Are some of my concerns legitimate???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 07:54 AM by bemore.)
Are some of my concerns legitimate???
This post may be a long one, so tl: dr I am going to be talking about the rise of Islam here in my country, the UK. I would like to firstly point out that I am not just bashing Islam or Muslims. It just so happens that Islam's influence appears to be rising here more than any other and if it was any other religion, I would have the same concerns.

Over the years of my time here on this forum I have of course read many stories of persecution that happens to atheists in the US, as this forum is mostly made up of Americans. How it is tough to get into the US political system if your not a Christian, through to how people's family lives are ripped apart due to "coming out" as an atheist.

Here in the UK we are mainly an atheist society. It is one of the few remaining things that make me proud to live here, as it is indicative to how without religion, our society hasn't been ripped apart or collapsed and how many people here are still empathic, kind and good citizens who largely look out for one another. We still have a strong moral set for other human beings. I can only imagine what it must be like to be persecuted over your religious beliefs (or lack of) as here (in the UK) if you announce anywhere (groups of people, at a job interview etc) that your an atheist, many people will just say "oh", it would not be an issue at all and it would very rarely influence how people interact with you. I am sure that this is something that many of you would strive to happen in your own country, it is something you can only currently dream of.

I use this example of how recently KFC have decided to trial having halal compliant restaurants and outlets. KFC have stressed that nothing changes in the slaughtering process apart from the prayer/tasmiya/shahada being uttered upon slaughter.

Now to me and I imagine many other non-religious people looking at this practise, it is pretty pointless and stupid to say a prayer when killing an animal. There just words at the end of the day and somebody could say literally anything as it would make no difference or have any impact on it affecting the meat that you buy, cook and eventually eat.

However to do this a certain structure needs to be put into place, behind the scenes. Whilst I cant say for certain, I can only imagine that only muslims would be employed to do this job and task. I doubt that they would allow an atheist or anybody else with an alternative religious belief to do this, as it is kind of hypocritical.

I fully understand that it is only a trial that KFC are doing. If it is successful, does not see a drop in customers or profits, then potentially they could roll this out to other stores and outlets, which in turn would increase the demand for halal slaughtered chicken. Also if it is successful and there is no real negative consequences I imagine other outlets may follow suit like others as Subway has served halal since 2007 and Pizza Express has halal chicken. The four main and largest supermarket chains here (Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons and Tesco) all sell Halal meat and because it is not a dietary requirement, they do not have to label it informing consumers of how it is slaughtered.

So here we have seen major changes, caused by religious beliefs, for what today only equates to 5% of the UK population (Census 2011 giving the UK Muslim population in 2011 as ~2,706,066, ~4.5% of the total population. The vast majority of Muslims in the United Kingdom live in England: 2,660,116 (5.02% of the population).

So my concerns, which I understand may at this moment in time be unjust and potentially fear mongering, look to the future. With a growing demographic of muslims in this country I wonder what else could be done to appease the beliefs of these people. If I have children next year, could my grandchildren or their children potentially begin to see persecution??? Could they potentially be asked to cover up in certain areas or places like restaurants??? Could they one day live in an area and listen to the idiotic sound of adhan/call to prayer, 5 times a day from the growing number of mosques that are popping up everywhere??

Christianity has had to evolve to attempt to survive here, now though,it would appear (to me at least) that step by step, little by little we are devolving... to Islam.

Articles speculating on the number of muslims in the uk in the future...

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/56...on_by_2051

Counter argument of above article....

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/fact...2050/13690

Britain to become first non-Muslim country to launch sharia bond

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsb...-bond.html

Exam timetables to accommodate ramadan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35244444

Muhammed most popular boys name UK 2014

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a25011625/to...names-2014

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
09-01-2016, 07:21 AM
RE: Are some of my concerns legitimate???
This saddens me a great deal. Particularly that a big chain is even attempting this cow-towing to religious nonsense. Sad

The more we integrate religious nonsense into everyday living the more invasive and acceptable it becomes to demand it. Do we want our society run by nonsense? No. No

It is the insidious indoctrination of our societies. It is the beginning of Sharia Law. First there is compromise to generate acceptance, then there is mandatory to comply to regulations and lastly there is law to force compliance. All in the name of some mythical beast. Bah!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
09-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Yes, it is my opinion that some of your concerns are indeed legitimate.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Quote: KFC have stressed that nothing changes in the slaughtering process apart from the prayer/tasmiya/shahada being uttered upon slaughter.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
09-01-2016, 09:27 AM
Someone ... tell Erx. He may need a job. As a former hellbound preacher, he is more than qualified to pre-bless some of ze foods. Maybe not all ze foods right away, but he'd be willing to learn, I'd be willing to bet.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Can you imagine them trying that shit here with the anti-muslim climate the way it is... "Come into KFC for muslim blessed chicken. It's Allah lickin' good!"

Lmao...

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
09-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Growing theism is a legitimate concern, just like growing incidence of any communicable disorder. Having a populace that bases decisions on the desires a psychotic imaginary parent is dangerous. But Halal meat is a red herring (is there a pun there somewhere?) leading away from that real threat. Halal restaurants are no more ominous than kosher or vegan or South Beach ones.

KFC has many really objectionable practices, like supporting beak-trimming animal factories, union-busting, and selling fried chicken that tastes of boiled eggs. Paying some guy to talk to himself pales in comparison.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
09-01-2016, 10:26 AM
As a UK resident I would say that Islam is an issue for discussion. Mainly because there is a rising culture of anti Islamaphobia ( a phrase that grates me but not for this thread) meaning any comment that doesn't praise Islam is immediately deemed racist or oppressive. As a result Islam is a rising religion in the UK but alongside it there is a noticeable increase of Christians 'fighting' to take back 'their' country and therefore both religions are increasing.

I suspect that in a few years if this continues that being an atheist in the UK will have the same troubles as it does in other countries across the globe.
[+] 3 users Like Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
09-01-2016, 10:34 AM
(09-01-2016 09:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Someone ... tell Erx. He may need a job. As a former hellbound preacher, he is more than qualified to pre-bless some of ze foods. Maybe not all ze foods right away, but he'd be willing to learn, I'd be willing to bet.

Catholics also prefer their food blessed. There may be a market out there for food blessings. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Those potential grandchildren could very well be muslim themselves in similar comparison to them being persecuted for not.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post