Poll: Should wearing seatbelts be a law?
Yes
No
Indifferent
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Are seatbelt laws unconstitutional?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2013, 12:39 AM
RE: Are seatbelt laws unconstitutional?
(04-05-2013 08:01 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 11:56 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Seatbelt laws do not only protect the individual wearing the seatbelt. If I'm driving in a car with a bunch of people and some asshole in the back seat isn't wearing his seatbelt; if we get into an accident at, say, 70 MPH, that person becomes a 200lb. bullet inside that car. As we flip and tumble and roll down a hill, that person's 200lb. body is slamming into all of us; bludgeoning us to death with his mass of stupidity.

Yeah, I'm all for seatbelt laws. Buckle your fucking seatblet. I'm not in the mood to be bludgeoned by your fat ass. Drinking Beverage

Having said that, the Constitution is not a deity. I'm tired of people treating it as such.

Are you calling me fat? Blink

Big Grin

You know I love ya, Cheap. Big Grin I'd never do such a thing.

However, if you ended up bludgeoning me with your body*; I must admit my loyalties would be challenged to some degree. Drinking Beverage

*Thinks about making a sexual joke.....Refrains. Tongue

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
05-05-2013, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 01:20 AM by Peanut.)
(05-04-2013 01:42 PM)CaffinatedPuppy Wrote:  I feel partial to this. Are seatbelt/helmet laws invading our freedom of choice? Laws are set out to protect others, but what about yourself? Some people feel they should have the choice to wear seatbelts/helmets, while others feel it should be a law to potect them. But isn't that breaking American freedom rules?Blink

I don't think that the fines should be so high for simply being pulled over for not wearing a seat belt. I ALWAYS wear my seat belt and I encourage everyone to wear theirs. Okay. I don't "ALWAYS" wear mine. On the way home from the gas station tonight, I decided to be a rebel and not wear it for the two minute ride home. It felt GOOOOD! No. I'm putting up a front: I was too preoccupied the entire way home, wondering if some giant truck would come outta nowhere and ram into the back of our vehicle. I'd fly through the windshield and... you get the picture.

I mean, why NOT wear it?! Anyway, they are there to help protect us in a crash. A major way to encourage citizens to follow something is by having undesired consequences if they were to stray. Again, I don't think the fines should be THAT expensive. I hear it's excessive:

Passengers 8-15 to buckle up in all seating positions

Drivers and front seat passengers to be buckled up

Michigan's child passenger safety law requires:

Children younger than age 4 to ride in a car seat in the rear seat if the vehicle has a rear seat. If all available rear seats are occupied by children under 4, then a child under 4 may ride in a car seat in the front seat. A child in a rear-facing car seat may only ride in the front seat if the airbag is turned off.

Children to be properly buckled in a car seat or booster seat until they are 8 years old or 4-feet-9-inches tall. Children must ride in a seat until they reach the age requirement or the height requirement, whichever comes first.

It's $65 if paid within 21 days, and then it jumps to $105 after 21 days...
*I Would like to comment that I am glad they specified age for booster seat requirements. I'm only 5 feet tall. Dodgy

If we all took just a SECOND to click our seat belts in place, we wouldn't need to argue about it.

(05-04-2013 11:56 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Yeah, I'm all for seatbelt laws. Buckle your fucking seatblet. I'm not in the mood to be bludgeoned by your fat ass. Drinking Beverage
I imagined you sitting in the driver's seat while your friend continues to refuse to put on their silly seat belt.

"Seriously. I'm not going ANYWHERE until you buckle up. We will sit here until you buckle up. If everyone else gets mad that they are gonna be late, then they know who to blame, don't they? Everybody, you can blame [stubborn friend's name] for being punished."

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2013, 01:24 AM
lol. Nah. I'd chew them out, but I'd drive anyway. If we die; we die. I won't be alive to care about it anymore.

Besides, I don't wear my seatbelt when I'm in the back seat, either. I exempt myself from my own rule. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
05-05-2013, 01:41 AM
I don't know - I'm pretty indifferent about it.
They do save lives. However, the fines are pretty fucked. Here, anyone in the car can be ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt. Personally, I always wear mine but in low traffic, just the lap belt; I put the other part under my left arm. It's legal - some older cars don't even have shoulder harnesses.

I think reason might simply come down to money. Insurance companies can deny any claim when a seatbelt is either not worn or found to be faulty due to poor maintenance. Insurance companies just don't have enough money... as we all know. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-05-2013, 09:39 AM
They should be freedom of choice.
That way idiots can not wear them and be thrown from their car and be killed off.

If you ever are thinking about wearing a seat belt or not, think of this:
Your face on a cheese grater.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
05-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Driving is not a right. It's a privilege. As such it's subject to regulation.
If you get yourself, by your own stupidity, injured and brain-dead by a a stupid driving act, then I have to pay for your stupid fucking care for the next 50 years, as you will end up on medicaid, on a vent, and in a nursing home. Yes they are legal, for very good reasons. They protect me from your stupidity.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-05-2013, 10:28 AM
(05-05-2013 10:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Driving is not a right. It's a privilege. As such it's subject to regulation.
If you get yourself, by your own stupidity, injured and brain-dead by a a stupid driving act, then I have to pay for your stupid fucking care for the next 50 years, as you will end up on medicaid, on a vent, and in a nursing home. Yes they are legal, for very good reasons. They protect me from your stupidity.

No no, you're not thinking this through BB.
If they die then they are costing you nothing!

And considering you're more likely to die if you don't wear a seat belt...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
05-05-2013, 10:55 AM
(05-05-2013 10:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 10:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Driving is not a right. It's a privilege. As such it's subject to regulation.

No no, you're not thinking this through BB.
If they die then they are costing you nothing!

And considering you're more likely to die if you don't wear a seat belt...

So prove to me more people die, (including that their families DON'T end up on welfare, or any assistance), than are injured.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

05-05-2013, 12:05 PM
More people are injured then die. But what you have to remember is that even if you are wearing a seat belt you're still going to be injured (depending on the crash = how bad).
So it's not injured v dead
It's total cost of dead and injured (people without a seat belt) v total cost of dead and injured (people with a seatbelt).
Considering there's more injured people in respect to dead people in the people with seat belt column, it very well could be more costly.

I dunno what column is more costly, and when have you ever seen me link something from another site to back up what I say?
But considering a lot of countries make seat belts mandatory it's likely that the later column is cheaper (though then you'd have to take into account policing and fining for seat belts).

06-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Seat belts do save the lives of the occupants in a car crash. However, they do not save the lives of non-occupants. In fact, studies indicate that after seat belt legislation is enacted, there is a marked increase in non occupant fatalities as well as the total number of auto accidents.

The reason for this phenomena is simple psychology. When a person's safety is increased, either in fact or by perception, that person will not be as attentive to their task as they would be in the absence of that safety.

I forget who said it but (and I'm paraphrasing), if we are truly concerned with safety, all cars should come equipped with a spike protruding straight out from the steering wheel. Tongue

In the end, there is only one good argument for mandatory seat belt use and that's the possibility that one's body could become a projectile that could, if it leaves the vehicle, cause injury or death to someone outside the vehicle.

But as it stands, seat belt laws don't really decrease the total number of fatalities and seat belt legislation is nothing more than a revenue stream for government and an easy excuse for cops to pull people over and potentially catch them doing something someone else doesn't like.... thus increasing the state's revenue stream.

Quote:Caffeinated Puppy

So are smart people protecting stupid people?

No. Sociopaths are fleecing the flock and telling them it's for their own good.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb