Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2016, 08:27 AM
RE: Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?
(11-04-2012 10:04 PM)Daftheed Wrote:  i would be interested to see if i can find fellow Aspies who are atheists. if you know someone who is, or know about the condition, please do post.

me! Smile
I know that thread has been dead for long, but I still think it would be interesting to see if there are others here

The best thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be wrong.

The worst thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be right.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes thatoneguy's post
23-06-2016, 03:55 PM
RE: Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?
(11-04-2012 10:04 PM)Daftheed Wrote:  i would be interested to see if i can find fellow Aspies who are atheists. if you know someone who is, or know about the condition, please do post.

My sister thinks that I'm an aspie, but she's just an OCD speech pathologist with no medical license at all. I'm not sure that her "professional" opinion matters.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
23-06-2016, 09:31 PM
I was diagnosed with it when I was 18.
23-06-2016, 09:33 PM
There are some of us here who have been diagnosed batshit bonkers.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
12-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Aspergers
My son (22) has Asperger's. He's able to communicate fine, and can tolerate crowds ok...he'll never be able to drive a car or hold down a "real" job, etc. His IQ is around 85 but with some savant tendencies. He outgrew much of the more autism-like behaviors, or at least learned to control them better. He still bobs his head, he still is unable to see from another person's perspective, he has a hard time transferring knowledge, he has a very hard time working in a linear fashion...well, linear to a non-autistic person, anyway...if you ask him to explain why he's doing whatever he's doing, he will tie it all together in such a way that it IS linear, at least in his mind.

I've spoken with him about religion, and he has a really hard time grasping the concept of god. He doesn't phrase it this way, but he demands empirical evidence- tell him some people believe in god, and he starts asking questions about him as if he's mortal and reachable- he wants to know where he lives, can we visit him, what does he look like, etc. When he's given the stock christian answers, he looks at you like you're crazy and very determinedly changes the topic of conversation.

He's my adopted son, he and his sister were very young, 1 and 3, when I married their mother. I brought a daughter (2) into the marriage. We both had full custody with no exes in the picture, so we are mom n dad to both, and they are our children, no doubts.

What's interesting is that my son and his sister are "blood" related, and my daughter is not- to them, I mean. My wife's blood kids both have some autistic tendencies- my son a great deal, my daughter just some behaviorally. She's in college, veterinary school, and has an IQ of 143.

They were all raised identically. The first ten years in Alaska, the last 10-ish back in Texas. The two who have autistic traits are both atheist, my blood daughter with no autism in the family is religious. Not a bible thumper, but more dedicated than an agnostic. I've often wondered at this seeming link between aspergers and atheism. Too small of a sample, but...provocative.

We allowed them to find their own path, although we did tell them what we believed when asked, we did not judge or attempt to persuade. Nor did we badmouth religion.

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

57.3% of all statistics are made up.

Whenever you get mad, just think of a t-rex trying to masturbate. Laughat

Visualize whirled peas.