Poll: Are you an gnostic atheist?
Yes. I am atheist and I KNOW there is NO god.
No. I am atheist but am not 100% positive god doesn't exist.
I am a believer. And I KNOW god exist. I just KNOW
I am a believer. But I can't be sure.
[Show Results]

Are there any gnostic atheist out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
23-08-2012, 11:31 PM
RE: Are there any gnostic atheist out there?
(23-08-2012 08:44 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  the skeptic will see that as a justification of his skeptical stance. He is skeptical about everything... and that a complete lack of knowledge allows for nothing other than uncertainties in everything he does.

We're never right... we just keep approaching "less wrong". You treat uncertainty and doubt as if they were evil or poison, things to be avoided. But these things are healthy.

But it's not as if I don't treat things as if I were certain about them. I just remember to keep an open mind, because no matter how certain you are (such as in the existence of 9 planets), you'll always discover that you weren't right. The best you can hope for is to become less wrong.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 03:51 AM
(23-08-2012 11:31 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  We're never right... we just keep approaching "less wrong". You treat uncertainty and doubt as if they were evil or poison, things to be avoided. But these things are healthy.

Given a situation where there are a finite number of answers, saying that nobody can get the right answer is breathtakingly wrong. So you're living up to your own analysis, at least.

I don't treat uncertainty and doubt as if they were poisonous. I treat them as if they were impractical. Impractical if we accept skepticism 100% (which is what I've kept saying in this thread). Skepticism is like salt. A pinch of it enhances our experience. Emptying an entire salt-cellar onto our plate... now, that's the poisonous part.
24-08-2012, 04:22 AM
(24-08-2012 03:51 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 11:31 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  We're never right... we just keep approaching "less wrong". You treat uncertainty and doubt as if they were evil or poison, things to be avoided. But these things are healthy.

Given a situation where there are a finite number of answers, saying that nobody can get the right answer is breathtakingly wrong. So you're living up to your own analysis, at least.

I don't treat uncertainty and doubt as if they were poisonous. I treat them as if they were impractical.
Impractical if we accept skepticism 100% (which is what I've kept saying in this thread). Skepticism is like salt. A pinch of it enhances our experience. Emptying an entire salt-cellar onto our plate... now, that's the poisonous part.
Accepting anything 100% is gnostic yes?

Your not gnostic then. ....period

IDK man, I just don't get you dude. sorry.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 04:29 AM
(24-08-2012 04:22 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Your not gnostic then. ....period

Adding "....period" after a statement doesn't make it any more true.

(23-08-2012 08:44 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  As a non-skeptic, I can happily call myself a gnostic atheist. If a partial-skeptic would argue otherwise, that is within their rights to do so.

But it doesn't make them any less wrong. Shy
24-08-2012, 04:30 AM
(24-08-2012 03:51 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  

I don't treat uncertainty and doubt as if they were poisonous. I treat them as if they were impractical. Impractical if we accept skepticism 100% (which is what I've kept saying in this thread). Skepticism is like salt. A pinch of it enhances our experience. Emptying an entire salt-cellar onto our plate... now, that's the poisonous part.

there's an infinite amount of possible wrong answers for every question, and for some questions there's even an infinite amount of right answers (but those usually are equal so they aren't actually different, just different expression of the same thing, you get what I mean)

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
24-08-2012, 04:33 AM
(24-08-2012 04:30 AM)nach_in Wrote:  there's an infinite amount of possible wrong answers for every question, and for some questions there's even an infinite amount of right answers

Some questions have a binary answer. Yes or no? (see what I did, there?) Dodgy
24-08-2012, 04:41 AM
(24-08-2012 04:33 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 04:30 AM)nach_in Wrote:  there's an infinite amount of possible wrong answers for every question, and for some questions there's even an infinite amount of right answers

maybe Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
24-08-2012, 04:44 AM
(24-08-2012 04:29 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  Adding "....period" after a statement doesn't make it any more true.
Just focus on the subject at hand will ya? sheesh.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
24-08-2012, 04:44 AM
(24-08-2012 04:41 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 04:33 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  Some questions have a binary answer. Yes or no? (see what I did, there?) Dodgy

maybe Wink

I anticipated a 3rd reply. The thing is, it's a long way from infinite, isn't it? Sometimes, people are right. Sleepy
24-08-2012, 04:47 AM
(24-08-2012 04:33 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  

You're right. I shouldn't make a sweeping statement about all answers being as hard as figuring out what shape the Earth is or how old the universe is, which are mathematical concepts that we just keep nearing without every being exact. Some answers are knowable because there is a shortage of answers.

However, there are still a lot of questions without such simple answers, and they generally don't have a finite number of answers (as nach_in correctly pointed out). If a question has an infinite amount of wrong answers (as you yourself noticed), then you can never be certain that your answer will never change.

I agree with you on a major point, though. We can, given the limited data that we have, arrive at an answer. I'm not saying that we have to chalk answers up as "I don't know and will never know". I'm just saying that once we have an answer, we need to treat it as tentative, knowing that further information may change this answer.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.