Poll: Are you an gnostic atheist?
Yes. I am atheist and I KNOW there is NO god.
No. I am atheist but am not 100% positive god doesn't exist.
I am a believer. And I KNOW god exist. I just KNOW
I am a believer. But I can't be sure.
[Show Results]

Are there any gnostic atheist out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
24-08-2012, 04:49 AM
RE: Are there any gnostic atheist out there?
(24-08-2012 04:44 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Just focus on the subject at hand will ya? sheesh.

I've been consistent in explaining my position throughout this thread. Any reply now, will just be me repeating what I've already said. I don't know how to make myself any clearer, without getting some crayons to draw some pretty pictures.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2012, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 04:58 AM by nach_in.)
(24-08-2012 04:44 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 04:41 AM)nach_in Wrote:  maybe Wink

I anticipated a 3rd reply. The thing is, it's a long way from infinite, isn't it? Sometimes, people are right. Sleepy

the thing is, that "maybe" is infinite.

take a binary question: Do unicrons exist? (yeah, we have an obsession with unicorns Tongue)

You can give many answers depending on your definition of unicorn, there you have infinite possibilities of being wrong, and we can't never be certain about the definition, and even if you were, you can never be certain about the negative.

what about something more obvious: do horses exist? that begs the question, what's a horse? how do variations from specimen to specimen come into play? and again, even if we agree on the definition of horses, are we certain that our mind isn't playing with us? how do we know there isn't some weird universal delusion about horses, and because we can't be certain there isn't we cannot never be certain about horses... probably the only certainty we may have could be that possibly almost nothing is certain... maybe.

EDIT: btw, if by any chance you guess the right answer to a question, you can't never be certain about that being the right answer, it will never fail (of course, because it's right) but you can never trust it absolutely.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 04:55 AM
(24-08-2012 04:47 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'm just saying that once we have an answer, we need to treat it as tentative, knowing that further information may change this answer.

Always. I'm perfectly happy to use a pencil to provide an answer, rather than a pen, so that an eraser can be used if science gives us a better answer. As I've said from the beginning, knowledge can change when facts change. That isn't an undervaluation of what knowledge is... knowledge is our best possible position, given all of the facts.

If we treat knowledge any other way, then we can never use the word. And that's a very impractical level of existence. We need to know things.
24-08-2012, 05:02 AM
(24-08-2012 04:55 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 04:47 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  I'm just saying that once we have an answer, we need to treat it as tentative, knowing that further information may change this answer.

Always. I'm perfectly happy to use a pencil to provide an answer, rather than a pen, so that an eraser can be used if science gives us a better answer. As I've said from the beginning, knowledge can change when facts change. That isn't an undervaluation of what knowledge is... knowledge is our best possible position, given all of the facts.

If we treat knowledge any other way, then we can never use the word. And that's a very impractical level of existence. We need to know things.

oh, this is a semantic discussion then, you know: "knowledge" "facts" meh, no one knows what those things mean if they mean anything at all...

I like your definition, "knowledge is our best possible position, given all of the facts" I'd just add: "[facts] and their current interpretation" you know, Pluto didn't get smaller, we just got better at interpreting what a planet is Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
24-08-2012, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2012 01:44 PM by Human Being.)
Being that the poll choices were only a singular "God," and not plural, I checked that I am an Gnostic Atheist. I do not claim to be Gnostic when it comes to all God concepts and hypotheses, but I know enough about the only God (that I'm aware of) that has ever existed as a singular deity—that is, the god of Abraham—to know for certain that such a character does not and cannot exist. It is a self-refuting concept to be perfect and deficient at the same time. The God of Abraham is just that; a perfect being in need of something; in this case, worship and an adherence by humans to specific rules governing worship.
[+] 1 user Likes Human Being's post
24-08-2012, 01:31 PM
(21-08-2012 11:25 PM)Doombringer333 Wrote:  I am a veteran of The Iraq War. While I was there, I watched as those scum murdered their own people. I saw three little girls get hit by a motor and had their heads and small bodies get blown to pieces, I witnessed children walk up to crowds of people and detonate themselves, I watched over time a pile of bodies decay to a pile sun bleached bones. I've killed the enemy and liked it. Now if there was an omniscient entity, and omnipotent "Creator" who knows both past and future and sees everything, who made us all in his perfect image, then he would have seen all these wars over religion and the evil and imperfect people that inhabit our planet beforehand. But they're still here today and the wars are still being waged. Therefore I know there is no god.

Well, none of what you said disproves God, it simply refutes the one who is described as loving. No thank you for your service.
24-08-2012, 02:02 PM
(24-08-2012 01:20 PM)Human Being Wrote:  Being that the poll choices were only a singular "God," and not plural, I checked that I am an Gnostic Atheist. I do not claim to be Gnostic when it comes to all God concepts and hypotheses, but I know enough about the only God (that I'm aware of) that has ever existed as a singular deity—that is, the god of Abraham—to know for certain that such a character does not and cannot exist. It is a self-refuting concept to be perfect and deficient at the same time. The God of Abraham is just that; a perfect being in need of something; in this case, worship and an adherence by humans to specific rules governing worship.

Interestingly, you're the only Human Being on this forum. Hmmm.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-08-2012, 02:04 PM
(24-08-2012 02:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-08-2012 01:20 PM)Human Being Wrote:  Being that the poll choices were only a singular "God," and not plural, I checked that I am an Gnostic Atheist. I do not claim to be Gnostic when it comes to all God concepts and hypotheses, but I know enough about the only God (that I'm aware of) that has ever existed as a singular deity—that is, the god of Abraham—to know for certain that such a character does not and cannot exist. It is a self-refuting concept to be perfect and deficient at the same time. The God of Abraham is just that; a perfect being in need of something; in this case, worship and an adherence by humans to specific rules governing worship.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-08-2012, 02:09 PM
(24-08-2012 02:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I am a logical human, good sir.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
24-08-2012, 03:55 PM
(24-08-2012 04:49 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  I've been consistent in explaining my position throughout this thread. Any reply now, will just be me repeating what I've already said. I don't know how to make myself any clearer, without getting some crayons to draw some pretty pictures.

Oh I see your position.

I'm saying what does correcting someones grammar or typing have to do with the thread?

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.