Are some of my concerns legitimate???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 11:48 AM
RE: Are some of my concerns legitimate???
In Miami there was a protest by the Jewish commodity that there were not enuff Kosher foods available. Plenty at the wholesale level, but in retail grocery stores they were supposed to not even be in the same room as meat which had not been slaughtered correctly, nor with pig meat or duck or any unclean meats, Nor should have ever been stored in the same places etc... I am not up totally on all the requirements, but just heard them in passing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2016, 10:50 PM
I suppose I could be OK with it so long as KFC sold bacon wrapped chicken to us heathens so that we could de-convert our chicken before consumption.
11-01-2016, 12:54 AM
Your concerns are legitimate, but to predict the political future as far ahead as your grandchildren?

I prefer to believe that among the atheist majority are those with the same courage and resolve to defend the enlightenment ideals of religious freedom, freedom of speech and expression and so forth as the religious have to destroy them.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-01-2016, 05:52 AM
Adaptation occurs (consciously or unconsciously) driven by self interest when there is potential profit. Also there is always a cost.

KFC see a potential profit. If it sparks a backlash (which in the UK is more likely to be about cruelty to animals rather than the silliness of magic spells; hence their choice of words in their announcement), they will drop it.

You could start (or join) a campaign to raise awareness about the way animals are bled while alive.

Over here, Evolution is not taught in schools, obviously, because it makes a lie of the Quran. However, I'm telling some mothers I know that a way to give their children an advantage over their peers is to surreptitiously explain the basics of the subject

... enlightened self-interest FTW!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-01-2016, 06:26 AM
(11-01-2016 05:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  However, I'm telling some mothers I know that a way to give their children an advantage over their peers is to surreptitiously explain the basics of the subject

... And those kids will be more successful and thus breed more, thus passing on the trait of teaching their kiddies evolution. Gradually the 'teach your kiddies evolution gene' will dominate the population.

This is what Holy Dawkins teaches us.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-01-2016, 09:04 AM
(09-01-2016 07:21 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  This saddens me a great deal. Particularly that a big chain is even attempting this cow-towing to religious nonsense. Sad

It's not cowtowing to religious nonsense, it's just smart businesses. You have a fast growing untouched segment of the market that tends to abstain from eating at your establishment because the items are not prepared a certain way. If catering to this audience only increases your profit margins, why would you not do so?

McDonalds alters their menus a great deal to cater to their particular demographics all over the world. McDonalds in India doesn't tend to serve beef. Corporations are not about cow-towing to religion, or trying to placate liberal demands, their only concern is whether an action makes smart business sense, and exploiting untapped markets. If I was shareholders I'd be more worried about the company not catering to this market.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
11-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Yes your concerns are legitimate. I too am in the UK and have been all my life and I see Islam spreading before my eyes. Not moderate, westernised, assimilated Islam but conservative/fundamental islam. More and more women are covered from head to foot in black. More mosques popping up all over and I know of a couple of areas where the call to prayer is indeed heard, albeit from a van driving around and not from the mosques. There are now many Pakistani, Afghan and Arab immigrants who no longer both to learn English as it is not needed as they never emerge from there own communities so assimilation to there new homes is no concern of theirs. More and more young children are starting school unable to learn due to knowing no English so the cost of employing extra staff to tackle this is getting expensive.

I grew up in a very mixed area which included all kinds of creeds and colours and religions and for the most part everyone just got on with things. I think it worked as no one group outnumbered any other and no one was trying to convert anybody else. This is not the case with islam. It is on the rise and at its core is proselytizing through conversion and population increase. I’s fundamental adherents make no secret that it is there wish to see it spread throughout Europe and elsewhere. Capitulating to the small demands is just the beginning and it is in the nature of a beast such as islam to keep pushing for more of its agenda.

The habit of the left (and it is the left I’ve noticed who do this) to shout islamophobia at any question or criticism aimed islam’s way and so ultimately close down the conversation with accusations of intolerance and racism is accommodating its spread. Not to mention also accommodating its awful attitudes and behaviour towards women and homosexuals and so forgetting the minorities within this ‘minority’.

I am not a cultural relativist and I am with Hirsi Ali on this one when she said that “all people are equal but all cultures are not.” Islam as a culture is stuck in the dark ages and it has knocked on our door and we have welcomed it in. More fool us!

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 4 users Like Eva's post
11-01-2016, 10:18 AM
(11-01-2016 06:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 05:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  However, I'm telling some mothers I know that a way to give their children an advantage over their peers is to surreptitiously explain the basics of the subject

... And those kids will be more successful and thus breed more, thus passing on the trait of teaching their kiddies evolution. Gradually the 'teach your kiddies evolution gene' will dominate the population.

This is what Holy Dawkins teaches us.

Yup. That's the plan.

But lets just keep this between ourselves, OK?

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Interestingly, plenty of people absolutely lost their shit about a hundred years ago when large Jewish populations started moving into cities like New York or Montreal. And today it's Judeo-Christian team-ups against the new "other". So it goes.

I think legal accomodations and exemptions can be tremendously problematic - even though that's not really even a thing, and when it is, it's almost always latent Christian bias. Pathetic regardless.

I think a corporation making a token effort to voluntarily cater to a market segment is rather less of a problem.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
11-01-2016, 10:57 AM
(11-01-2016 09:40 AM)Eva Wrote:  Yes your concerns are legitimate. I too am in the UK and have been all my life and I see Islam spreading before my eyes. Not moderate, westernised, assimilated Islam but conservative/fundamental islam. More and more women are covered from head to foot in black. More mosques popping up all over and I know of a couple of areas where the call to prayer is indeed heard, albeit from a van driving around and not from the mosques. There are now many Pakistani, Afghan and Arab immigrants who no longer both to learn English as it is not needed as they never emerge from there own communities so assimilation to there new homes is no concern of theirs. More and more young children are starting school unable to learn due to knowing no English so the cost of employing extra staff to tackle this is getting expensive.

I have three immediate thoughts on seeing statements like that. I mean, I doubt things here are directly comparable, so it makes me wonder:

Is that borne out by statistics, or is it just an impression?

To what extent does that differ from previous generations of immigrants?

Do you think descendents of those groups will maintain that 'difference', to the extent that it exists?

(11-01-2016 09:40 AM)Eva Wrote:  I am not a cultural relativist and I am with Hirsi Ali on this one when she said that “all people are equal but all cultures are not.” Islam as a culture is stuck in the dark ages and it has knocked on our door and we have welcomed it in. More fool us!

Treating it as a monolith is not, I think, a very helpful attitude in many cases.

After all, there are times when it's fair to talk about "Christianity" as a whole, to be sure, but also plenty of times where lumping together the United Church of Canada and the Canadian chapter of Jehovah's Witnesses would be asinine.

... this is my signature!