Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2012, 09:24 AM
RE: Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?
I was unoffically diagnosed with aspergers (Dr didn't see any reason to put it on paper); my son was diagnosed with autism (high functioning type). Both of us identify as atheist. I don't see aspergers as an asset or a problem, however autism does indeed cause more problems than it has advantages, is education and social situations.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 04:00 AM
RE: Are there any atheists who have been diagnosed from aspergers syndrome or autism?
(11-04-2012 10:04 PM)Daftheed Wrote:  i would be interested to see if i can find fellow Aspies who are atheists. if you know someone who is, or know about the condition, please do post.
I'm not officially diagnosed, but I might as well be, the match is pretty obvious. Fortunately many pathologic traits of this syndrome or autism spectrum avoided me. (together with a professionals' help and a proper diagnosis at an early age)

When it comes to religion, like Christianity, I recall ditching it when I saw better alternatives. The whole doctrine of Hell and Heaven seemed illogical and unjust. Karma and reincarnation are much more logical. Plus, aspies aren't good with emotions, crowds, and the whole organized religion thing.I think aspies may get "religious" in the more solitary activities of philosophy, mysticism, meditation and music. I'm a real fanatic into (certain kinds of) music, when I let you listen to something from my collection, that's an equivalent of inviting a couple of Jehovah's witnesses into your house.

AS is an advantage in some areas, but it's a real disability when it comes to dealing with people, or even the will for it. Lots of social instincts, reflexes, body language and voice modulation abilities are lost. Our ancestors evolved it, but AS erases it all. This is why some dogs (mostly the bigger ones) HATE me, dogs are basically wolves, they evolved in packs and they rely upon the body language a lot. Someone who doesn't have the right body language is considered to be a sick individual or an enemy.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
15-04-2012, 06:49 AM
(13-04-2012 08:23 AM)Leela Wrote:  I am astonished how popular aspergers seems to be lately. I feel like I am in an Asperberg-boom. And everyone seems to get it or have it or get diagnosed with it.
AND a lot of people actually seem to be proud of it.
Why do you call people with aspergers "aspie"??? Are you calling depressive people "depries" and people with cancer "cancies"?

I have no problem with the disease/illness/condition/ itself. It just annoys me how proud so many people are about it and having it. And somehow every smart person with poor social skills suddenly has aspergers. 5 years ago they where simply smart people with poor social skills.
Nope, I am not just saying this, I know a lot about Autism due to lots of reading and I learnt about it in college and and and. Aspergers is a form of Autism, Autism is something that makes your life more difficult, not better. You miss important things because your brain filters things completely different than a "usual" brain does, some things you won't understand, others you can't do and experience.
I can see how some of the symptoms seem good, but just because you see a little of it in yourself, doesn't mean you have it. Get a diagnosis if you want this label.

Also I would not trust online tests because you can influence them. I don't even trust psychologists with diagnosis, because you can influence them as well, especially if you read about it before.

sorry for rant but this whole Aspergers thing in general starts to seriously annoy me

It's both a boon and a bane, a double-edged sword, and I'm not proud having diagnosed as such Smile Although I think some people are trying to use Asperger's as an excuse to act assholish ("Oh sorry for my random degrading outburst, I have Asperger's")

I thought I saw for a moment that depressed people were called "derpies"

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
15-04-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm diagnosed with assperger and I'm an atheist. There is a connection between asperger and atheism though.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obse...eir-lives/
http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/autism...andatheism

chan chan ki sikin aman
16-04-2012, 01:30 AM
(15-04-2012 06:49 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Although I think some people are trying to use Asperger's as an excuse to act assholish ("Oh sorry for my random degrading outburst, I have Asperger's")

Not only that. There are people who proud themselves for having someone with Aspergers in the family. There was a mother with a youtube channel filming her child lots of times and even had advertisement running on the videos. But what she did was not educational, it was parading.
There was another woman who filmed her toddler who was playing with a toytruck. He was very concentrated, and she said he has aspergers (which you can hardly diagnose at an age of about 1 year, if at all that old) and when people questioned that she started defending it.
And of course there are a few people who parade themselves as having it and will charge at you if you say something about it that sounds remotely negative.

See, in fact, I have pretty poor social skills and I am not stupid either (at least that's what I hope) but I would not dare to self diagnose myself with something at get a label that might make life difficult just because I have the label...

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2012, 10:33 AM
For me asperger has many advantages but also disadvantages, humanity would be better of with less emotions like someone with aspergers. Yea my social skills are pretty shit too but I'm able to talk normally most of the time, as long as the atmosphere isn't formal, that's my one weakness, I can't function when everyone acts formal. Formal behaviour is not natural, if you don't act natural you're a very scary man for me! I'm good at philosophizing but never did any education about it because I don't have the attention span to study. But I do know things like:
When you eat only rabbit you will stave to death
pi = 3.1415926535897932384
Humans have around 20 senses, not 5
etc. Most random knowledge I got came from watching QI alot.

chan chan ki sikin aman
29-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I have ADHD with some OCD traits. Am I still welcomed in the club? Or do I have to have Aspies, too? Confused
[+] 1 user Likes Thecreativelynamed's post
01-06-2012, 03:53 AM
(29-05-2012 09:34 PM)Thecreativelynamed Wrote:  I have ADHD with some OCD traits. Am I still welcomed in the club? Or do I have to have Aspies, too? Confused

That depends on how many latin dinosaur names did you know when you were at nursery school. Smile

(12-04-2012 08:17 PM)advancedatheist Wrote:  I have Aspergerish tendencies myself. For example, a number of women over the years have told me that I avoid eye contact with them and that they find me "cold," whatever that means. I also like collecting and systematizing things on occasion. And I have had to learn the hard way to interpret social cues which other people seem to pick up naturally as part of their development.
By "cold" women mean lacking in the department of emotion. These emotions aren't supposed to be very intense, positively or negatively, but they're "wide" instead. People tend to have a stock of these commonplace emotions that they show outwardly and exchange with others. This is how relationships are formed and how the society holds together. What happens if you're poor in emotions and instead try to use ideas as a social currency? (emotion as a social currency, what a profound thought, must save it for later!) You're broke and have to go to the net where ideas are the hard currency and emotions are reduced to mere smillies.

(13-04-2012 08:23 AM)Leela Wrote:  sorry for rant but this whole Aspergers thing in general starts to seriously annoy me
Just think of it as an equivalent of gay parade. It's just not happening in front of your house, which venetian blinds and earplugs would solve easily, but right in your face, at the lounge of the Internet.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
02-09-2014, 02:29 PM
One of us! One of us!
On the waiting list for diagnosis of aspergers. Atheist since 8.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
02-09-2014, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 05:22 PM by Luminon.)
Aspies may lack the primitive but fast and powerful senses of social conduct. As such, they are forced to figure out the social life through intellect and its logic.
This never works for a couple of reasons.
- Social life is not a rocket science perhaps to understand intellectually, but it is extremely fast, multi-input powerful and sweeping interplay of emotions, for which you totally need your evolutionary mammalian hardware. This isn't work for your cerebral OpenGL mode. You need hardware-accelerated emotions, instincts, voice tones, mirror neurons, fast face recognition, body language and so on.
Churches are of course very social gatherings.

- Social interaction is powerful and ancient stuff, but ultimately makes sense. Mating rituals and such. Cultural interaction does not. Culture of today is bullshit for covering power struggles. Seek logic in it at your own peril. Religions are of course all about that, so Aspies don't get much into them. But they seem quite easily wooed with Roman law, Enlightenment social visions and 19th century ideologies, so they're not perfect Wink

I considered myself an Aspie and maybe I am, but I find it hard to separate that genetic influence from a bad upbringing by both parents coming from abusive families. There are many social functions that get built-in by interaction with parents, face to face, moment to moment mirroring and validating of baby's emotions for weeks, months or years. If mother neglects that, social skills might be badly impaired. Total lack of human contact is extremely harmful to children, up to the point of death or permanent brain damage. To a lesser degree, every abusive parent does this, combined with verbal abuse (works like a neurotoxin), narcissism, over-controlling, and this special combination of being both neglectful and intrusive at the same time. I would not be surprised at all if the modern epidemic of Asperger's was caused by some genetic pre-disposition that makes a person dysfunctional as a result of bad parenting, instead of a functional sadistic jerk, which is about 1/3 of survivors. There may be a plenty of eccentric and creative people with Asperger's who were well-parented and therefore have little problems with depression, communication or motivation.

The Venus Project