Poll: Do you think scientologists should be considered atheists? ( please read my definition of atheism first! )
yes
no
i´m not sure
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Are scientologists actually Atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-09-2010, 02:48 AM

RE: Are scientologists actually Atheists?
I see scientology as a cult, and I really couldn't care less about whether we consider them atheists or not. Its 'believers' have been duped into swallowing the bizarre notions of its founder, L. Ron Hubbard, and are being scammed. I'm never prepared for the gullibility of some human beings, who become cult members and are apparently overjoyed to used for the gain of the cult leader(s). Of course, some cult leaders eventually convince the cult to give them god-status (e.g., David Koresh).
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2010, 03:16 AM

Calling in Scientology cult? Gosh, that's just what really winds them up! They seem documentaries about them if the one thing that makes and jump up and down and push the cameras away.

Nonetheless, I wholeheartedly agree with you -- they are being duped and being duped the money as well. Hubbard was supposedly quoted as saying that the way to get really rich was to start a religion. This denied by the Church of Scientology, of course, but it somehow has the ring of truth. the way the church acts in such that it appears to want control over the people who paid money to ensure that they continue to pay money but is never quite clear who actually gets the benefits of this in the end although there accounts show them to be a very wealthy organisation.

So, I answer the question originally posed that they are atheists, but I quite concede that this is really quite an irrelevant question as it's not really a religion in the first place.
09-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Has anyone seen the Tom Cruise video on Scientology? Tom's not really known for his comedy's but this was simply hilarious.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2010, 05:51 PM

(09-09-2010 06:11 AM)BnW Wrote:  Has anyone seen the Tom Cruise video on Scientology? Tom's not really known for his comedy's but this was simply hilarious.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't kidding.
10-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Scientologists have an organized belief system, as do Buddists, which is identical or at least very similar to organized religions. I find it hard to consider them atheists because of this. Scientologists have a belief that everone has an alien theton (did I spell that right?) inhabiting his or her body and the goal is to free your inner theton from the repression of earthly life. The process of freeing your inner theton can be years of therapy-like sessions at $1,000 per hour, and these sessions will go on for many years. (Does anybody remember that the Catholic Church used to sell deeds to heaven?) Some therapies have costed around $500,000. Sounds like a religion to me.
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2010, 11:53 PM

(10-09-2010 05:51 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  
(09-09-2010 06:11 AM)BnW Wrote:  Has anyone seen the Tom Cruise video on Scientology? Tom's not really known for his comedy's but this was simply hilarious.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't kidding.

Whether Tom OR BnW were kidding is besides the point. The video is hilarious. Tom jumping up and down on a couch on Oprah....Big Grin
11-09-2010, 06:27 AM
(10-09-2010 11:17 PM)No J. Wrote:  Scientologists have an organized belief system, as do Buddists, which is identical or at least very similar to organized religions. I find it hard to consider them atheists because of this. Scientologists have a belief that everone has an alien theton (did I spell that right?) inhabiting his or her body and the goal is to free your inner theton from the repression of earthly life. The process of freeing your inner theton can be years of therapy-like sessions at $1,000 per hour, and these sessions will go on for many years. (Does anybody remember that the Catholic Church used to sell deeds to heaven?) Some therapies have costed around $500,000. Sounds like a religion to me.

Yes, a religion....cult, if you ask me. But still an atheistic one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2010, 06:54 AM

(11-09-2010 06:27 AM)sosa Wrote:  Yes, a religion....cult, if you ask me. But still an atheistic one.

Dictionary.com:

cult [kuhlt] –noun

1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies. Catholicism anyone?

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult. I think that the "physical fitness cult" fits that description as well as anyone that worships anything. Even wooden plus signs with imaginary people stapled to them. We'll call them "Christians".

3. the object of such devotion.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc. See #2

5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols. Well, all religions fall in this category. Really, they fall into all of the others that I highlighted as well. Christianity happens to be easiest for me to pick on because it surrounds my life daily.

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

7. the members of such a religion or sect.

8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

By definition, all religions, whether they are theistic or atheistic are cults. Including Buddhism, Shintoism, Scientology and the worship of Joe Pesci (Thank you George Carlin for that one).

And as an Atheist, I claim #6 to be true of all religions, but I am sure that the faithful would disagree.
11-09-2010, 09:25 AM

That's what I don't understand. There was all that outrage about Newt Gingrich or some other idiot calling Islam a cult. Of course, they were denounced. But, of course it is a cult! Every religion is a cult. It is just because of all the really wacko cults that have popped up in the last century that the term has such a negative connotation. By definition, if you are part of a religion you are a member of a cult.

But, that would mean the majority of society is part of a cult. That won't blow over well with the majority.
11-09-2010, 03:26 PM

(11-09-2010 09:25 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  That's what I don't understand. There was all that outrage about Newt Gingrich or some other idiot calling Islam a cult. Of course, they were denounced. But, of course it is a cult! Every religion is a cult. It is just because of all the really wacko cults that have popped up in the last century that the term has such a negative connotation. By definition, if you are part of a religion you are a member of a cult.

But, that would mean the majority of society is part of a cult. That won't blow over well with the majority.

Well, people associate cults with fringe groups and fundamentalists. No one wants to admit that the Kool-Aid could be served in their church too.