Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
RE: Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?
Why do we have a medical diagnosis for people who are socially awkward?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like germanyt's post
12-04-2012, 10:31 AM
RE: Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?
I'm diagnosed with Asperger's... but I kind of disagree with the diagnosis.

Well, I love science at a young age, with my starting field in astronomy. I still remember being able to list out planets, asteroids, constellations and even Messier objects. I ramble on about the wonders of space to people, which kind of annoys people (I can't really understand subtle hints). Now, I love ALL the fields, especially Chemistry.

I love investigating things, that's why I want to be a researcher. I have read the Bible, and taken bible studies at a young age, out of curiosity and the desire to learn new things. One of my first few questions were, "Why does the Bible say bats are birds?" "The Sun was created in the fourth day? How about the galaxies and other star systems? Star formation requires a lot of time." "If mammals were created on the sixth day, and dinosaurs were extinct before mammals, when were dinosaurs created?"

Yes, I'm socially awkward. I just sit and listen to the discussions, learning a thing or two, unless the discussion is on science, then I input A LOT.

I don't view myself as autistic, just a quiet person who loves science (I hate crowds, flashing lights, loud music and any combination of the aforementioned). It's like calling someone who loves looking at clock tick crazy, there's nothing wrong with looking at clocks tick.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child. I took Ritalin for like 10 years. And all my mom needed to do was beat my ass and take my TV away. I'm kinda tired of every social or behavioral problem viewed as a disorder.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
12-04-2012, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 11:36 AM by spookiewon.)
I am an atheist and an aspie.
(12-04-2012 09:23 AM)Napoleon Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 06:10 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  One of our best friends is an Aspy. He sees it as an advantage. He's a little weird, but we love him. He's pretty much only disadvantaged by the non-social thing ... and he hates crowds, and noise, (he's also "asexual"..I've talked about him on that thread). But he is brilliant, and driven, and his concentration on whatever he's working on, is phenomenal.

Yes I don't view anyone who is like that to have a 'disability'. They are just different socially.
I think you minimize the social difficulties aspies and other autistics face. One is significantly impaired if on can't go anywhere they might encounter a crowd or moderate or louder noise.
12-04-2012, 12:19 PM
(12-04-2012 10:48 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child. I took Ritalin for like 10 years. And all my mom needed to do was beat my ass and take my TV away. I'm kinda tired of every social or behavioral problem viewed as a disorder.
I agree that ADD and ADHD are over diagnosed and medication isn't the best treatment even in cases where the diagnosis fits, but "beating" a child's "ass" has been proved to NOT teach appropriate behavior. And autism spectrum disorders are not anything like ADD or ADHD. Aspies are often studious and well-behaved, especially in school, despite having difficulty functioning in loud or crowded environments. I'm kinda tired of people commenting that I should be beaten because my nervous system has a lower threshold than theirs has so I can't tolerate noise, bright lights, heat, and cold, etc.
12-04-2012, 01:03 PM
(12-04-2012 12:19 PM)spookiewon Wrote:  "beating" a child's "ass" has been proved to NOT teach appropriate behavior.
I'd like to see the research which can clarify that.
12-04-2012, 01:40 PM
(12-04-2012 12:19 PM)spookiewon Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 10:48 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child. I took Ritalin for like 10 years. And all my mom needed to do was beat my ass and take my TV away. I'm kinda tired of every social or behavioral problem viewed as a disorder.
I agree that ADD and ADHD are over diagnosed and medication isn't the best treatment even in cases where the diagnosis fits, but "beating" a child's "ass" has been proved to NOT teach appropriate behavior. And autism spectrum disorders are not anything like ADD or ADHD. Aspies are often studious and well-behaved, especially in school, despite having difficulty functioning in loud or crowded environments. I'm kinda tired of people commenting that I should be beaten because my nervous system has a lower threshold than theirs has so I can't tolerate noise, bright lights, heat, and cold, etc.

LOL que?

I wasn't talking about you or anyone else. I was talking about me and ADHD specifically. Not that autistic kids need to be beaten. I was using it as an example of how a simple behavioral problem has become a medical diagnosis that now all of a sudden requires a multi million dollar drug business to solve it. I wasn't aware of nervous system issues associated with autism or aspbergers. They all appear to just lack self esteem and confidence to me.

And a good ass whooping can be quite effective whether you believe it or not. Take it from people who have had their ass beaten before. I'm not advocating it. You don't have to spank your kids to be a good or effective parent. But when it becomes necessary it does work.

-Mark Twain
12-04-2012, 08:09 PM
(12-04-2012 01:40 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 12:19 PM)spookiewon Wrote:  I agree that ADD and ADHD are over diagnosed and medication isn't the best treatment even in cases where the diagnosis fits, but "beating" a child's "ass" has been proved to NOT teach appropriate behavior. And autism spectrum disorders are not anything like ADD or ADHD. Aspies are often studious and well-behaved, especially in school, despite having difficulty functioning in loud or crowded environments. I'm kinda tired of people commenting that I should be beaten because my nervous system has a lower threshold than theirs has so I can't tolerate noise, bright lights, heat, and cold, etc.

LOL que?

I wasn't talking about you or anyone else. I was talking about me and ADHD specifically. Not that autistic kids need to be beaten. I was using it as an example of how a simple behavioral problem has become a medical diagnosis that now all of a sudden requires a multi million dollar drug business to solve it. I wasn't aware of nervous system issues associated with autism or aspbergers. They all appear to just lack self esteem and confidence to me.

And a good ass whooping can be quite effective whether you believe it or not. Take it from people who have had their ass beaten before. I'm not advocating it. You don't have to spank your kids to be a good or effective parent. But when it becomes necessary it does work.

i take dexedrine, but i only take it selectively. it does help me concentrate and off them my appetite, my talkitivness, goes sky high, but i cant keep doing it, because my heart cant handle these constant shifts. i think ritalin was enough
12-04-2012, 08:17 PM
I have Aspergerish tendencies myself. For example, a number of women over the years have told me that I avoid eye contact with them and that they find me "cold," whatever that means. I also like collecting and systematizing things on occasion. And I have had to learn the hard way to interpret social cues which other people seem to pick up naturally as part of their development.

I've also noticed this study some time back:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obse...eir-lives/
13-04-2012, 08:23 AM
I am astonished how popular aspergers seems to be lately. I feel like I am in an Asperberg-boom. And everyone seems to get it or have it or get diagnosed with it.
AND a lot of people actually seem to be proud of it.
Why do you call people with aspergers "aspie"??? Are you calling depressive people "depries" and people with cancer "cancies"?

I have no problem with the disease/illness/condition/<callitwhatyouwant> itself. It just annoys me how proud so many people are about it and having it. And somehow every smart person with poor social skills suddenly has aspergers. 5 years ago they where simply smart people with poor social skills.
Nope, I am not just saying this, I know a lot about Autism due to lots of reading and I learnt about it in college and and and. Aspergers is a form of Autism, Autism is something that makes your life more difficult, not better. You miss important things because your brain filters things completely different than a "usual" brain does, some things you won't understand, others you can't do and experience.
I can see how some of the symptoms seem good, but just because you see a little of it in yourself, doesn't mean you have it. Get a diagnosis if you want this label.

Also I would not trust online tests because you can influence them. I don't even trust psychologists with diagnosis, because you can influence them as well, especially if you read about it before.

sorry for rant but this whole Aspergers thing in general starts to seriously annoy me

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -