Are some people so messed up that they need religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Are some people so messed up that they need religion?
I don't think that people need religion to be kept in line.

As for deconverting - I see no reason for trying. Faith is very hard to dispel with reason and more importantly people are free to believe in even such silly shit like christianity.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2016, 11:52 AM
RE: Are some people so messed up that they need religion?
My aunt needed religion, and it wasn't because she was messed up.

It was her support system, and it worked for her. Without religion, she would not have had a support system at all.

She went to church Sunday mornings and Wednesday afternoons. If she didn't show up, the priest would show up at her place the next day to see if she was ok. If she was sick, he'd bring soup cooked by the church ladies, and supplies paid for by the church.

If she was in the hospital, he'd make sure she had daily visitors and he himself would visit her too.

So, yes, there are people who benefit from their churches, usually older folks. It depends on the religion, the individual church community and the person.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
23-11-2016, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2016 12:22 PM by Loom.)
My dad works as an emergency air-lift pilot. When they get a call, it's bad. I've had several nights where he'd come home and beg me to always wear a seatbelt, never do X and drive, etc, because he just lifted someone else's precious child that made that permanent mistake.

I think he and my mother find comfort in their religion, believing that even after death, life goes on. It's one reason I never bring up the subject or debate with them (for long, anyway.)

If it helps my dad cope with the kind of work he does, and he's not hurting anyone or pressing others to believe, I'm all for it.

Now, if he were trying to use his position to convert someone on what could be their deathbed, it'd be a whole 'nother story (and a massive legal issue.)

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
11-12-2016, 06:54 PM
I think, for some people - including me in the past - they see religion as something that gives them a "greater purpose" than "just living until you die", KWIM? For a couple people I know, that is one reason I'm hesitant to argue with them... If that is their main reason for living - if they feel insignificant or pointless without it - wouldn't I be doing more harm than good?

In ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as gods.... they have never forgotten this
(And yes, that gorgeous creature in my avatar is my very own lovely psycho-kitty-Queen)
11-12-2016, 07:02 PM
I do believe that some people need to have supernatural beliefs to cope with the prospect of death. What's scarier then thinking that everyone you love and everything you are will eventually be gone? :/
[+] 3 users Like Larai19's post
11-12-2016, 08:39 PM
I know a guy who uses religion to stay sober. "Fred you're an atheist. You've been an atheist since we were both teenagers. What gives?" "If you found out those happy pills the doc gives you are just sugar pills would you stop taking them?" ... Consider ... Point taken.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-12-2016, 01:20 AM
(11-12-2016 07:02 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  What's scarier then thinking that everyone you love and everything you are will eventually be gone? :/

Thinking that everyone you love and you might just end in hell being eternally tormented?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-12-2016, 12:47 PM
(12-12-2016 01:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(11-12-2016 07:02 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  What's scarier then thinking that everyone you love and everything you are will eventually be gone? :/

Thinking that everyone you love and you might just end in hell being eternally tormented?

Being tortured for years in some psychopath's basement.
12-12-2016, 01:13 PM
(12-12-2016 12:47 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 01:20 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Thinking that everyone you love and you might just end in hell being eternally tormented?

Being tortured for years in some psychopath's basement.
Agreed. There are many things far more scary than simple non existence, suffering being one of them.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-12-2016, 02:49 PM
True, but not every religion or denomination believes in a hell.