Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2012, 11:06 PM
RE: Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?
(14-09-2012 03:49 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(13-09-2012 08:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I am curious, do you think that Atheists and Agnostics are non-believers because of their personality type?

Regardless of the (possibly/probably flawed) personality test, the title of the thread raises an interesting question: are we atheists because we're thinkers or are we thinkers because we're atheists, or are we thinking atheists because of some other cause?

We're probably not thinkers because we're atheists. Can probably rule that one out.

(13-09-2012 08:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I have meet plenty of intelligent Theists in my day, and personally do not believe that intelligence is the cause of our non-belief.

Intelligent does not necessarily equate to being a "thinker". Or more specifically, to being a critical thinker. Other factors figure into that mix, such as willingness to explore alternative solutions. William Lane Craig is clearly intelligent. Yes, I'll grant him that. But put him in a situation that requires critical thinking to arrive at some conclusion, any conclusion except "God did it", and he's helpless.

(13-09-2012 08:47 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I am curious if there is a trend for our personalities. ... If my suspicions are correct, it may explain why such a small portion of our worlds population are non-believers, and why so many are Theists (some personality types are much more common than others.

So you're posing this as a hypothesis, but then your experiment involves visiting a website to take a test that you yourself claim could be flawed (not cited; see original post). Consider this your first peer review. The experiment seems to be flawed since your test subject group includes people who are united by other factors than atheism or thinking. Factors such as culture, geography, technological savvy and/or internet competency could skew your results. Also, some people may be timid about sharing the results of a psychological test with random strangers; their results won't be included in your data. There also exists the possibility that, since the test subjects are exposing their own personal results to a group of associates (fellow members here at this forum), they may report false data if their actual results embarrass them. Further, you admitted that the personality test may be flawed which invalidates it as a reliable tool for gathering the data. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, your test subjects all know they're being tested - this is always a huge impediment to gathering accurate data for psychological studies as test subjects rarely behave the same under observation as they do when they believe they are not being observed.

As interesting as the idea is, I'm not sure it will accurately generate the results you're hoping to see.

I am an ISTJ. A 6%er. Pillar of strength.

I am well aware that this is flawed. I think you are wrong about culture, and you are certainly wrong about geography. This website is a place that has members from various countries in almost all of the continents on the globe (excepting possibly Asia). This is a large enough cross-section of our globe to create a pretty accurate representation of all Atheists. The results may be slightly biased against those who are not tech computer savvy and those in remote locations, but that is a shrinking amount of the population, and in any event it is still more accurate than a lot of studies done by professional sociologists (which I am not). Yes, the participants in our make-shift study are aware that they are being tested, and that can skew the results, but that is a problem found in a lot of reputable studies as well. The fact that this is a social science experiment makes it flawed. Peoples actions and words are influenced by a myriad of outside influences that can not fully be taken into account. People lie with their words, and actions, even when they are not aware of it. Anyhow, yes I know this isn't perfect, but it's results can still be useful, and provide useful data. Thanks for giving me your input though, and thanks for participating.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
15-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Hmmm... Yea, sounds about right.

ISTPs are impulsive, fearless, and crave excitement. They like tools, and instruments, and often become technical experts. 5% of the total population.
ISTPs value privacy and sometimes keep important issues to themselves. Their concern for the present moment and their inability to recognize the importance of setting goals, often leads them into conflict with authority. Being action-oriented, ISTPs react against restrictions — which typically causes the controls placed on them to increase. In these situations, boredom can quickly set in and the ISTP may experience feelings of internal emptiness. Overly regulated situations cause ISTPs stress. In such situations, ISTPs either attempt to flee or turn to fight their adversary face-to-face.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
15-09-2012, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2012 12:53 AM by GirlyMan.)
(15-09-2012 12:27 AM)Karl Wrote:  ... either attempt to flee or turn to fight their adversary face-to-face.

Are there other options? ... Showing them how I can take their best beating and just blow it off like gnats in my face is one, I guess. ... Clever ones might even learn something useful.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
15-09-2012, 12:47 AM
(14-09-2012 05:47 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  You guys realize this test has been thoroughly discredited by field of psychology right?

What?? Crap! I just quit the day job and took up all the careers it suggested. Sad

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
15-09-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm on the border between INTJ and INTP

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
15-09-2012, 12:59 AM
(14-09-2012 05:47 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  You guys realize this test has been thoroughly discredited by field of psychology right?

It’s like your horoscope, you know it’s arse but you still have to read it.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
15-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Agreed, DarkLight. I always believed that personality was a major cause of unbelief, although I based that on anecdotal evidence. It's better to have scientific backing, as your experiment attempts to create.

Great work!

Another thought: Michael Shermer has made the case that there's a genetic component, too. He claims that rebellion against one's religion of childhood is possibly a genetic trait, and I've found that true in my own case (both of my parents rebelled against the religions they were raised in, too). So like many things, one's religion may have complex and varied causes.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm also an INTP by the listing as it goes:

I know it's been talked about here before with some surprising numbers being NT range types or similar thinking times in whatever the combo's are... I'm not sure it's exactly connected to atheists in general. While atheism is the main drive to this place obviously, it's also the type of rational atheism that I think is a reason for the connection.

So I would say secular rationalists or whatever you want to call that type of grouping, are more likely to be atheists, and those NT types are more likely to be rationalists.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Correlation does not imply causation.

That is all. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
15-09-2012, 02:24 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2012 02:28 AM by GirlyMan.)
(15-09-2012 02:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Correlation does not imply causation.

That is all. Smile

No shit Voyeur, why you telling us something we all already know. .... Nah I'm just fuckin' with you, brother.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.