Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2012, 11:35 AM
RE: Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?
Yeah, I don't know if there's any correlation, I always get INTJ on these tests though and I think that seems fairly accurate (though I sort of dislike a lot of the questions, but whatever). In my own case, I'd say that maybe the fact that I'm more drawn to facts and evidence (not feelings) may have some relation to why I don't believe in deities.

A lot of my religious relatives are the types who say they just "feel" God in their hearts and that makes them "know" he exists; whereas my criteria for whether or not something is likely to exist has more to do with evidence than feelings. Even if I "felt" God "in my heart," I wouldn't be able to use that to prove to myself that a god exists without sufficient evidence to back it up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2012, 11:39 AM
What? Another INTJ? That's around 90% of us here, by my calculation.

So much for "less than 1% of the population!" theory.

Find all posts by this user
05-10-2012, 12:01 PM
In my experience, there's an extroardinarily large number of INTJs on the internet. I think a sampling of any group of internet users will have a large sample bias toward INTJs and similar "types". Combine that with a forum dedicated to an intellectual topic like atheism, and it's not surprising that 90% are INTJ. A computer forum I go to often is something like 80% INTJ.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
05-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Rainbow RE: Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?
(05-10-2012 12:01 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  In my experience, there's an extroardinarily large number of INTJs on the internet. I think a sampling of any group of internet users will have a large sample bias toward INTJs and similar "types". Combine that with a forum dedicated to an intellectual topic like atheism, and it's not surprising that 90% are INTJ. A computer forum I go to often is something like 80% INTJ.

Respectfully, Phaedrus, your logic is flawed. Instead of this lending credence to my hypothesis, you say that the statistics for the test is at fault. Likewise, if we got much different results, you would see that as evidence that the personality types has nothing to do with Atheism. Either way, there isn't evidence to help support the hypothesis in your mind. What is more likely is that you are attracted to forums that have an interest in things that are attracting similar personality types. I have requested that other family members and friends via Facebook take the same quiz, and out of about 12-15 people there was zero INTJ's, and zero Atheists (unless they are closeted Atheists which is very unlikely for all but one of them who regularly post Jesus and God crap all over my newsfeed.) Now, this is far from conclusive and I welcome others to get results from a more neutral place if they wish, but I see no reason why the psychologists who developed these tests to try and skew the statistics. So they we can all feel special? I find that unlikely. Either way, I didn't mean to offend you, or insinuate that you are dumb or anything of the sort, and just to prove it, my icon for this post is a pretty rainbow.

05-10-2012, 06:27 PM
I would have said something along the lines of "Here's some bubble wrap. Go nuts". But rainbows are just as fun.

Speaking as an INFJ, it's only natural I post the above. And bubble wrap is cool.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
05-10-2012, 06:33 PM
I get INTJ or ISTJ every time I do this test.

Now, some thoughts in the thread topic;

I think there is a strong correlation between personality type (I'm not referring to the test site system) and religious belief. Most people on the frontiers of science are there because they are inquisitive - they enjoy learning new things, making observations, and questioning the world. The more one learns about the way the world works, the less likely one is to maintain a belief in God(s), simply because the mechanics of the world discovered through science contradict many claims made by religious texts and traditions. Things that were once mysteries answered only by god are now understood through scientific research.

So intelligence and an inquisitive nature tends to lead to atheism. A look at the scientific community shows that - the great majority are either irreligious or at best liberally religious (ie. Christians who cherry-pick passages from the bible that don't conflict with modern society or science).

There are morons and geniuses in both camps, but the geniuses tend to gravitate to atheism. Not all atheists are thinkers, but a lot of atheists are atheists because they are thinkers.

Yeah, love that last sentence don't you?

Sexy.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post
05-10-2012, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 06:50 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
(05-10-2012 06:33 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I think there is a strong correlation between personality type (I'm not referring to the test site system) and religious belief.

Gotta say I agree there.

Now my question is, can religion influence the Thinking and Feeling of the test DarkLight posted? I guess I'd have to go back a few posts and see who identified as an INFJ (I know there's one, at least). I'd like to compare notes. Or feelings, in this case.

EDIT: LadyJane! You've been spotted. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
06-10-2012, 01:46 PM
According to the test, I am an ENFJ or Extroverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging. The definition seems somewhat accurate but largely inaccurate in some areas.

The personality type that seems to fit me more accurately is ENTP or Extraverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving.

I'm a Theist, btw.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
06-10-2012, 02:32 PM
(06-10-2012 01:46 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  According to the test, I am an ENFJ or Extroverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging. The definition seems somewhat accurate but largely inaccurate in some areas.

The personality type that seems to fit me more accurately is ENTP or Extraverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving.

I'm a Theist, btw.

So the current thread's hypothesis and my earlier one are both now categorically proved correct.

Did someone say "sample size". STFU!

Atheists are now officially all honourable and noble Introvert-Thinkers and theists are officially proved to be abnormal Extrovert-Feelers.

Extrovert-Feelers... do you think there is are questions about that on an application form to be catholic priest?

Are you outgoing and happy to speak in public?
Are you generally a tactile person?

Sorry, Ideasonscribe, but sometimes I can't resist the temptation.

06-10-2012, 02:49 PM
(06-10-2012 02:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 01:46 PM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  According to the test, I am an ENFJ or Extroverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging. The definition seems somewhat accurate but largely inaccurate in some areas.

I'm a Theist, btw.

So the current thread's hypothesis and my earlier one are both now categorically proved correct.

Did someone say "sample size". STFU!

Atheists are now officially all honourable and noble Introvert-Thinkers and theists are officially proved to be abnormal Extrovert-Feelers.

Extrovert-Feelers... do you think there is are questions about that on an application form to be catholic priest?

Are you outgoing and happy to speak in public?
Are you generally a tactile person?

Sorry, Ideasonscribe, but sometimes I can't resist the temptation.

And there are the more highly-evolved ESTJs like me.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post