Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2012, 10:47 PM
RE: Are most Atheists "Thinkers" due to their personality type?
(05-10-2012 06:43 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 06:33 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I think there is a strong correlation between personality type (I'm not referring to the test site system) and religious belief.

Gotta say I agree there.

Now my question is, can religion influence the Thinking and Feeling of the test DarkLight posted? I guess I'd have to go back a few posts and see who identified as an INFJ (I know there's one, at least). I'd like to compare notes. Or feelings, in this case.

EDIT: LadyJane! You've been spotted. Big Grin

So, we are introverted feelers.

This is not new news to me, this does ring true to my personality.

I do think personality type would correlate to atheism/theism. I am actually surprised I am not brainwashed into religion. I guess my saving grace would be that I don't blindly follow my feelings. The introverted part would maybe contribute to analyzing the shit out of the feelings instead of just blindly projecting it, spreading whatever the feeling of the day is.

But yes, I process a lot of what I think based on my feeling.

I've studied an interesting paper on feelings and how they guide our thinking process. Part of the study followed some surgeons and how they made their decisions during surgeries. Even with strategy and protocol, the final decisions were based largely on a feeling of positive or negative for which way they should head in their decision making process. I found this super interesting, because this is largely how I preform. I suppose this is a type of 'intuition', which was part of this personality descriptor in this test. Also, as an aside, in person I often say "I feel" rather than "I think" when giving my idea or opinion (most people as far as I can tell say "I think", which is what I usually use when typing.)

I find atheists are very strategical in how they process information. Much like a scientist, which many here are- maybe more than other forums that are religious?

One of the biggest components to brainwashing is emotion. It is also the huge leverage for advertisement. Those of us who have been able to navigate our lives by relying on a broader thought process have recognized this and more or less escape these manipulations, which would explain the heavy side of this particular personality on this forum. Also, the world's atheism ratio is growing by the day, so maybe that is why these dated stats for the test are way off, the stats are just changing that much. Just a guess.

CTS, what are your thoughts and feelings? Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 12:25 AM
(06-10-2012 10:47 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Also, as an aside, in person I often say "I feel" rather than "I think" when giving my idea or opinion (most people as far as I can tell say "I think", which is what I usually use when typing.)

I think you are right on the money LadyJane, but I found this passage kind of strange. I am very unemotional, and can be seen as impersonal, and cold and I do not let feelings outweigh logic and reason like most of us here, but I would very rarley say "I think", I would just make my statement. Obviously it is what I think, otherwise I would say so, it is the default.

Roses are pretty

I think that roses are pretty.

For the sake of argument, let say I think roses are pretty.

07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
(07-10-2012 12:25 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(06-10-2012 10:47 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Also, as an aside, in person I often say "I feel" rather than "I think" when giving my idea or opinion (most people as far as I can tell say "I think", which is what I usually use when typing.)

I think you are right on the money LadyJane, but I found this passage kind of strange. I am very unemotional, and can be seen as impersonal, and cold and I do not let feelings outweigh logic and reason like most of us here, but I would very rarley say "I think", I would just make my statement. Obviously it is what I think, otherwise I would say so, it is the default.

Roses are pretty

I think that roses are pretty.

For the sake of argument, let say I think roses are pretty.

Sure, this could be another way to express an opinion or state a fact. "I see" and "I imagine" come to mind, too. My grandmother used "I imagine" a lot. "I imagine it will rain soon, the clouds are coming in."

I suppose there are many. Interesting if this correlates to a dominant personality feature.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
07-10-2012, 01:54 AM
(07-10-2012 12:25 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...feelings outweigh logic and reason like most of us here...

WHAT! HOW DARE YOU? I've never felt so offended... I feel you should apologise immediately.

No. Wait. Hang on.

I think I got that wrong.

07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
(07-10-2012 12:40 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Interesting if this correlates to a dominant personality feature.

After giving this some more thought it is more complex. Certainly, LadyJane there must be some circumstances where you would be more likely to "think" than "feel", and though I may often not state that that I am arriving a my conclusion because I am thinking, there are such circumstances.

I have a feeling that if you and I were debating something, lets say the identification of a bird in a park and I said "I think that looks like it is a chicken hawk" what would your response be if you disagreed? I suspect it would be something like "I think you are wrong" or "I think it is an eagle", but would you say "I feel it is an eagle"? If you are like most people you wouldn't, although it isn't an incorrect statement, it just makes your argument look weaker. If I think it is A but you feel it is B then most folks would go with the thinker without any additional evidence.

As for me, I reckon that I use "I think" when I am speaking about something that I am not sure of, or when I am speaking from opinion rather than fact, especially when we are talking about something that is unverifiable. "I think I may have offended her" or "I think that there is intelligent life outside of our galaxy."

Just some things to consider. I would also suspect that your environment has a lot to do with your choice of word too.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
(07-10-2012 10:12 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  .... "I think I may have offended her" or "I think that there is intelligent life outside of our galaxy."

Interesting.

I think/feel I would have gone for "I feel I may have offended her" as this statement relates to emotion: the feeling (not thought) of being offended.

07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
(07-10-2012 10:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 10:12 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  .... "I think I may have offended her" or "I think that there is intelligent life outside of our galaxy."

Interesting.

I think/feel I would have gone for "I feel I may have offended her" as this statement relates to emotion: the feeling (not thought) of being offended.

As I have stated, am an not an emotional person, and can seem cold and distant. I am not a very good empathizer. I can empathize, but it doesn't come natural to me. Perhaps I am a psychopath? I don't know.

07-10-2012, 01:05 PM
(06-10-2012 10:47 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 06:43 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Gotta say I agree there.

Now my question is, can religion influence the Thinking and Feeling of the test DarkLight posted? I guess I'd have to go back a few posts and see who identified as an INFJ (I know there's one, at least). I'd like to compare notes. Or feelings, in this case.

EDIT: LadyJane! You've been spotted. Big Grin

So, we are introverted feelers.

This is not new news to me, this does ring true to my personality.

I do think personality type would correlate to atheism/theism. I am actually surprised I am not brainwashed into religion. I guess my saving grace would be that I don't blindly follow my feelings. The introverted part would maybe contribute to analyzing the shit out of the feelings instead of just blindly projecting it, spreading whatever the feeling of the day is.

But yes, I process a lot of what I think based on my feeling.

I've studied an interesting paper on feelings and how they guide our thinking process. Part of the study followed some surgeons and how they made their decisions during surgeries. Even with strategy and protocol, the final decisions were based largely on a feeling of positive or negative for which way they should head in their decision making process. I found this super interesting, because this is largely how I preform. I suppose this is a type of 'intuition', which was part of this personality descriptor in this test. Also, as an aside, in person I often say "I feel" rather than "I think" when giving my idea or opinion (most people as far as I can tell say "I think", which is what I usually use when typing.)

I find atheists are very strategical in how they process information. Much like a scientist, which many here are- maybe more than other forums that are religious?

One of the biggest components to brainwashing is emotion. It is also the huge leverage for advertisement. Those of us who have been able to navigate our lives by relying on a broader thought process have recognized this and more or less escape these manipulations, which would explain the heavy side of this particular personality on this forum. Also, the world's atheism ratio is growing by the day, so maybe that is why these dated stats for the test are way off, the stats are just changing that much. Just a guess.

CTS, what are your thoughts and feelings? Wink

Lets just say Atheism fell into my lap (DLJ, were you snickering?) and it was only half-hazard that it came to be. I bet if I wasn't so challenging to authority, I probably would still be in there. The guiding force in it was pain. The cult maxed my guilt, and made me paranoid at an early age. The feeling part made me realize I had to get the hell out of there. It was necessary for survival, if I didn't want a heart attack at an early age.

The feeling part of me served as an ally, and I still trust it.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
(07-10-2012 11:57 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  As I have stated, am an not an emotional person, and can seem cold and distant. I am not a very good empathizer. I can empathize, but it doesn't come natural to me. Perhaps I am a psychopath? I don't know.

You might wanna consider sociopath before committing to full-blown psychopath. ... Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
(07-10-2012 10:12 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 12:40 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Interesting if this correlates to a dominant personality feature.

After giving this some more thought it is more complex. Certainly, LadyJane there must be some circumstances where you would be more likely to "think" than "feel", and though I may often not state that that I am arriving a my conclusion because I am thinking, there are such circumstances.

I have a feeling that if you and I were debating something, lets say the identification of a bird in a park and I said "I think that looks like it is a chicken hawk" what would your response be if you disagreed? I suspect it would be something like "I think you are wrong" or "I think it is an eagle", but would you say "I feel it is an eagle"? If you are like most people you wouldn't, although it isn't an incorrect statement, it just makes your argument look weaker. If I think it is A but you feel it is B then most folks would go with the thinker without any additional evidence.

As for me, I reckon that I use "I think" when I am speaking about something that I am not sure of, or when I am speaking from opinion rather than fact, especially when we are talking about something that is unverifiable. "I think I may have offended her" or "I think that there is intelligent life outside of our galaxy."

Just some things to consider. I would also suspect that your environment has a lot to do with your choice of word too.

So you have a feeling if you and I were debating something... ? Wink

I don't know if most people would pick up on that or not... if they would value my opinion or view on what bird it is any less or weaker because I say 'feel'. That's a good question.

It may be wrong to assume that "I think" is smarter or of stronger value than "I feel", even though it appears "I think" is a strategic and thorough way to come to a conclusion. Feelings are, in fact, very smart. Feelings are what have helped us to evolve into intelligent beings. They are a huge perceiver in how we navigate our decisions and thoughts.

I'll elaborate on my example earlier with the surgeons. The surgeons that were studied had moments while preforming their surgical tasks where they had two or more options with possible outcomes. Sometimes the outcomes had more chance of success one way and less another way for the patients. Sometimes the surgeon would choose the lesser way based on a feeling even though on a 'book smarts' level would suggest a different option. This shows how we use our feelings also to navigate and draw conclusions.

Feeling, nor thinking or any other method, are good on their own, I believe. Balance is key. Perhaps that's why a believers brain is so manipulated based on feelings, because it's feelings alone and no other skill is applied. Critical thinking puts the why into the feeling. Why did the surgeon choose to go against the typical procedure? Perhaps they didn't know at the time because of the high pressure situation or time constraint or whatever, but looking back maybe it was a funny smell or colour that gave them the 'no' feeling to the seemingly logical answer. They could have looked at this fact in a thinking matter, but instead at the time they processed this through a feeling, perhaps saving on the time constraint (maybe feelings happen quicker than a thought process). Super interesting, hey?

_____
I am not sure if you're a psychopath, I don't know you in real life and I'm not a doctor to diagnose, but the fact you are aware of your empathy level hints that you may not be. Psychopaths are good at mimicking empathy but never actually really feel empathy or understand it. Maybe a sociopath? I think there are a few on the forum.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psychop..._Sociopath

Your violence level and relationships would be a good indicator.