Are other atheists of one book?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2016, 06:26 PM
RE: Are other atheists of one book?
(09-06-2016 06:15 PM)carusmm Wrote:  If you don't consider suffering evil, then you are a very strange person.

If you don't understand that suffering is neither good nor evil then you are a very strange person.

Oh and I dug this up just for you.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Deepity doo dah.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
09-06-2016, 06:41 PM
(09-06-2016 05:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Suffering is not necessary to help us learn! All suffering teaches us is how to deal with suffering. It's religion's bogus explanation for why their Gawd "allows" terrible things to happen. We have a much simpler answer: God is not there.

Want to develop strength of character? Work as a member of a team of disparate ideas, trying to overcome a difficult task. Fail a few times and rebuild your dreams.

I'd be really curious to know what you think we can learn from suffering, other than how to cope with suffering, that cannot be learned through other, better means.

Well, we learn humour through suffering. Also, we suffer with every failure in our lives. And, indeed, God is unnecessary to some.
09-06-2016, 06:43 PM
I don't find suffering very humorous. I don't think babies that have malaria or are starving to death find it very funny either.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
09-06-2016, 06:44 PM
(09-06-2016 06:41 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Suffering is not necessary to help us learn! All suffering teaches us is how to deal with suffering. It's religion's bogus explanation for why their Gawd "allows" terrible things to happen. We have a much simpler answer: God is not there.

Want to develop strength of character? Work as a member of a team of disparate ideas, trying to overcome a difficult task. Fail a few times and rebuild your dreams.

I'd be really curious to know what you think we can learn from suffering, other than how to cope with suffering, that cannot be learned through other, better means.

Well, we learn humour through suffering. Also, we suffer with every failure in our lives. And, indeed, God is unnecessary to some.

You don't read very well, do you?

As near as I can tell, 75% of theist arguments consist of, "I'm not capable of understanding complexity or nuance, therefore God".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
09-06-2016, 06:45 PM
(09-06-2016 06:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 05:39 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Why would I be wrong when it is obvious that suffering helps us learn?

What exactly does one suffering from terminal pancreatic cancer with weeks to live learn from their suffering? Not obvious to me.

Wait, are you trippin'?

I am not Mother "Bleating" Teresa, who was a very strange person in that she believed suffering was good for us as it brought us closer to God.
09-06-2016, 06:47 PM
(09-06-2016 06:41 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Well, we learn humour through suffering.

Jesus fucking Christ what kind of knock knock jokes does your family tell?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 8 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
09-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Not I... but those other atheists, yes they're of one book.

Nailed it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-06-2016, 06:48 PM
(09-06-2016 06:45 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 06:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What exactly does one suffering from terminal pancreatic cancer with weeks to live learn from their suffering? Not obvious to me.

Wait, are you trippin'?

I am not Mother "Bleating" Teresa, who was a very strange person in that she believed suffering was good for us as it brought us closer to God.

Wanna take a stab at actually addressing his question if you can see over that giant strawman you just erected?Drinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
09-06-2016, 06:53 PM
(09-06-2016 06:25 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 06:15 PM)carusmm Wrote:  If you don't consider suffering evil, then you are a very strange person.
I quite literally just gave you and example of a case where it's not in the very post you just quoted, so don't be a lil' shit. For fuck sake when I stub my toe I suffer, does that make stubbing my toe evil, or just my toes? Was the coffee table evil? Where in that suffering doth evil roost? Me thinks betwixt thy ears. Rolleyes

Also you still haven't explained why it's necessary so you're still wrong.

If you stub your toe, you feel the pain and no-one else. Like all things, evil is subjective.