Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: Are there any novel concepts uniquely attributable to Christianity?
I'm not positive about the cross thing. There are thousands of religious symbols, and I've been reading about them.
It's just a matter of reading every one to know what it is not.
At this point it's a maybe at best.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2015, 12:14 PM
(17-05-2015 10:18 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Edit 2: It appear that limbo is trully unique, or more to the point without some serious digging I can not find something about it being plagiarism. Though I suspect if religion have some form of baptism then it could have some form of limbo.

Zoroastrianism appears to have an analog to limbo in Hamistagan. Did Christianity just package up Zoroastrianism part and parcel and appropriate it as their own?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-05-2015, 12:16 PM
(17-05-2015 12:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 10:18 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Edit 2: It appear that limbo is trully unique, or more to the point without some serious digging I can not find something about it being plagiarism. Though I suspect if religion have some form of baptism then it could have some form of limbo.

Zoroastrianism appears to have an analog to limbo in Hamistagan. Did Christianity just package up Zoroastrianism part and parcel and appropriate it as their own?

good find! Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-05-2015, 12:17 PM
(17-05-2015 12:09 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm not positive about the cross thing. There are thousands of religious symbols, and I've been reading about them.

So we've dealt with the rapture, limbo, and the Holy Spirit. Pablo's is the only one currently outstanding.

#sigh
17-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Yes, yes I am! Thank you. Tongue
17-05-2015, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2015 12:44 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(17-05-2015 10:16 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm not sure how this a matter semantic distinctions. All of the pre-judeo christian mythologies of human sacrifices, omitted the innocence of the victim. It shouldn't even be too hard to understand why, because victimizers don't tend to recognize their victims as innocent. And it's the victimizers who tend to write these mythologies, not the victims, or their sympathizers.

Continuing to make bold-face lies is not helping you. Not one example offered. How about 5 examples from each side, and prove your inane contention.
Many ancient cultures practiced human sacrifice, and DID NOT impute guilt on babies, or their "first-born". No one (other than the fool Tomasia) has EVER suggested they saw the sacrificial offering as "guilty". His claim that Christianity is unique is simply false on it's face, and the fact he continues to make that claim demonstrates he would claim black is white, if it served his idiotic premise. Among those who practiced child sacrifice, (the sacrifice of innocents), were the Ethiopians, the Babylonians, the Assyrians, the Phoenicians, the Canaanites, the Scythians, the Egyptians, the Chinese, the Persians, the Indians, the Gauls, the Carthaginians, the Britons, the Arabians, the Romans, and many more, including the Africans and peoples of the Americas. The essence of offering the "best and dearest to the gods", 'the fruit of their body for the sin of their (ie the "perpetrator !!) soul' (Mic 6:7).

The Old Testament reveals that Ahaz 'made his son to pass through the fire,' this is the incident in Scripture that made the valley of Tophet an abomination as recorded in Jer 7:31-32:

"And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, which I did not command, nor did it come into My heart. Therefore behold, the days are coming," says the LORD, "when it will no more be called Tophet, or the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter; for they will bury in Tophet until there is no room."

Abraham was asked by the Lord to offer his only son on an altar. Was he "guilty" of something ? Hahahahahahahaha

Tomasia can provide NOT ONE academic or historical reference for his insane idea that those practicing child sacrifice thought that their victims were anything other than innocent.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-05-2015, 12:23 PM
(17-05-2015 11:27 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, you stick to your guns, I'll give you that. Yes Nothing you have ever heard in here has ever shaken your beliefs?

Yes, the flying pastafarian arguments, and the whole who created God thing.

But no. My beliefs were shaken a long time ago, long before I ever came upon an atheist forum. And I've been a part of one form or another of groups like this for awhile. There's nothing new, and most of the arguments seem to be reserved solely for fundie evangelical types, and I guess that gets stale pretty fast.

I have no interest in convincing anyone to believe in God. I just like the opportunity to explore someone else's head from time to time, other than my own. I like hearing about other people's live and experiences, and how they play a part in what they believe, and who they are, seeing their own unique personalities, and quirks. I probably use religion more so as a means of entry.

Being on the internet with strangers, where taboos have already been broken just by putting religion on the table, just makes it all the more easier to get personal.
17-05-2015, 12:25 PM
(17-05-2015 12:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 11:27 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, you stick to your guns, I'll give you that. Yes Nothing you have ever heard in here has ever shaken your beliefs?

But no. My beliefs were shaken a long time ago, long before I ever came upon an atheist forum. And I've been a part of one form or another of groups like this for awhile. There's nothing new, and most of the arguments seem to be reserved solely for fundie evangelical types, and I guess that gets stale pretty fast.

I have no interest in convincing anyone to believe in God. I just like the opportunity to explore someone else's head from time to time, other than my own. I like hearing about other people's live and experiences, and how they play a part in what they believe, and who they are, seeing their own unique personalities, and quirks. I probably use religion more so as a means of entry.

Being on the internet with strangers, where taboos have already been broken just by putting religion on the table, just makes it all the more easier to get personal.

But u still believe in God--just question sometimes etc.?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-05-2015, 12:26 PM
(17-05-2015 12:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

And it's the Flying Spaghetti Monster Smile Please respect our deity by referring to him correctly Tongue

[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
17-05-2015, 12:29 PM
(17-05-2015 12:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

It's possible, it wouldn't be first thing they as you say appropriated.

(17-05-2015 12:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2015 12:09 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm not positive about the cross thing. There are thousands of religious symbols, and I've been reading about them.

So we've dealt with the rapture, limbo, and the Holy Spirit. Pablo's is the only one currently outstanding.

Maybe not if by Pablo you mean something used to kill god and then worshipped:
Quote:Well, it's not exactly what you ask about, but hanging was associated with Odin thanks to his self hanging in order to gain knowledge; ritual hanging were important part of rituals in honor of Odin, who himself was called Lord of the Gallows or the Hanging God.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.