Are there any former Quakers on TTA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Are there any former Quakers on TTA?
I know two Quakers. Both are quite liberal in their politics and supporting of gay marriage and equal rights for women but I don't know if these two are an exception to the Quaker rules or not. They also never try to convert me which is kinda nice. Anyone else know any Quakers or are there any former Quakers here on TTA?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2015, 02:23 PM
RE: Are there any former Quakers on TTA?
My dad's side is Quaker and I used to attend services when I was younger for the exposure and was also involved with the Youth Group. Quakerism is actually rather varied in its branches and is all over the place politically and theologically, but the main segment of Quakerism is indeed highly liberal in its theology and activism work. Their services are boring as fuck though, even more so than regular church services, and their weddings are similarly dull. Since there aren't any clergymen to formalize the structure of the proceedings, Quaker meeting consists of the congregation sitting in the group in silence and having a member occasionally stand up every now and then to say their piece. That goes on for an hour or two.

They're good people though, they're more focused on helping the community than they are on proselytizing.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
27-12-2015, 02:31 PM
(27-12-2015 02:23 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  My dad's side is Quaker and I used to attend services when I was younger for the exposure and was also involved with the Youth Group. Quakerism is actually rather varied in its branches and is all over the place politically and theologically, but the main segment of Quakerism is indeed highly liberal in its theology and activism work. Their services are boring as fuck though, even more so than regular church services, and their weddings are similarly dull. Since there aren't any clergymen to formalize the structure of the proceedings, Quaker meeting consists of the congregation sitting in the group in silence and having a member occasionally stand up every now and then to say their piece. That goes on for an hour or two.

They're good people though, they're more focused on helping the community than they are on proselytizing.

Quote: Since there aren't any clergymen to formalize the structure of the proceedings.

So they don't have any clergy at all? No hierarchy of church members?

27-12-2015, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2015 02:53 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(27-12-2015 02:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(27-12-2015 02:23 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  My dad's side is Quaker and I used to attend services when I was younger for the exposure and was also involved with the Youth Group. Quakerism is actually rather varied in its branches and is all over the place politically and theologically, but the main segment of Quakerism is indeed highly liberal in its theology and activism work. Their services are boring as fuck though, even more so than regular church services, and their weddings are similarly dull. Since there aren't any clergymen to formalize the structure of the proceedings, Quaker meeting consists of the congregation sitting in the group in silence and having a member occasionally stand up every now and then to say their piece. That goes on for an hour or two.

Quote: Since there aren't any clergymen to formalize the structure of the proceedings.

So they don't have any clergy at all? No hierarchy of church members?

I've heard that some branches do but most don't. One of the founding tenets of Quakerism is that God can speak through anybody, and they were one of the first religious congregations in America that gave equal prominence to both their male and female members. Clergy are considered unnecessary middlemen in a congregation where everybody is considered equal in their access to divine inspiration.

It's a democratic community; administrative, logistical, and social events are managed by the congregation in councils, everybody is elected to their position. Apparently, according to my dad who spent some time in one of the council positions, they deliberate everything ad nauseam. They spent several months arguing over a piano in the meeting room and whether it was too heavy and would make the floor sag (the same meeting room that holds the entire congregation).

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
27-12-2015, 07:24 PM
(27-12-2015 02:49 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(27-12-2015 02:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So they don't have any clergy at all? No hierarchy of church members?

I've heard that some branches do but most don't. One of the founding tenets of Quakerism is that God can speak through anybody, and they were one of the first religious congregations in America that gave equal prominence to both their male and female members. Clergy are considered unnecessary middlemen in a congregation where everybody is considered equal in their access to divine inspiration.

It's a democratic community; administrative, logistical, and social events are managed by the congregation in councils, everybody is elected to their position. Apparently, according to my dad who spent some time in one of the council positions, they deliberate everything ad nauseam. They spent several months arguing over a piano in the meeting room and whether it was too heavy and would make the floor sag (the same meeting room that holds the entire congregation).
[Image: a50ba9ceee8618e54674c58fd0398e6f.jpg]

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
27-12-2015, 07:27 PM
I used to eat this for breakfast. Does that count?

[Image: 0003000041000_A?$img_size_380x380$]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
27-12-2015, 07:43 PM
(27-12-2015 07:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I used to eat this for breakfast. Does that count?

I still do!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
27-12-2015, 07:58 PM
I thought this was gonna be a gaming thread. But it's not, so no Tongue

[Image: Quake1cover.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
28-12-2015, 12:28 PM
(27-12-2015 07:43 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(27-12-2015 07:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I used to eat this for breakfast. Does that count?

I still do!

Me too! I love Quaker Oats. Nothing like a bowl of hot cereal in the morning, though sometimes I have a bowl of Quaker Oats in the evening. I've almost eaten enough over the years to make me a Quaker.

28-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Quakers are pretty cool people, generally but yes, they are all over the place politically. Famously, Nixon was raised Quaker.

I drive through Friends University every night and their billboard adverts have always been quite secular. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post