Poll: Should wearing seatbelts be a law?
Yes
No
Indifferent
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Are seatbelt laws unconstitutional?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 05:30 PM
RE: Are seatbelt laws unconstitutional?
When the law was introduced some time in 20th century, the deaths caused by car accidents started to decline. People think the seatbelts helped. Well, there are other possible causes, like the people got better at driving, got more familiar with cars, cars got safer (a collapsible engine chamber? Better tires?). My Libertarian economy professor presented this argument last year.
Also, I never wore a bike helmet in my life. I needed it just once, so far. I made a Libertarian choice, got my scalp sown back and keep going.

That being said, it is better to wear the seatbelt than to break your spine when the airbag explodes right into your face Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 06:20 PM
(05-04-2013 02:18 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  So are smart people protecting stupid people?

I'd like to say people with common sense are protecting the ignorant. Thumbsup

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
[+] 1 user Likes Misenhelter's post
05-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Seatbelt laws do not only protect the individual wearing the seatbelt. If I'm driving in a car with a bunch of people and some asshole in the back seat isn't wearing his seatbelt; if we get into an accident at, say, 70 MPH, that person becomes a 200lb. bullet inside that car. As we flip and tumble and roll down a hill, that person's 200lb. body is slamming into all of us; bludgeoning us to death with his mass of stupidity.

Yeah, I'm all for seatbelt laws. Buckle your fucking seatblet. I'm not in the mood to be bludgeoned by your fat ass. Drinking Beverage

Having said that, the Constitution is not a deity. I'm tired of people treating it as such.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
04-05-2013, 12:50 PM
With respect to the constitutionality of state seat belt laws, the topic of your post, you need to take a look at the 10th Amendment: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

There is no right to drive granted by the Constitution. Driving is a privilege regulated by the state, not a right granted under the U.S. Constitution. Seat belt laws are a perfectly legitimate use of state regulatory powers granted under the Constitution.

You do not prove any support for the rest of your arguments and they are easily disposed of.

Setting aside the public burden of spiraling health costs and public policy of preventing unnecessary, there is one major benefit of seat belts that receives little publc attention: seat belts PREVENT accidents.

You've see seatbelts and harnesses in jet fighters and tractors. A seat belt isn't going to protect an F-15 pilot in the case of a crash, so what purpose does it serve? To keep the operator in his/her seat and in control in emergency situations.

What is your first reaction when you come to an unexpected stop? You put your arm out to prevent your soda and other junk from flying forward. In emergency manuevering situations, a seat belt can keep you planted in your seat and in control of the vehicle instead of slide around the passenger compartment. That reason alone is enough to justify seat belt laws.

Seat belt laws are a minor instrusion into a privilege (not a right) granted by the state.
04-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Who decides that driving is a privledge? And not a right to excercie freedom? If I decide I am going to drive my 4 runner out in butt fuck nowhere, I sure as hell going to do it, helmet or no helmet. They use fancy words to degrade the actual reason for "making people wear hemets as a law, and will get a ticket if you don't wear one".

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
(04-05-2013 05:19 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  Who decides that driving is a privledge? And not a right to excercie freedom? If I decide I am going to drive my 4 runner out in butt fuck nowhere, I sure as hell going to do it, helmet or no helmet. They use fancy words to degrade the actual reason for "making people wear hemets as a law, and will get a ticket if you don't wear one".

Well it depends on where buttfuck nowhere is. If it's private property and you have permission of the owner then you can do as you please. Traffic laws also do not apply to private property thats why you can drive whatever speed you want at a racetrack. If however your on public land then you can still be ticketed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
04-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Consider
Possible compromise?

Seat-belt laws applicable to all under 18 years.

If you are older than that, you will have knowledge of the risks and so can have the freedom to choose to be a dumbfuck and accept the consequences of endangering yourself and those around you.

Darwin Award will be sent to you posthumously.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-05-2013, 06:52 PM
(04-05-2013 06:17 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider
Possible compromise?

Seat-belt laws applicable to all under 18 years.

If you are older than that, you will have knowledge of the risks and so can have the freedom to choose to be a dumbfuck and accept the consequences of endangering yourself and those around you.

Darwin Award will be sent to you posthumously.

Thumbsup

To my understanding, that's the case here in VA. Anyone under 18 is required to wear a seatbelt. Anyone over 18 is not required to - unless they are seated in the front of the vehicle.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2013, 08:01 PM
(05-04-2013 11:56 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Seatbelt laws do not only protect the individual wearing the seatbelt. If I'm driving in a car with a bunch of people and some asshole in the back seat isn't wearing his seatbelt; if we get into an accident at, say, 70 MPH, that person becomes a 200lb. bullet inside that car. As we flip and tumble and roll down a hill, that person's 200lb. body is slamming into all of us; bludgeoning us to death with his mass of stupidity.

Yeah, I'm all for seatbelt laws. Buckle your fucking seatblet. I'm not in the mood to be bludgeoned by your fat ass. Drinking Beverage

Having said that, the Constitution is not a deity. I'm tired of people treating it as such.

Are you calling me fat? Blink

Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
05-05-2013, 12:00 AM
I've been outdone!

I posed this question to my friend. The conversation went as such

(Me) Do you think it should be a law?

(him) Yes