it", and he's helpless.

(13-09-2012 08:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I am curious if there is a trend for our personalities. ... If my suspicions are correct, it may explain why such a small portion of our worlds population are non-believers, and why so many are Theists (some personality types are much more common than others.

So you're posing this as a hypothesis, but then your experiment involves visiting a website to take a test that you yourself claim could be flawed (not cited; see original post). Consider this your first peer review. The experiment seems to be flawed since your test subject group includes people who are united by other factors than atheism or thinking. Factors such as culture, geography, technological savvy and/or internet competency could skew your results. Also, some people may be timid about sharing the results of a psychological test with random strangers; their results won't be included in your data. There also exists the possibility that, since the test subjects are exposing their own personal results to a group of associates (fellow members here at this forum), they may report false data if their actual results embarrass them. Further, you admitted that the personality test may be flawed which invalidates it as a reliable tool for gathering the data. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, your test subjects all know they're being tested - this is always a huge impediment to gathering accurate data for psychological studies as test subjects rarely behave the same under observation as they do when they believe they are not being observed.

As interesting as the idea is, I'm not sure it will accurately generate the results you're hoping to see.

I am an ISTJ. A 6%er. Pillar of strength.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
14-09-2012, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2012 01:13 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-09-2012 08:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I am curious, do you think that Atheists, and similar folks like Atheist Agnostics, and Agnostics non-believers because of their personality type?

If by personality type you mean feeling comfortable saying "Did you step in shit? 'Cause I smell shit.", then yes.

I took the test and came back as:

INFP: "Questor". Idealistic, self-sacrificing, and somewhat cool or reserved. They are very family and home oriented, and have a high capacity for caring. High sense of honor derived from internal values. 1% of the total population.

When my wife saw it I couldn't get her off the floor. Thought she was having a seizure or something. Ready to call 911. She redid it for me and I came back as:

INTP: "Architect". Great precision in thought and language. Can readily discern contradictions and inconsistencies. They are good at logic and math and make good philosophers and theoretical scientists. 1% of the total population.

Fucking ManlyGirl. Thinking she knows me better than I know me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-09-2012, 05:47 PM
You guys realize this test has been thoroughly discredited by field of psychology right?
14-09-2012, 05:47 PM
(14-09-2012 05:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 08:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I am curious, do you think that Atheists, and similar folks like Atheist Agnostics, and Agnostics non-believers because of their personality type?

If by personality type you mean feeling comfortable saying "Did you step in shit? 'Cause I smell shit.", then yes.

INFP: "Questor". Idealistic, self-sacrificing, and somewhat cool or reserved. They are very family and home oriented, and have a high capacity for caring. High sense of honor derived from internal values. 1% of the total population.

When my wife saw it I couldn't get her off the floor. Thought she was having a seizure or something. She redid it for me and I came back as:

INTP: "Architect". Great precision in thought and language. Can readily discern contradictions and inconsistencies. They are good at logic and math and make good philosophers and theoretical scientists. 1% of the total population.

She might not be wrong. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2012, 05:49 PM
(14-09-2012 05:47 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  You guys realize this test has been thoroughly discredited by field of psychology right?

Oh, come on. It's on teh internetz - it must be true. Unsure

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-09-2012, 05:50 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2012 05:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-09-2012 05:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-09-2012 05:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If by personality type you mean feeling comfortable saying "Did you step in shit? 'Cause I smell shit.", then yes.

When my wife saw it I couldn't get her off the floor. Thought she was having a seizure or something. She redid it for me and I came back as:

She might not be wrong. Consider

Yeah, I was being terse and sarcastic. Wink

(14-09-2012 05:47 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  You guys realize this test has been thoroughly discredited by field of psychology right?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.