Poll: Are you an gnostic atheist?
Yes. I am atheist and I KNOW there is NO god.
No. I am atheist but am not 100% positive god doesn't exist.
I am a believer. And I KNOW god exist. I just KNOW
I am a believer. But I can't be sure.
[Show Results]

Are there any gnostic atheist out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
19-08-2012, 11:37 PM
RE: Are there any gnostic atheist out there?
Gnostic about theistic deities (because self-refuting attributes are ascribed to them), agnostic about deistic deities.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
19-08-2012, 11:37 PM
(19-08-2012 11:28 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would argue that no supreme being exists. If something like a supreme being does exist, I'd say from what we know about biology, it would come from a race of such beings, and need to still have that race to continue its species existence.

What if it's just some ÜberMegaMind of a collective consciousness of a highly evolved Star Trek master race?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-08-2012, 11:39 PM
The ultimate source of being obviously exists,even if 'non causal' in terms of our comprehension of word meaning and phenomena. Deism teaches this and spoil it it all their add ons...............
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
19-08-2012, 11:49 PM
(19-08-2012 10:51 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I wasn't trying to add factual integrity. I was trying to emphasize a word. You can't say it didn't work since you took the time to address it.

Wait. What?

You're doing your best to show that knowledge isn't possible... and you just claimed knowledge about my actions without proof that what you said was true. You have no way of knowing whether or not that made me address what you just said.

Look, if you tie yourself in logical knots of your own making, you're depriving me of the opportunity of doing it for you. You spoil sport.

(19-08-2012 10:51 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Cant we all move on from this word police bullshit. I promise you I will mispell some shit too.

Your entire argument is predicated on the idea of the word police, only your word is agnosticism. Do the word police have cute uniforms? Do the male officers have perfect colons, and the female officers constant periods? Sorry, I'm thinking of the punctuation branch.

I'm finding this slightly silly (if you hadn't guessed) because you've purposefully avoided the claim that you don't know that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist... purely to make your point, rather than being honest.

(19-08-2012 10:51 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Anyway. Red, when you know something. Does not the burden of proof lie on you?

Clearly, it doesn't. I know that there are 8 planets in the solar system, because I trust the consistency of the astronomers who tell me that there are. I don't have to travel to each of them in order to prove that knowledge.

(19-08-2012 10:51 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Red, what I think you are telling me is that you are agnostic.

What I think is that you have had that sentence planned before you made this thread, ready to apply it to the first atheist who disclaimed agnosticism. What I also think is that you should pay more attention to what people are telling you, rather than reaching inside your top hat for a rabbit that isn't there.

(19-08-2012 10:51 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  The only thing I know for sure is...that we know nothing. that is not gnostic.

Read some David Hume.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
19-08-2012, 11:51 PM
(19-08-2012 11:37 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 11:28 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would argue that no supreme being exists. If something like a supreme being does exist, I'd say from what we know about biology, it would come from a race of such beings, and need to still have that race to continue its species existence.

What if it's just some ÜberMegaMind of a collective consciousness of a highly evolved Star Trek master race?

Perhaps. Like project 2501

Instead the entire race would exist in one medium. Like a swarm intelligence. Somehow able to interact with its surroundings. Maybe? But that is the only part of the line I'm willing to blur.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
19-08-2012, 11:57 PM
(19-08-2012 11:51 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 11:37 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What if it's just some ÜberMegaMind of a collective consciousness of a highly evolved Star Trek master race?

Perhaps. Like project 2501

Instead the entire race would exist in one medium. Like a swarm intelligence. Somehow able to interact with its surroundings. Maybe? But that is the only part of the line I'm willing to blur.

Or more like the Borg and it wants to assimilate us. Shocking

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
20-08-2012, 06:20 AM
(19-08-2012 11:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 11:51 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Perhaps. Like project 2501

Or more like the Borg and it wants to assimilate us. Shocking

As long as it involves 7 of 9 I'm ok with it.Yes
[Image: 7+of+9.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-08-2012, 06:59 AM
(19-08-2012 09:12 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I'm searching for a gnostic atheist.

I guess to be fair I should ask if you are a gnostic/agnostic theist too.

This is a rather unfair thread. Why can't one be agnostic and gnostic about different deities?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
20-08-2012, 07:01 AM
(20-08-2012 06:59 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 09:12 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I'm searching for a gnostic atheist.

I guess to be fair I should ask if you are a gnostic/agnostic theist too.

This is a rather unfair thread. Why can't one be agnostic and gnostic about different deities?

I suppose one could, but it hardly seems a tenable position. Why or how would one claim to have knowledge of one deity, but be unsure of others?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-08-2012, 07:23 AM
(20-08-2012 07:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 06:59 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  This is a rather unfair thread. Why can't one be agnostic and gnostic about different deities?

I suppose one could, but it hardly seems a tenable position. Why or how would one claim to have knowledge of one deity, but be unsure of others?

I am 100% sure theistic deities do not exist. Deistic deities, however, I am less sure.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post