Are people who cannot see that morality is subjective idiots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2012, 03:38 AM
RE: Are people who cannot see that morality is subjective idiots?
In a sense, there might be something objective to morality. There are certain principles based on which human society works. If these principles are not followed, we get all sorts of social problems, crime, apathy, atomization of the society. Even if morality is subjective, the structure of human society could be called objective.

To uphold these principles of society might be called moral, except what if the society is naturally "dying"? Then the moral thing to do would be the same, except to build a new society.
I'll have to translate the thing, it has 10 pages but it's worth it. Perhaps in February, when the exams are over.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post
25-12-2012, 04:42 AM
I think it's very possible that there are both subjective and objective morals.
For example; killing someone for the fun of it is basically a Universally known morally wrong thing to do. I would call that objective morality. Whereas something like dancing for the fun of it is probably ok to do in most places but in some cultures, they may consider that an evil thing to do.

I do believe some morals are Objective because I don't believe that those particular morals will ever change anywhere.

In the definition of Objective it states: "not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion."

So based on fact, it is most likely a fact that killing people for the fun of it is harmful or "wrong" to human growth or flourishing.
So based on that, we can probably safely assume that doing such a thing is Objectively wrong and someones opinion on the matter really doesn't change it one way or the other.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
25-12-2012, 05:51 PM
(25-12-2012 04:42 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  In the definition of Objective it states: "not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion."
I would rather say that we all have very similar personal feelings about killing for fun (except for example people watching gladiators). This is like we all think touching hot pan is bad and eating food is good. That s not because this some kind of objective fact about Universe, but because we re all humans and therefore have very similar feelings.
Personal feeling are made by evolution and are far from arbitrary.

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
[+] 1 user Likes Troll's post
25-12-2012, 05:57 PM
So, who likes cheese?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
25-12-2012, 06:39 PM
What kind?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-12-2012, 06:43 PM
(25-12-2012 06:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What kind?
I'm vanilla. I like marble cheese. Though blue cheese I really do like, which is definitely more of a blueberry than a vanilla.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
25-12-2012, 06:45 PM
(25-12-2012 06:43 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(25-12-2012 06:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What kind?
I'm vanilla. I like marble cheese. Though blue cheese I really do like, which is definitely more of a blueberry than a vanilla.

Vanilla smells good. I like blue cheese dressing but not so much just as straight blue cheese. Got any Gouda or Havarti?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-12-2012, 06:47 PM
(25-12-2012 05:57 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So, who likes cheese?

I do.
Count the number of people who like eating cheese (good but not necessary for survival) and than compare the number with the amount of people who like eating stones (bad for survival) and amount of people who like drinking water (nearly necessary for survival).

Trolls are holy race. Eduard Khil is our god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PBptSDIh8
[+] 2 users Like Troll's post
25-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Re: Are people who cannot see that morality is subjective idiots?
Not necessarily

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
25-12-2012, 07:24 PM
I just ate some bree. Yum.