Are some people so messed up that they need religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2016, 08:34 PM
RE: Are some people so messed up that they need religion?
There are people who are so messed up that they think they need religion. Others so crazed that they actually want religion. Whether religion does them any good is dubious at best.

More commonly, there are people who are so messed up by religion that they have become dependant on religion. It forms such an integral part of their identity that stripping them of it would leave you with somebody who was no longer whole, suffering from profound psychological dissonance, and lacking many adult coping skills.

And you don't convert people, they convert themselves. It has never been truer that you cannot give somebody freedom.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
13-12-2016, 12:08 AM
(11-12-2016 06:54 PM)Closet-Heathen Wrote:  I think, for some people - including me in the past - they see religion as something that gives them a "greater purpose" than "just living until you die", KWIM? For a couple people I know, that is one reason I'm hesitant to argue with them... If that is their main reason for living - if they feel insignificant or pointless without it - wouldn't I be doing more harm than good?

What is this "greater purpose"?
13-12-2016, 12:14 AM
(13-12-2016 12:08 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  What is this "greater purpose"?

Well, for them, some might say "serving god" or something similar. Yea, it's ridiculous, but for them, they think they're part of something more important and 'eternal' I'm not saying *I* believe this... but I know if you asked my husband, this is something like what he would say. At one point, 30-some years ago, I had a sort of "existential crisis" and it is probably part of what lead me towards being religious for many years, so I get that, somewhat.

In ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as gods.... they have never forgotten this
(And yes, that gorgeous creature in my avatar is my very own lovely psycho-kitty-Queen)
13-12-2016, 01:01 AM
(12-12-2016 02:49 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  True, but not every religion or denomination believes in a hell.

Nor everyone thinks that death is so scary that belief in myth is necessary in order to be not afraid of simple non existence.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.