Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 10:38 AM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
(17-05-2015 10:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Well, Girard work is primarily anthropological rather than theological, and is perhaps one of the most exhaustive and comprehensive works on scapegoating, and ritual sacrifices we have.

You seem to have a peculiar fascination with scapegoating. None of my business why.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2015, 10:39 AM
(17-05-2015 10:36 AM)Leo Wrote:  ...

So you decided to accuse me of dishonesty, without substantiating it?
17-05-2015, 10:43 AM
(17-05-2015 10:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:36 AM)Leo Wrote:  ...

So you decided to accuse me of dishonesty, without substantiating it?

You are very dishonest in the discussions. Everyone can see that. I don't need to write a huge paragraph explaining my rating.Wink

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
17-05-2015, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 10:49 AM by Tomasia.)
(17-05-2015 10:38 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You seem to have a peculiar obsession with scapegoating. None of my business why.

I do have a peculiar obsession with it, because it reveals a lot about our resentments, and hatreds towards one group or the other, whether the religious, or the non-religious, theist or atheists, blacks or whites, etc..

There's often this constant disharmony, something maladaptive between one's anger and frustration and those they see as the source and blame for it.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
17-05-2015, 10:44 AM
(17-05-2015 10:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:18 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Maybe prophet Elijah lifted up by chariots of fire? Maybe idea expanded from single man to all faithful? And also undergone other changes. It could be basis for idea of rapture I think.

Yes, I think there are numerous examples which could imply and form the basis of the Rapture in the OT. I was looking for examples outside of the Babble since the OT and NT are both integrated into Christianity in some sort of forced perverse dysfunctional marriage.

If not from OT or NT then: It is believed in Zoroastrianism that the Peshotanu was taken up into Heaven alive and will someday return as the Zoroastrian messiah; Hercules it was believed, following the completion of his twelve labors, was raised into Olympus; Apollonius of Tyana was said to have been assumed into Elysium by Philostratus.

More - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entering_Heaven_alive

Though I think these are not much similar to the concept of rapture, maybe with exception of Zoroastrianism.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
17-05-2015, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 10:53 AM by Tomasia.)
(17-05-2015 10:43 AM)Leo Wrote:  You are very dishonest in the discussions. Everyone can see that. I don't need to write a huge paragraph explaining my rating.Wink

So you want accuse me of being dishonest? But you don't want to substantiate it, or even give a clear account of this?

I don't give a shit about the rating, but it's pretty cowardly to accuse me of being dishonest, if you're not gonna actually back that accusation up.
17-05-2015, 10:55 AM
(17-05-2015 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  So you want accuse me of being dishonest? But you don't want to substitute it, or even give a clear account of this?

I don't give a shit about the rating, but it's pretty cowardly to accuse me of being dishonest, if you're not gonna actually back that accusation up.

It's hard to kick against the pricks. heh.

I see Tomasia, that you have them right where they want you. At the risk of slowing the momentum you've built here, one question;
How's it working out for you, believer?

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
17-05-2015, 10:55 AM
(17-05-2015 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:43 AM)Leo Wrote:  You are very dishonest in the discussions. Everyone can see that. I don't need to write a huge paragraph explaining my rating.Wink

So you want accuse me of being dishonest? But you don't want to substitute it, or even give a clear account of this?

Dude what do you want me to do ? Do you want me to quote all your dishonest posts in all threads ? Meh I will not waste my time. You aren't worth it. Who cares if I give you a negative rating? You are whinning like I'm the only one giving you a negative rating. Dude move on.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
17-05-2015, 11:21 AM
(17-05-2015 10:55 AM)Kestrel Wrote:  I see Tomasia, that you have them right where they want you. At the risk of slowing the momentum you've built here, one question;
How's it working out for you, believer?

It's always a mixed bag. Sometimes fun, sometimes not. Sometimes insightful, sometimes not. I was never particularly looking to be anyone's friend here, but I wasn't particularly looking to be anyones enemy either, lol.

But every so often someone succeeds in getting under my skin, and perhaps coincides with when I'm hungry, or tired.

But overall I like this place. People are for the most part swell, though we don't see eye to eye.

Though there's perhaps too much testosterone in the air sometimes.
17-05-2015, 11:22 AM
(17-05-2015 10:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:38 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You seem to have a peculiar obsession with scapegoating. None of my business why.

I do have a peculiar obsession with it, because it reveals a lot about our resentments, and hatreds towards one group or the other, whether the religious, or the non-religious, theist or atheists, blacks or whites, etc..

There's often this constant disharmony, something maladaptive between one's anger and frustration and those they see as the source and blame for it.

I agree with that. But I also think it can be considered in a completely secular manner. ... Consider ... I guess to the extent that religion fosters and promotes this maladaptation it should also be considered. Feels like a different thread to me though.

#sigh