Are the "Atrocities" on the site worded in the exact way they were in the bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Are the "Atrocities" on the site worded in the exact way they were in the bible?
It's just as the title says. I'm curious as to this because the wordings don't seem to be as cryptic as I remember from when I was Cathlolic a few years before, and I don't remember them ever using parenthesis. It's not that I doubt these were actually taken from the bible, it's just that if they aren't worded exactly as they are in the actual Old Testiment, any Christian that would refer to an -ACTUAL- Bible could use the wording as a grounds to say that they were edited to make a God look bad. I'm thirteen now and it could just be that my reading skills have matured since I actually last read the Bible. Anyone mind clarifying this for me? I'd check myself, but I'd have to ask my grandmother for a Bible, which would be -VERY- awkward.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2012, 07:45 AM
RE: Are the "Atrocities" on the site worded in the exact way they were in the bible?
(15-05-2012 11:19 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  It's just as the title says. I'm curious as to this because the wordings don't seem to be as cryptic as I remember from when I was Cathlolic a few years before, and I don't remember them ever using parenthesis. It's not that I doubt these were actually taken from the bible, it's just that if they aren't worded exactly as they are in the actual Old Testiment, any Christian that would refer to an -ACTUAL- Bible could use the wording as a grounds to say that they were edited to make a God look bad. I'm thirteen now and it could just be that my reading skills have matured since I actually last read the Bible. Anyone mind clarifying this for me? I'd check myself, but I'd have to ask my grandmother for a Bible, which would be -VERY- awkward.
There are a hundred English translastions of the Bible. Some have been rewritten with words like 'you' instead of 'thou'.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like germanyt's post
16-05-2012, 09:14 AM
RE: Are the "Atrocities" on the site worded in the exact way they were in the bible?
(15-05-2012 11:19 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  It's just as the title says. I'm curious as to this because the wordings don't seem to be as cryptic as I remember from when I was Cathlolic a few years before, and I don't remember them ever using parenthesis. It's not that I doubt these were actually taken from the bible, it's just that if they aren't worded exactly as they are in the actual Old Testiment, any Christian that would refer to an -ACTUAL- Bible could use the wording as a grounds to say that they were edited to make a God look bad. I'm thirteen now and it could just be that my reading skills have matured since I actually last read the Bible. Anyone mind clarifying this for me? I'd check myself, but I'd have to ask my grandmother for a Bible, which would be -VERY- awkward.
You don't need to ask your grandmother for a bible in order to check for yourself. Just check one of the various online bibles that are available. Google is your friend.

Why ask us when you can confirm things and gain the knowledge for yourself?

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
16-05-2012, 09:19 AM
What the two above me said.

There are too many versions of the bible to have one perfect translation. You will have people bicker about what one version says versus the translation of another all the time. Here, there everywhere. Spend some time here and get into a debate about the contents of the bible and someone will surely ask you what translation you are using so they know what you were taught.

The essence of the passages doesn't vary much though. Usually when you debate a Christian and they start talking about how your translation is wrong or you aren't using things in context, or a certain word changes the entire meaning of the bible somehow... they are grasping.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-05-2012, 02:08 PM
(16-05-2012 09:14 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  You don't need to ask your grandmother for a bible in order to check for yourself. Just check one of the various online bibles that are available. Google is your friend.

Why ask us when you can confirm things and gain the knowledge for yourself?
Online Bible = Piracy, since it can be purchased retail. I didn't believe there were any online ones, due to that simple fact.

Quote:What the two above me said.

There are too many versions of the bible to have one perfect translation. You will have people bicker about what one version says versus the translation of another all the time. Here, there everywhere. Spend some time here and get into a debate about the contents of the bible and someone will surely ask you what translation you are using so they know what you were taught.

The essence of the passages doesn't vary much though. Usually when you debate a Christian and they start talking about how your translation is wrong or you aren't using things in context, or a certain word changes the entire meaning of the bible somehow... they are grasping.

Oh. Ok, I think I understand now. I was asking to see if I could use it as a legitimate resource to send people to when they state to me that "The Bible is an example of Purity", which several people have told me before.
16-05-2012, 02:19 PM
(16-05-2012 02:08 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  Oh. Ok, I think I understand now. I was asking to see if I could use it as a legitimate resource to send people to when they state to me that "The Bible is an example of Purity", which several people have told me before.

Can you tell us a little about the context that discussion was happening in. We can be of more help to you if we know what you were talking about.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
16-05-2012, 03:10 PM
(16-05-2012 02:08 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  Online Bible = Piracy, since it can be purchased retail. I didn't believe there were any online ones, due to that simple fact.

My suggestion would be to do a bit of research and due diligence before settling on a subjective assertion like "online bible = piracy".

It took me one Google search and about 10 seconds of browsing to find the terms of use for BibleGateway.com, and those terms of use seem to substantiate that what that site offers (e.g. a bunch of different versions of the bible in different languages as well) is completely legitimate and not considered piracy in any sense, legal or otherwise.

I'm pretty sure that the Bible is covered by fair use laws and is considered part of the public domain.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
16-05-2012, 03:13 PM
(16-05-2012 03:10 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that the Bible is covered by fair use laws and is considered part of the public domain.

Exactly. There are many sites that offer the complete texts, online.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
16-05-2012, 06:08 PM
This is my usual reference point:
http://www.biblegateway.com/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
16-05-2012, 06:14 PM
(16-05-2012 03:10 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(16-05-2012 02:08 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  Online Bible = Piracy, since it can be purchased retail. I didn't believe there were any online ones, due to that simple fact.

My suggestion would be to do a bit of research and due diligence before settling on a subjective assertion like "online bible = piracy".

It took me one Google search and about 10 seconds of browsing to find the terms of use for BibleGateway.com, and those terms of use seem to substantiate that what that site offers (e.g. a bunch of different versions of the bible in different languages as well) is completely legitimate and not considered piracy in any sense, legal or otherwise.

I'm pretty sure that the Bible is covered by fair use laws and is considered part of the public domain.
I was just about to put out a reason why I made that assumption, but I researched this time and realized that that arguement would have been wrong as well. One of the number one rules of Atheism is to assume nothing, yet somehow I end up doing so alot......XD.