Are people who cannot see that morality is subjective idiots?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2012, 04:59 PM
RE: Are people who cannot see that morality is subjective idiots?
(28-12-2012 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-12-2012 07:37 AM)namiloveyou Wrote:  Prove that social norms exist.

Try walking down the street naked. Drinking Beverage

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
29-12-2012, 02:11 PM
That said, subjective morals makes me conflicted.

Whilst there is no firm evidence of an absolute moral code, the fact that some actions can be condoned in the paradigm irks me a bit. I think for some, moral subjectivism is not just an honest appraisal of the nature of morality, but just a respectable crux for sociopathy. Really, sociopathy can only be seen as wrong since it undermines social living, not that they do "evil" acts.

It may not seem logical, but humans aren't strictly rational. I think to some degree, morals are linked with humanity. Take that Delhi rape thing. We can only ever speak for ourselves obviously, but I cannot help but feel for the dead woman. Even still, there is no proven absolute morals.

I sound contradictory, so what, consistency is maladjustment.
01-01-2013, 07:08 AM
(29-12-2012 02:11 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  That said, subjective morals makes me conflicted.

Why?

(29-12-2012 02:11 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  Whilst there is no firm evidence of an absolute moral code, the fact that some actions can be condoned in the paradigm irks me a bit. I think for some, moral subjectivism is not just an honest appraisal of the nature of morality, but just a respectable crux for sociopathy. Really, sociopathy can only be seen as wrong since it undermines social living, not that they do "evil" acts.

Both sociopathy and psychopathy are diagnosed medical conditions that are demonstrably detrimental to the survival of our species. Morality, empathy, and justice (which are not exclusive to human beings) are social appendages.

(29-12-2012 02:11 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  It may not seem logical, but humans aren't strictly rational. I think to some degree, morals are linked with humanity. Take that Delhi rape thing. We can only ever speak for ourselves obviously, but I cannot help but feel for the dead woman. Even still, there is no proven absolute morals.

That is no justification for the total disregard of social norms. So, please, make up your mind. You believe morals are linked with our species, yet you cannot comprehend the biological objectivity of some morals. You seem to believe that psychopathy is an example of the pure subjectivity of morality, whereas I see it as an example of a being with the genetic inability to comprehend morality.

(29-12-2012 02:11 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  I sound contradictory, so what, consistency is maladjustment.

Consistency is required if you do not want to sound like an uneducated babbling fuck.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
01-01-2013, 08:51 AM
(01-01-2013 07:08 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(29-12-2012 02:11 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  That said, subjective morals makes me conflicted.

Why?

(29-12-2012 02:11 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  Whilst there is no firm evidence of an absolute moral code, the fact that some actions can be condoned in the paradigm irks me a bit. I think for some, moral subjectivism is not just an honest appraisal of the nature of morality, but just a respectable crux for sociopathy. Really, sociopathy can only be seen as wrong since it undermines social living, not that they do "evil" acts.

Both sociopathy and psychopathy are diagnosed medical conditions that are demonstrably detrimental to the survival of our species. Morality, empathy, and justice (which are not exclusive to human beings) are social appendages.

(29-12-2012 02:11 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  It may not seem logical, but humans aren't strictly rational. I think to some degree, morals are linked with humanity. Take that Delhi rape thing. We can only ever speak for ourselves obviously, but I cannot help but feel for the dead woman. Even still, there is no proven absolute morals.

That is no justification for the total disregard of social norms. So, please, make up your mind. You believe morals are linked with our species, yet you cannot comprehend the biological objectivity of some morals. You seem to believe that psychopathy is an example of the pure subjectivity of morality, whereas I see it as an example of a being with the genetic inability to comprehend morality.

(29-12-2012 02:11 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  I sound contradictory, so what, consistency is maladjustment.

Consistency is required if you do not want to sound like an uneducated babbling fuck.
My suspicion is that most subjectivists use it as a crux for sociopathy. Subjectivity lends to the acceptance of all moral systems.
01-01-2013, 11:24 AM
(01-01-2013 08:51 AM)namiloveyou Wrote:  My suspicion is that most subjectivists use it as a crux for sociopathy. Subjectivity lends to the acceptance of all moral systems.
And objectivity leads to the acceptance of the worst moral system of them all Wink

Can't we just admit morality is subjective, but not just any system, it's evolving towards a better, more useful moral system?

01-01-2013, 01:25 PM
(01-01-2013 11:24 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 08:51 AM)namiloveyou Wrote:  My suspicion is that most subjectivists use it as a crux for sociopathy. Subjectivity lends to the acceptance of all moral systems.
And objectivity leads to the acceptance of the worst moral system of them all Wink

Can't we just admit morality is subjective, but not just any system, it's evolving towards a better, more useful moral system?
Yeah... so says the computer in human form.

I don't think you understood my initial point, so stick to processing information and having obscure interests.

And why should we admit anything? lol.... who the hell are you to dictate anything?
05-01-2013, 07:37 PM
(01-01-2013 08:51 AM)namiloveyou Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 07:08 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Why?

My suspicion is that most subjectivists use it as a crux for sociopathy. Subjectivity lends to the acceptance of all moral systems.
And no one denies your "suspicion". Your ludicrous idea that all moral systems should be accepted, however, not so much. What is more beneficial to the species is, ultimately, social norms. If one's morality conflicts with social norms, one must either persuade the rest of the species to think otherwise, or shut the fuck up and conform to the norms or kill themselves.

Poonjab
05-01-2013, 08:06 PM
(01-01-2013 08:51 AM)namiloveyou Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 07:08 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Why?

Smartass

I'd like to think that the majority of atheists generally hold that objective reality exists, and human beings when they come together formed cooperative solutions for their continued survival.

While from this we have used many different ethical theories, Utilitarianism, Deontological ethics, and Consequentialism. We do realize that not everything or anything goes.

Personally I've been trying to put on paper what I use for my own ethics, which basically draws what I think are the great parts of all those theories into one. With the basic idea that you can feed the majority of ethical dilemmas through it and come to the best answer. While leaving it open enough to incorporate psychology, and science.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
06-01-2013, 08:51 PM
(05-01-2013 07:37 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
And no one denies your "suspicion". Your ludicrous idea that all moral systems should be accepted, however, not so much. What is more beneficial to the species is, ultimately, social norms. If one's morality conflicts with social norms, one must either persuade the rest of the species to think otherwise, or shut the fuck up and conform to the norms or kill themselves.
Yes, and?

All moral systems are of equal value.
07-01-2013, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2013 01:05 PM by Logica Humano.)
(06-01-2013 08:51 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 07:37 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  And no one denies your "suspicion". Your ludicrous idea that all moral systems should be accepted, however, not so much. What is more beneficial to the species is, ultimately, social norms. If one's morality conflicts with social norms, one must either persuade the rest of the species to think otherwise, or shut the fuck up and conform to the norms or kill themselves.
Yes, and?

All moral systems are of equal value.
Moral systems are all of equal value like your appendix is of equal value to your heart. There are broken moral systems that are outdated, then there are more progressive ones that benefit society. No, they are not all equal.

Your disregard of sociological principles and lack of knowledge displays a saddening lack of education, and that you are a horrible troll. If you want to troll, please at least educate yourself to make it more entertaining. Your brand is tedious, monotonousness, and outright boring. The only reason I bother replying is because it is so incredibly easy to destroy your dumbass world view.

Poonjab

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Moral Relativism Vs. Absolute Morality, and Does morality evolve? godofskeptic 48 7,671 13-08-2014 01:48 PM
Last Post: phil.a
  Perfection and Morality Mr. Slave 25 460 03-08-2014 12:22 PM
Last Post: Airportkid
  I absolutely hate idiots like conspiracy theorist, but is my hate too much? TheLogicalAthiest 10 366 29-03-2014 03:52 PM
Last Post: UndercoverAtheist
  Governance excluding morality Stevil 10 330 11-02-2014 11:53 PM
Last Post: Stevil
  Morality - seeking consistency via qualifying criteria Stevil 23 675 03-02-2014 12:15 PM
  My views on Morality Krabman 38 955 23-01-2014 10:04 PM
Last Post: Vosur
  Morality on a desert island natachan 24 771 29-12-2013 04:10 PM