Are the things of the universe rich with meaning?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2015, 08:13 AM
RE: Are the things of the universe rich with meaning?
events and objects having meaning???

Sure.

A rock - means it's a rock.
Lunchtime - means it's time to eat lunch.
Bullshit - means the discussion of meaning.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2015, 09:18 AM
(24-04-2015 05:06 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:  Here is another question I've wanted to ask this forum.

Do you think that existence is full of meaning? That is, are events and objects rich with layer upon layer of meaning and depth? Or is everything rather shallow and only means what it shows on the surface?

What is your opinion on this question, Thinking Atheist Forum members?

It's not a poll, so go to town and tell me your thoughts.

Yes the things in the universe that are meaningful to me have meaning on several layers. This is not to say that things have intrinsic meaning. The things that don't have meaning for me like knitting, racquetball, ice skating and being a longshoreman don't have meaning.....for me. They may have meaning for others. This does not mean that I think that values are subjective. They are neither subjective(in the mind) or intrinsic (in the object) but are the product of the relationship between the object and consciousness.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
01-05-2015, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 09:28 AM by kim.)
As others have said... "meaning" or attaching meaning to something is a construct as individual as each human being.

I attach a great deal of meaning to many people and things I encounter (or create) in my life. Such "meaning" may continue in a few things I leave behind but "meaning" probably won't carry the same emotional impact for another as it does for me. One day I will be dead and that particular meaning I had for a thing or person will cease to be.

Life goes on ... without us. Which is probably why some of us humans naturally though, somewhat childishly, cling to "meaning" as if it will keep us in life.

Humans are just a blip in time on this planet. And this planet will one day be gone as well. And then the Sun, our star, will wink out... itself, a blip in time.

I guess some wrestle with which carries the greater weight in the big "oooh/awwwe" spectrum; "meaning" or "time". I guess I'm more humbled by time. It seems more consistent and truthful.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
01-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Life. Love. Everything.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
(01-05-2015 09:54 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  42.

Life. Love. Everything.

That's Life, The Universe and Everything.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Being on Laramie's ignore list is richly meaningful to me. Drinking Beverage

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-05-2015, 10:51 AM
You'll make yourself crazy trying to assign, or find meaning for, everything in the Universe.
Relax, have a beer.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
01-05-2015, 10:53 AM
(01-05-2015 10:51 AM)pablo Wrote:  You'll make yourself crazy trying to assign, or find meaning for, everything in the Universe.
Relax, have a beer.

I've been meaning

to pick up a six pack...

[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post