Are other atheists of one book?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2016, 05:39 PM
RE: Are other atheists of one book?
(09-06-2016 05:31 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:27 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Is religion or evil necessary? I'd say that it is.

And you would be wrong, a fact surprising to no one of note.

Why would I be wrong when it is obvious that suffering helps us learn?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2016, 05:42 PM
(09-06-2016 05:39 PM)carusmm Wrote:  suffering helps us learn

That's what she told me last night. Man, it was a wild night. Cool

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
09-06-2016, 05:47 PM
(09-06-2016 05:39 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:31 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  And you would be wrong, a fact surprising to no one of note.

You don't really understand what the word "necessary" means do you?Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
09-06-2016, 05:51 PM
(09-06-2016 05:47 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:39 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Why would I be wrong when it is obvious that suffering helps us learn?

You don't really understand what the word "necessary" means do you?Drinking Beverage

You really didn't answer my question, did you?
09-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Suffering is not necessary to help us learn! All suffering teaches us is how to deal with suffering. It's religion's bogus explanation for why their Gawd "allows" terrible things to happen. We have a much simpler answer: God is not there.

Want to develop strength of character? Work as a member of a team of disparate ideas, trying to overcome a difficult task. Fail a few times and rebuild your dreams.

I'd be really curious to know what you think we can learn from suffering, other than how to cope with suffering, that cannot be learned through other, better means.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
09-06-2016, 06:04 PM
(09-06-2016 05:39 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Why would I be wrong when it is obvious that suffering helps us learn?

What exactly does one suffering from terminal pancreatic cancer with weeks to live learn from their suffering? Not obvious to me.

Wait, are you trippin'?

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-06-2016, 06:04 PM
(09-06-2016 05:51 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:47 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  You don't really understand what the word "necessary" means do you?Drinking Beverage

You really didn't answer my question, did you?

I actually really really did, but here I'll hold your hand and walk you through it.

You claimed that "evil" is necessary.
I pointed out you are wrong.
You responded by pointing out that suffering helps us learn.

So for starters "evil" and "suffering" are not the same thing nor are they interchangeable; childbirth causes a great deal of suffering and pain but it's not evil for example.
Secondly suffering is not necessary to learn something, in fact in most cases it's detrimental; for example it's not necessary that we punch a baby in the throat to teach it not to do something. That would be an action that is both evil and causes suffering that is most definitely not necessary or educational.

So yes my question actually did answer yours: by pointing out your statement was both stupid and a shifting of the goal posts. I apologize for not making it painfully obvious. Oh and still wrong.

[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
09-06-2016, 06:15 PM
(09-06-2016 06:04 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:51 PM)carusmm Wrote:  You really didn't answer my question, did you?

I actually really really did, but here I'll hold your hand and walk you through it.

So for starters "evil" and "suffering" are not the same thing nor are they interchangeable; childbirth causes a great deal of suffering and pain but it's not evil for example.
Secondly suffering is not necessary to learn something, in fact in most cases it's detrimental; for example it's not necessary that we punch a baby in the throat to teach it not to do something. That would be an action that is both evil and causes suffering that is most definitely not necessary or educational.

So yes my question actually did answer yours: by pointing out your statement was both stupid and a shifting of the goal posts. I apologize for not making it painfully obvious. Oh and still wrong.

If you don't consider suffering evil, then you are a very strange person.
09-06-2016, 06:23 PM
(09-06-2016 05:39 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:31 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  And you would be wrong, a fact surprising to no one of note.

Reading books help us learn too.

Here's a couple books. Big Grin

[Image: 41LMUsSTaNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

[Image: 220px-AUFN_LawrenceKrauss.jpeg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-06-2016, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 06:45 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(09-06-2016 06:15 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 06:04 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I actually really really did, but here I'll hold your hand and walk you through it.

If you don't consider suffering evil, then you are a very strange person.
I quite literally just gave you and example of a case where it's not in the very post you just quoted, so don't be a lil' shit. For fuck sake when I stub my toe I suffer, does that make stubbing my toe evil, or just my toes? Was the coffee table evil? Where in that suffering doth evil roost? Me thinks betwixt thy ears. Rolleyes

Also you still haven't explained why it's necessary so you're still wrong.

[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post